Laws for driving tractors on the road - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 07-18-2008, 08:57 AM   post #1 of 8
queen of spades
me

MTF Member # 5386
Default Laws for driving tractors on the road

My new tractor came with headlights, tail lights and turn signals. Is it legal to drive these on the roads?
queen of spades is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2008, 09:04 AM   post #2 of 8
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 1086
Default Re: Laws for driving tractors on the road

You'll need to check the laws of the state you're in.

Where I live it's illegal to move farm machinery after dark. Even with flashers, once in awhile a tractor will still get rear ended. Auto drivers just don't realize how fast they overcome the speed of a tractor when they are driving 70 mph. And then as always there are those with an attitude.
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2008, 10:08 AM   post #3 of 8
Dachshund
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 770

Also - after checking your local laws - check YOUR INSURANCE POLICY! Depending on company, size of your farm, area, and type of policy, you MIGHT not be covered. ANYWHERE off of your property!

On some policies, you would be covered for accidents "on premisis", but not on the road to your field, even if it only a trip of 50 FEET to the gate. Check with your agent and make SURE.
Dachshund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 AM   post #4 of 8
olcowhand
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 529

A guy was moving his discbine on the highway last week here. Was 10pm, had flashers on, marker lights & a pace car with flashers ahead. The discbine took part of the far lane & a car hit it head-on & went under it. Took the entire top off the car, but somehow the people were only slightly injured. Lucky, VERY lucky! Laws let this stuff move here at night, but I'd never move my wide tools at night...period!

http://gardentractortalk.com/
olcowhand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2008, 10:42 AM   post #5 of 8
Jr88Fan
Proud Father of 2 Girls

MTF Member # 7914

They drive them on the highways around here which I think is very dangerous. Especially on hills. I wish they would keep to the secondary or dirt roads.

But this is Farm Country.

I used to own a Fiero and thought it would be fun to drive under one of these on the highway but never had the guts to try it.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:58 AM   post #6 of 8
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

around here the laws about farm equipment on the highway are that it must move to the far right and allow any traffic to pass. if pulling a large implement it must be folded and raised as high as it will go if it does not have it's own wheels. Flashers and a slow vehicle reflective triangle must be used, even in daylight. i have seen BIG 4x4 tractors pulling 40 ft wide dirt levelers down teh highway many times.

as far as lawn equipment, as long as you are able to maintain MINIMUM speed for that road it is legal. minimum here is 20 mph below max except in residential 2 lane streets there is no minimum since max is 15-20. and no driving on sidewalks either! you can drive on it to cut the edges, but not to travel somewhere.

no matter what, BE SAFE. i have had idiots almost run me over before cutting the grass between teh ditch and the main road. after the 3 rd tiem it happened i now only spray that area from safely across the ditch.
davidg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2008, 06:42 PM   post #7 of 8
usedtobeafarmer
MTF Member

MTF Member # 14817

Jr88fan: I never wanted to drive under one, but I once saw two guys on motorcycles zip under a sprayer. The guy driving it, well when they popped out from under the front end, his eyes were bigger than his wheels!

"Moving farm machinery on the road: The one thing about farming I DON'T miss."
usedtobeafarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2008, 09:10 AM   post #8 of 8
Dangeroustoys56
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 13834

Well, i can say this for a fact- you legally CANNOT drive a lawntractor down the street in florida- altho its leagal to drive atvs, golf carts and pretty much anything else apparantly. Its definitly not legal on main roads- side streets/backroads- maybe can get away with.

How do i know? I took my 'slightly' modifed 94 Murray lawntractor down the street( its a side street outside of town) n met officer freindly. I was maybe doing 20ish ( its capable of higher speeds)- its a 30mph zone and a dirt road- when he pulled me over. He didnt give me a ticket, basically just a warning saying it wasnt a legal road vehicle and wanted to just check out the tractor, since hed never seen one before like that. He actually was pretty cool about it.

Chances are its not legal anywhere else to drive one down the road either......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.