glow plug problems - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 07-29-2008, 04:56 PM   post #1 of 9
jaker
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 15282
Default glow plug problems

hey guys,
i am new to the forum and have a serious problem with my cub cadet 7200 tractor. this has been the 3rd time this year i have to replace the glow plugs on the tractor. so far, i have replaced the timer, the modual, and put brand new NGK glow plugs in the tractor. the cub cadet tractor i have has a Mitsubishi engine in it. can anyone offer me some advice on this? i am at the wits end. the only thing i have not replace yet is the key ignition on it. please help me.
jaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2008, 10:09 AM   post #2 of 9
ChrisA
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 19005
Default Re: glow plug problems

I have a CC882 diesel and have worked on many diesels. Are you sure the current is cutting off when you put the key in the run position? If the ignition is still putting current to the plugs while running that will burn them out fast. If you use ether that will also burn plugs up.
ChrisA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 05:26 PM   post #3 of 9
ralphmorgan
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 19107

You know that Mitsubishi uses a special glow plug in their 3 cylinder diesel engine. The Mitsubishi glow plug, at my dealer costs $42.95 each. Also, that engine has a glow plug controller. If the controller goes bad it will turn on the glow plugs during operation and that will burn them out. The average NGK plug costs $6.95. Which plug are you using? Have you checked the controller? Do you see the glow plug light come on when operating the tractor? It should not and that can be why your glow plugs are burning out so quickly. Even the special plug will burn out if the controller is activating it while the tractor is running. How do I know? Been that, done that.
ralphmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 04:01 PM   post #4 of 9
jaker
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 15282

hey i know its been a very long time. I didnt see anyone respond to this post i put up so i kinda gave up on it. the just today i seen 2 posts on it. so if your still out there, can someone help me. The glow plugs are still burning out in my tractor. I am sure the controller is good, its brand new. just put it in a year ago along with the timer. though i am not sure how to check them. but anyways. i rigged up my own system. i put my own push button switch to it so that i would know that they are turning off and staying off. i would only push the button in for 5 seconds then start the tractor and after it runs they would stay off. could this be pointing to something in the head? could the glow plugs be touching something inside the head? I have found out that, as long as the plugs work, i dont need starting fluid.

the glow plugs i do buy though, they cost 42.95 each. so they must be the special plugs. i cant find a alternative plug anywhere for that engine. any advice???
Old 02-28-2010, 06:07 PM   post #5 of 9
Kbeitz
Collector of many tractors

MTF Member # 86

Just tap into the glow plug wire and watch and see if the power is staying on....

Kbeitz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 12:53 PM   post #6 of 9
jaker
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 15282

i have tapped into the glow plug wire, and the light and plug goes out and to me stays out. i have even sat there with a volt meter to see if there is the slightest voltage goin to it, the most that even seemed to be there was 0.02 volts after the system activated. sometimes the 0.02 volts is there and sometimes its not. but i have held the volt meter there for 15min and no voltage was detected.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:56 PM   post #7 of 9
rscurtis
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 25367

There are two things you can check. Look at the voltage rating on the GP's. Some later engines use a controller to pulse 6 volt plugs with 12 volts to heat the up faster. If you're applying uncontrolled 12 v to 6v plugs, they won't last very long. Second, worn nozzles may have a poor spray pattern that is burning the plugs up.
rscurtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 05:12 PM   post #8 of 9
jaker
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 15282

i have checked the voltage directly at the glow plugs and found it to be a good 12 volts. after they turn off, they go down to 0 volts. is it possible for the spray patter on the injectors to burn the GP's out like that? i was thinkin that myself and thought, that they are in that constant heat all the time. could something be touching them inside the head where they screw into?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 09:27 PM   post #9 of 9
Youngstown Frank
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 53108

I have a MT 210 Compact Tractor, the Fuel Heat coil dose not glow anymore, it became hard to start after that, now this winter it will not start at all, but it does turn over. Where should I start?

Thanks,
Frank
Youngstown Frank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.