how to make a garden tractor 4wd - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 07-24-2008, 04:59 PM   post #1 of 23
redneck farmer
logging

MTF Member # 8739
Default how to make a garden tractor 4wd

i want to know how i can make a garden tractor 4wd help please
redneck farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 06:34 PM   post #2 of 23
attorney_barnabas_collins
MTF Junior Poster Esq.

MTF Member # 7575
Default Re: how to make a garden tractor 4wd

Dualies?
attorney_barnabas_collins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 06:56 PM   post #3 of 23
xPosTech
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 7990

At least four wheels on the GT?

Ted
Old 07-24-2008, 07:03 PM   post #4 of 23
professor
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 90

How are you at design, machining and fabrication? Real good?
I am not trying to be cute. That is what it would take.
Much easier path is to buy one.
professor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 07:32 PM   post #5 of 23
LilysDad
Just Have a Little Faith!

MTF Member # 7161

I've seen Cub Cadets converted to 6x4s by adding a second rearend.
LilysDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 08:08 PM   post #6 of 23
mark777
Administrator

MTF Member # 252

I believe if you don't have the correct splitter transmission and front diferential (plus driveshaft) to convert to 4WD that the best solution is Four independent hydraulic wheel motors.

Or.....you could use the original engine to drive one pump off the crank, power a pump motor to spin your original transmission and use two front wheel motors synchronized through a flow control valve. The valve would act as your speed control AND brakes and your original transmission would produce reverse gears....

Either way would be a little pricey, but it would be a very interesting project.

Mark
mark777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 08:26 PM   post #7 of 23
MTF Junior Poster Esq.

MTF Member # 7575

You COULD think totally out of the box. The biggest problem is the steering.

I used to have a Bolens yard keeper..articulated in the middle, rear engine with a front deck. They ran a pulley right at the pivot so the length didn't change when turning. That front belt could have been running a transmission as easy as a deck.

That would work in theory and be a lot cheaper.
attorney_barnabas_collins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 09:22 PM   post #8 of 23
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

I saw one garden tractor a guy made into a 4x4 by adding a "dead" axle behind the original transaxle,(a narrowed boat trailer axle)and putting two more tires on that axle identical to the original rear tires,that were driven by sprockets attached to the inside of the tractor's original rear rims and the two "new" ones,a # 50 roller chain on each wheel connected the original rear end's wheels to the newly added axle and tires..

He had to add a peice of angle iron to extend the tractors transaxle mount area,where it bolts to the frame,to allow him to bolt the new axle in place..

Though it was a simple setup,it worked very well,and didn't require a lot of other modifications to the tractor to make it a 4wd!..I liked it,and have thought about copying his idea....granted,all 4 driving wheels were located in the rear,but I watched him drive it over a 2' high stone wall in his yard without spinning any of the wheels,it climbed like a goat!..

....last I knew, he wanted to build another one like it,but this time use two dead axles,driven by the original transaxle with two sprockets in place of where the original rims would normally be--that way he could gear it down a lot more for less speed and more power,he wasn't really satisfied with the first one he built,felt it was "too fast" and he wanted a "creeper gear" for towing and going over rough terrain....haven't seen him lately,I dont know if he ever built it yet..

Robert
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2008, 12:53 AM   post #9 of 23
Caseguytoo
Banned!

MTF Member # 7029

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck farmer View Post
i want to know how i can make a garden tractor 4wd help please
Buy one.
Caseguytoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2008, 03:23 AM   post #10 of 23
Jennifer Gallagher
Banned

MTF Member # 12265

Redneck Farmer, you'd have to get a front differential that runs off the main power output that has axles with CV (constant velocity) joints so you can steer and deliver power to the wheels at the same time. You could probably match the front and rear differential ratios if you spent some time doing research. It might be less expensive though (as far as your time goes) to find a used 4wd tractor to fit your needs. If your like me though you'll have to build one for yourself if that what's you have in your mind to do
Jennifer Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2008, 02:44 PM   post #11 of 23
bbrigham
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 5593

Can be answered in three words.....TIME,SKILLS,MONEY.....all in large quantities. I've seen a few Cub Cadets that guys built and they were very nicely done, know another guy doing a 4x4 Cub and what he has done so far is sweet. Another guy on this forum, Scott Cooper, has a real nice articulating Cub. Search the forum for "articulating" and you should find it. All of those guys have skills most of us can just dream about.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:30 PM   post #12 of 23
MTF Junior Poster Esq.

MTF Member # 7575

Let me tell you one thing from first hand experience. It is VERY easy to start a project, very hard to finish it when the time, money & work end up being 5 times what your plans were.

I should know, I have a dozen half finished projects. Dang, I really don't have that much to go on the Cub/Cushman golf cart but I haven't touched it in a month. Just got it back inside the building the other day. Should start again soon, but just keeping up with the yard & house takes up most of my free time.
This is what I was doing yesterday. Soft spot in front of the back door. Pulled up the tile, cut out the subfloor, put in a new patch, hardwood laminate flooring over it with $60 worth of trim kit. (the door doesn't leak and doesn't even get hit by rain because of the overhang on the south side..its the dang plantstand and overwatering that did it)

Today I started parting a 990 & SS16 craftsman, but got interrupted to go pu the PT Cruiser I wrecked from the repair shop, (they saved the flamejob..yeah!) gave blood, and eating a late lunch before I go vacuum the church van I volunteer to drive that hasn't been cleaned this year it appears.

It is always something. Think how badly and quickly and expensively you want to build your 4wd custom tractor, then multiply by 5.

(ok the photos are out of order.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	43667   Click image for larger version

Name:	f3.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	43668   Click image for larger version

Name:	f4.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	43669   Click image for larger version

Name:	f2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	43670  

Old 07-27-2008, 12:35 AM   post #13 of 23
Dangeroustoys56
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 13834

The only 'true' 4x4 homade conversion ive seen was on a was on a tractor for offroading only- it was lifted a couple feet up, the guy used two 1" axles with differentials - couple of idler shafts - chain drive. On the front axle two large ujoints were used to turn the wheels with 'cages' to keep the wheels in place.

Needless to say- after all the drivetrain was in place- theres no room for a deck.... would be more cost effective to just buy one with it .
Old 07-27-2008, 09:29 AM   post #14 of 23
tractormike
Still Plays With Tractors

MTF Member # 4589

I made a four wheel drive by adding a second rear end to the back of an allis B-10. I still steer it by the regular front end. The second rear end and tranny is belt driven from the first tranny and both use the same clutch. The rear tranny has 6 inches of up and down movement by mounting it with a 4 bar linkage to the back of the stock tractor.

Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 09:41 AM   post #15 of 23
olcowhand
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 529

If wanting a 4WD with the front steering wheels pulling, it would be very difficult & expensive to do. You could get one of the MTD's that had 4 wheel steer and use the rear hydro with it's universal'd turning assemblies & bolt it to the front of chassis. But it would be difficult if not impossible to get the speeds equal between front & rear. You could run the front diff off the PTO clutch & only use front wheel drive when needed, eliminating the need for speeds to be exactly equal, but when disengaging the front hydro, you'd also have to pull out the hydro "free-wheeling" valve to allow it to roll free. There are ways, but just the fact you are asking is telling me you may want to ditch the idea. It would be extremely difficult at best.

http://gardentractortalk.com/
olcowhand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.