Cub Cadet 1440 stalls out - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 AM   post #1 of 37
mjm-ny
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 14188
Default Cub Cadet 1440 stalls out

Newbie here writing in and was looking for some help!! I have a 94 1440 w/ a Briggs 14hp engine. This is what is happening: will start up and run fine and mow fine for 20 minutes or so. Then it will start to bog down, throttle seems to surge up and down some and will eventually quit. If the PTO is on and I switch it off sometimes it will regain the rpm's but still throttle real rough. I can start it right back up again after it quits but may take a minute to get back up to idle. If i turn PTO on again it will do same thing.

Pretty much have it narrowed to carb and/or coils. I have taken the carb off and completely cleaned it by dipping in carb cleaner and then blowing it out w/ air. I am waiting for new gaskets to put it back together.

I have also purchased two new coils. Reading the card inside the coil box i guess there is a certain way you need to install them? Can someone give me some hints here?

Also, what does the problem sound like to you guys?

Thanks for any help!!!
mjm-ny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2008, 09:02 AM   post #2 of 37
Dave01
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 8898
Default Re: Cub Cadet 1440 stalls out

Coils are a good place to start, see if the new ones make a difference. I'd change out one at a time to isolate which one is bad, then install the other new one and keep the good old one for a spare, assuming this fixes the problem.

See if your gas cap is venting properly. Either run with the cap loose to see if the problem goes away, or wait for it to stumble then loosen the cap to see if you hear suction and the tractor rpms pick up again. The 20 minutes is ususally the right interval for gas cap problems.

Finally, put 2 new spark plugs in if you haven't already. The stumble and difficulty running the pto probably means one cylinder is firing, the other not, so an intermittant plug insulator break or plug wire could be the problem. I doubt it is a carb issue, you start and run fine, then re-start fine so it sounds to me like the carb is OK. Good luck!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:22 AM   post #3 of 37
mjm-ny
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 14188

i appreciate your help, hopefully i can get her put back together this week and test it out. as far as putting coils back on, i guess the flywheel has to be in a certain position or something?? any ideas??
Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 AM   post #4 of 37
DLF_IN
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 1844

When you install the new coils you will need to set the air gap. It should be
.010 to .012. You can use a business card to set the gap. Turn the flywheel so the magnets are close to the coil and with the coil loose put the card between the coil and the flywheel. Hold the card and turn the flywheel until the magnet pulls the coil and the card against it, Tighten the coil and take the card out. Turn the flywheel at least one full turn by hand to make sure it does not hit the coil. That 's it.
Dave
DLF_IN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 11:51 AM   post #5 of 37
mjm-ny
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 14188

perfect, thanks for all the help!!! will update to let ya know if it's fixed!!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 02:04 PM   post #6 of 37
Bill Kapaun
Circumflatulater

MTF Member # 6264

I would check the gas cap first. Just loosen it momentarily when the problem occurs.
IF the problem continues, I'd check for spark immediately after it quits to verify a bad coil.
Bill Kapaun is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 05:44 PM   post #7 of 37
mjm-ny
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 14188

i hope it's not as easy as the gas cap (lol!!) i have everything torn apart!!! that was fiun!! and i can't wait to put it all back together!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:08 PM   post #8 of 37
IndianaTim
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 12778

The exact same thing was happening to my 23HP Kohler powered GT the first day it came home(6 years old, new to me). I was really concerned at first, but then I realized that my carb was running just a little lean, and all I had to do was pull out the choke about 3/16" and it smoothed right out and has run fine ever since. I leave the choke in that position when I run.

Tim
IndianaTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2008, 10:05 AM   post #9 of 37
xPosTech
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 7990

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaTim View Post
The exact same thing was happening to my 23HP Kohler powered GT the first day it came home(6 years old, new to me). I was really concerned at first, but then I realized that my carb was running just a little lean, and all I had to do was pull out the choke about 3/16" and it smoothed right out and has run fine ever since. I leave the choke in that position when I run.

Tim
Tim you should adjust the carb if possible. I think there is two adjustments on the carb, an idle speed and idle mixture. Even though they call it idle mixture it might clear up your lean condition. Lean is not good. Shame on CARB/EPA.

Spend a few bucks and get a can of Seafoam and follow the directions for adding to fuel. It's cleared up lots of carb problems for me. You will probably have to put a carb kit on it down the road.

Ted
Old 07-03-2008, 10:24 AM   post #10 of 37
mjm-ny
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 14188

speaking of carbs, since i removed mine to clean it out, i unscrewed the idle valve. what are the proper setting for putting this back in?? how many turns out do i go?
Old 07-06-2008, 02:22 PM   post #11 of 37
mjm-ny
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 14188

well here is the update and it's not good news... I put two new coils on and a newly cleaned carb and the problem continues. So i thought maybe it's the gas cap. When it started to bog down and surge i took the gas cap off and no change. If/when it stalls out i turn the key over and it starts right back up. i can mow for 30 sec or so and it will start to cough and sputter. kick PTO off and it will smooth out the idling but will just repeat the process. not sure where to go from here....
Old 07-06-2008, 03:49 PM   post #12 of 37
Bill Kapaun
Circumflatulater

MTF Member # 6264

I don't recall seeing the possibility of a restricted fuel filter being raised?

Did you check for spark when it quit?
Old 07-06-2008, 04:29 PM   post #13 of 37
mjm-ny
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 14188

i have installed a new fuel filter. how do i check for spark when it quits? pull the plug then ground it to chassis and turn the key over?
Old 07-06-2008, 04:47 PM   post #14 of 37
mjm-ny
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 14188

on a side note, it seems to want to sputter and stall out more when i'm on a slant. on level ground it seems to run better...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008, 07:04 PM   post #15 of 37
Bill Kapaun
Circumflatulater

MTF Member # 6264

For a spark tester, I use an old plug and open the gap op "rather wide". I use it in place of the regular plug and ground it to the engine. I use a pair of pliers to hold it and a rag as an insulator because I hate jolts!

Sounds like water in the gas tank???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.