LA100 parking brake stuck? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 07-26-2008, 06:22 PM   post #1 of 13
RegH
Oldkid

MTF Member # 14966
Default LA100 parking brake stuck?

I feel guilty for posting the same thing on 2 different forums, but I've done the searching and can't find a cure..
-----------------------------------------------
Have had this 2 yr old machine less than a week and no manual yet from seller. [Photo inserted below]
(I have seen the online manual, which offers no solution)
Everything on this machine works fine, except park brake. What might I be doing wrong? Seems stuck.
Phone call to seller: he says he never used the park brake. Sheeesh!!
I know how it's supposed to work-- by holding the brake down, and operating the lock/unlock park brake switch.
Too hot to go out in the sun and poke around the machine. (I'm an older guy, was told not to do it).
---------------------------------------------------
Sidebar: My purchase of this mower is pending. I have a week to try it out. Price is not firm.
I understand the new price on this model is about $1600. This one has two long Louisiana summers (about ten months long down here) of work experience, shows little wear, and has been kept in a shed.
Any idea what might be a fair price (by private owner, not dealer)?

Much thanks

RegH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 07:36 PM   post #2 of 13
greenmachine
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 5705
Default Re: LA100 parking brake stuck?

Can you give us a bit more detail about what's not working? From the picture, I can see that the brake is in the released (not locked) position. Is it "stuck" in the unlocked position and you'd like to lock it?

That model was $1649 new in 2007.
Doing a quick search for used equipment, I couldn't find many LA110's out there to get a good idea of the price range. Looking at other 2007 LA models, the dealers seem to be asking about 20% below the original retail price. The LA110 doesn't have an hour meter as a standard feature, so you don't have a good data point there. 20% off puts it around $1300.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:33 PM   post #3 of 13
RegH
Oldkid

MTF Member # 14966

greenmachine....Thanks for reply

You have it right. The brake is stuck in unlock position. I want to use it as intended... to lock/unlock as I see fit.

Yes, there is no hour meter- considering our nearly year-round season, the hours are probably a little higher than many 2 year olds out there.
I must say, the PO has taken good care of it, doing proper maintenance, etc. (except for neglecting that park brake).
In my world, I use parking brakes. The manufacturer installs them, charges for them, and I want to use them!

Interesting to note that the value seems to hold up well huh?
Old 07-27-2008, 06:31 AM   post #4 of 13
picframer
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 11939

The brake looks the same as my 145, are you saying when you push the brake pedal all the way and then try to slide the orange lock, the orange lock will not move? Hard to believe in two years the fellow did not use the brake, even on level ground I always park both of my tractors with the brake on.

Andy

Smiling every Day!!! Andy
picframer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2008, 06:54 AM   post #5 of 13
Kbeitz
Collector of many tractors

MTF Member # 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by picframer View Post
The brake looks the same as my 145, are you saying when you push the brake pedal all the way and then try to slide the orange lock, the orange lock will not move? Hard to believe in two years the fellow did not use the brake, even on level ground I always park both of my tractors with the brake on.

Andy
I live in the Pennsylvania hills and I almost never use my parking brake...
I just turn my wheels uphill... It's just a habit...

I would check to see if the cam over lock stuck up on the high side...

Kbeitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2008, 06:59 AM   post #6 of 13
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 1086

Quote:
Originally Posted by picframer View Post

Andy
"when you push the brake pedal all the way"

The secret to brake operation may be in the above quote. I've found it takes considerable pressure on the pedal to set the brake.

If it's important to you and difficult to operate you might consider a different tractor.

I wouldn't give a nickel over $1,100 and that would depend on how well the deck has been cared for on the underneath side.
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 12:23 AM   post #7 of 13
RegH
Oldkid

MTF Member # 14966

Maybar, you may be right on--- it is a long reach, and although I can hold the brake pedal and start the engine, maybe the linkage is not engaging.
Usually I dig in to a problem and learn about it, but weather and time have kept me away. The mower is tied up under a tarp during the wet weather we have been experiencing.

I will get out there tomorrow and check it out.
Oh- and if you think I would consider a different tractor because of the park brake? R U Crazy? (friendly jest)
BTW- Original owner has level yard, likely never even thought about parking brake.
Thanks much for taking time to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybar View Post
"when you push the brake pedal all the way"

The secret to brake operation may be in the above quote. I've found it takes considerable pressure on the pedal to set the brake.

If it's important to you and difficult to operate you might consider a different tractor.

I wouldn't give a nickel over $1,100 and that would depend on how well the deck has been cared for on the underneath side.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:22 AM   post #8 of 13
Michael
Retired Mod

MTF Member # 21

My L120 ooperates the same, you have to fully depress the pedal and then pulling up on the orange handle it always locks. The only time I ever lock the brake is if I am getting off the tractor a moment to open a gate, as not setting the brake will instantly kill the engine.

The only way to start the engine is to depress the brake fully so if the orange handle is not locking then the most that could be wrong is the fact the linkage is not hooked up.

If anything here is a link that you can download and then read up on servicing this part.

http://mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=23974
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 10:10 AM   post #9 of 13
Jax
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 11018

Reg,
Does the lock lever move at all? My L120's lever will not move so I checked out the operation of the lever on a new tractor at Lowes.
As you know the parking break does require the foot break needs to be depressed, but no more so than needed to start the engine it seems.

The connecting rod for the lever disappears in to the frame where I can not see it yet, but I think there must be a cam that falls when the pedal is set forward enough. Either that cam is out of adjustment, or waht it moves has fallen off I am thinkning

I'll be poking at it tonight as I have resevered some time for moving int he family schedule.

I'll let you know what I see....
Old 07-30-2008, 11:05 AM   post #10 of 13
Jax
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 11018

So I felt out all the links for the brakes and I think that the rod connected to the parking brake's handle is supposed to drop into a notch right near the safety switch. However, the area is completely out of view.

The next step would be to dismount the plate the steering links mount to just under the glove basket. With this peeled down, one should be able to see what's going on. But I had to mow, so I did not drop that yet.

Jax
Old 08-09-2008, 07:17 AM   post #11 of 13
RegH
Oldkid

MTF Member # 14966
Thumbs up Re: LA100 parking brake stuck?

Been away for a little while, I appreciate you guys hanging in with me on this.
(Screwed up my Photobucket album and ruined the link to my LA100 photo) duhhh

Maybar-- Still no luck- that park brake is as stiff as if it's welded. I followed the actuator rod down to the floor, and gave up.

Michael- Thanks so much for the link, I tried to find the manual and only found the JD website with the "vanilla" html version, not easily downloadable. I'm thankful to have a lot of hard drive storage in this PC-- that manual is monster! :-)
BTW- I notice the manual cover does not specify LA100, just L100. Probably why I could find it.

JAX- Thank you too- for taking time to look into this. This is my first exposure to John Deer (small tractors) so I am completely baffled. I haven't studied the manual yet, so I have some homework to do.

And just for good measure.. I can almost hear someone say "Don't bother, if it's worked for 2 years without the brake, why worry?"
Well, imagine how many times that starter has had to fire that engine up during the last two years.
I ran a small YardBug in an RV park some years ago, and the starter gear failed in a year. After installing a new gear, I made some *adjustments* to the interlock which allowed me to get off the seat without the motor quitting, and 2 years later the gear looked fine! (Yeah, I know... safety).

So thanks, and sorry to be so wordy. Now lets see if I can redo the photo....

Old 08-09-2008, 11:21 AM   post #12 of 13
tallgrass
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 14192

Try spraying with wd-40, the spring and linkage in the dash part and linkage , had my jd setting in backyard for more than a few years (7) and linkage spring had rusted, the wd-40 freed it up, maybe yours will something as simple as resulting from high southern humidity.

Work the handle several times when you spray the spring and linkage.
tallgrass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2008, 05:52 PM   post #13 of 13
greenmachine
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 5705

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegH View Post
BTW- I notice the manual cover does not specify LA100, just L100. Probably why I could find it.
The low-end series of lawn mowers used to be simply the 100 series, but that got confusing with older, "real" tractors that had similar model numbers. The L was added to the front at some point, and then the L became LA in 2007. Essentially the same tractor, though, and a lot of that L100 series manual is applicable. Funny, even with the letters, Deere still calls it the "100 series" in marketing materials.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.