Simplicity Regent 22/44 roll call / review - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 06-18-2008, 11:07 AM   post #1 of 30
lawnmon
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11078
Default Simplicity Regent 22/44 roll call / review

I noticed several members with fairly new Simplicity Regents with the 22HP engine and the 44" deck. Give details as you see fit.

My SR 22/44 was new this spring. I have the non-powered triple bagger. I cut a small 1/3 acre lot with a very gentle slope in a few places. Clearly, this is more mower than I need, but I didn't want to buy a junky mower.

I feel that the 22 HP ELS has more power than I'll ever need. I almost went with the Broadmoor because of the Vanguard engine, but felt that the ELS with the canister filter will probably outlast me. It's also a 40 CI engime and appears to be decent on gasoline usage.

The mower's overall design look excellent to me. It seems like a great compromise of cost and strength. Maintenance should be easy as things are laid out logically and easy to reach.

The deck is the heaviest I've seen in this price range. I like the greasable spindles and extreme ease with which it can be removed and installed. The infinite height adjustment is what the doctor ordered for someone with OCD (me).

Now, the cut is remarkable. It just doesn't get any better. The rollers leave the 'ballpark stripes' that are sensational. The whole point of a lawn tractor is to cut grass and this is the gold standard. Period.

Other items:

I like the RIO and how it's implemented. I plan on removing the RIO key when my children cut with it so they don't have the reverse mow option.

The steering radius is tops. This machine is so manueverable.

I like the 22" rear tires and I get a decent ride, better than I expected. The 22/44 also give the TT46HD that has a slightly higher capacity than the regular TT46.

The bagger lacks the suction of the powered bagger, but it does a fine job. It's very easy to remove and reinstall should the need arise. The bagger kit includes baffles for the deck to increase bagging efficiency.

Overall, this machine is a winner. My father-in-law remarks about the improvements they made over his 7 or 8 year old Regent (which has been very dependable). The jury is still out on the durability of this mower, but all signs point to it very durable and dependable.

Bottom line: Mower looks good, I'm happy and the lawn looks great.

Jack
lawnmon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 11:27 AM   post #2 of 30
xs6dfg0
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 11561
Default Re: Simplicity Regent 22/44 roll call / review

Ditto everything you said.

My new 22/44 has been incredible. The cut with the ballpark stripes is the best and two of my neighbors have actually commented on how good the lawn looks.

I skipped the bagger in favor of the mulch kit. I don't have an easy way to dispose of grass clippings.

The mulch kit, including deck baffles, easy open side discharge gate, and blades was $169, installed. I thought that was a lot of money until I saw how well this thing mulched. I hated mowing my 1/2 acre yard with a push mower, so I was putting it off until my tractor was delivered. My grass had grown to about 6 to 7 inches before I cut it with my new Regent. I set the deck to 4 inches and cut it. No bogging down and no grass clippings were visible anywhere. This is probably the best mulching machine I've ever seen.

Check your air cleaner often! I checked mine at 2.5 hours and the pre-cleaner was filthy.......looked like a bird was building a nest in there.

Jay
xs6dfg0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2008, 11:39 AM   post #3 of 30
lawnmon
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11078

Jay,

Do you have a part # for the mulching kit? I'm wondering if the baffles are the same. If so, I may mulch some.

Jack
Old 06-19-2008, 04:42 PM   post #4 of 30
xs6dfg0
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 11561

I will see if I can find out what the part number(s) is.

I ordered the mulch kit with the tractor and they installed it for me.

Curiously, the tech said that the stock blades were the same as the mulch blades. So I have a spare set of blades that is exactly the same as the ones on the tractor.
xs6dfg0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2008, 10:38 AM   post #5 of 30
soykmw
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 14784

I've got a question for someone who has a Regent 22/44. What is the total width of the machine? The simplicity website says that the width is 56" including the side discharge deflector. I have a fenced backyard with a gate that has 49" clearance. Would a 22/44 fit through that gate if the side discharge deflector is folded up (assuming it is mounted on hinges) or removed? Thanks
soykmw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 07:46 AM   post #6 of 30
lawnmon
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11078

Quote:
Originally Posted by soykmw View Post
I've got a question for someone who has a Regent 22/44. What is the total width of the machine? The simplicity website says that the width is 56" including the side discharge deflector. I have a fenced backyard with a gate that has 49" clearance. Would a 22/44 fit through that gate if the side discharge deflector is folded up (assuming it is mounted on hinges) or removed? Thanks
I've taken the side discharge deflector off mine because I always bag. As near as I can determine, it's between 46" and 47" with no defelctor. I believe it can be pulled up out of the way and would add no width to the mower. With the bagger chute, I'm at 48.5 " at the widest part of the mower.

Best of luck,

Jack
Old 07-21-2008, 11:19 AM   post #7 of 30
soykmw
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 14784

Thanks for the information. I am moving from Iowa to Michigan in a month and am trying to buy a tractor from a dealer in MI, so I don't have the opportunity to go to the dealer and measure myself. Thanks again.
soykmw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2008, 10:07 AM   post #8 of 30
lawnmon
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11078

I’ve used my Regent for mowing this season and thought I’d write a first season review. I’ll do this in three posts. The first will review the mower and deck. The second will review the triple bagger and the third will review the mulching kit.

The mower can best be described as quality, entry level mower designed to last a long time when used on a suburban lot of under two acres that doesn’t have any real climbing challenges. It is built in an old-school way using modern components. The summary is that it accomplishes what it sets out to do.

The frame of the tractor is a medium duty lawn tractor grade with everything laid out in a logical fashion. It’s easy to understand and work on. The controls are logical and straightforward. The safety systems, seat switch and reverse mow, work effectively and do not seem bothersome. The fuel tank is large and it’s easy to see the fuel level. The seat is easily adjustable and reasonably comfortable. The pullies and belts seem easy to change. There is an electric blade engage and a manual deck lift. It has a very short turning radius. The hood is still metal, a nice touch.

My model is the 22 HP twin-cylinder, 44” cut model. It uses a TT K-46 hydro and a 22HP B&S ELS with the newer cartridge style air filter. It also has 22” rear wheels giving a nice ride.

The deck is the star of the show in my opinion. It’s very heavy, well made, and floats via full-width rear rollers that leave an awesome stripe in your lawn. (if the stripes don’t appeal, the Snapper LT200 series is similar, but offered with a non-floating deck sans the full-width rollers. The deck is infinitely adjustable in height. The spec says that the limit is 4”, but it appears to me that it can actually go much higher. I have to mention that the deck is very easy to remove and install as the rollers assist in helping get it from under the tractor.

Now the problems. If you cut at 4” or so, the transport position will NOT take the rollers off the ground. In fact, it will not raise the deck at all. I played with this looking for a solution and I found it. The spec calls for 2 cable lifts, part # 1733126SM. I found that using 2 of part # 1733125SM, the part used on the 38” deck, allows you to use the transport setting when cutting at a 4” height. The other problem is a cavity at the right front corner of the deck that fills with clippings. If you cut wet grass, be sure to clean this cavity or the deck will have high rust potential.

I’d rate the mower at an 8 out of 10, and the deck at 9 out of 10.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:08 AM   post #9 of 30
lawnmon
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11078

I installed a non-powered triple bagger. Simplicity only uses the non-powered baggers on the Regent line, so I was skeptical. The bagger kit included 2 “anti-blowout” baffles for the front of the deck. The baffles are easy to install using carriage bolts in pre-drilled holes in the deck. The baffles, mounting hardware and bags seem to be very high quality. The bagger is easy to remove and re-install. The large, plastic cover that tops the bags and the tube that routes grass from the deck to the bags seem to be more cheaply made and I doubt they’ll match the life of the other components on this bagger. The good news is that these parts are available and would be very simple to replace. I would rate this bagger as a 7 out of 10 on quality. However, it picks up very well, remember, I cut at a 4” height, so I’d give it a 9 out of 10 on performance. You don’t need a powered bagger on this Regent.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:09 AM   post #10 of 30
lawnmon
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11078

I recently installed a mulch kit (part # 1694957) on my Regent. It took 1 hour and 15 minutes to get the mower out of storage, remove the bagger, store the bagger, install the mulch kit, and put the mower away. It was very easy. The 2 baffles and the “block-off plate” installed easily using carriage bolts using the pre-drilled holes in the deck. The blades are similar to the regular blades, the only difference being that the sharp edge is about 60% longer than with the standard blade. In cutting, it left no stringers in fairly high grass. I inspected the lawn the following day and found one hand-sized clump that probably fell from the deck as I was making a turn. This clump revealed that the cuttings were very fine so the mulcher did its job. There was no visible blowout and I actually found fewer clipping had reached concrete bordering the lawn than I find with the bagger. The only exception is when I come off the grass straight at a 90-degree angle onto concrete it leaves a little trail of finely cut clippings for a couple of feet. This is to be expected when you realize how and where the grass is going to leave the deck. For quality and performance, I’d rate the mulch kit at a 9 out of 10.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:39 AM   post #11 of 30
Gerrish
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 14081

Dear Santa

I would like a Regent 22/44 but could probably limp along with a 22/38. It should have a mulching kit and I would like to have it delivered for less than $1,950.

I've been a good (uh, tolerable) boy. I will give my Sabre to a deserving family Santa so they can begin to appreciate mowing lazy and working on their own dream.

Your friend,

Mike
Gerrish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008, 09:58 AM   post #12 of 30
lawnmon
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11078

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrish View Post
Dear Santa

I would like a Regent 22/44 but could probably limp along with a 22/38. It should have a mulching kit and I would like to have it delivered for less than $1,950.

I've been a good (uh, tolerable) boy. I will give my Sabre to a deserving family Santa so they can begin to appreciate mowing lazy and working on their own dream.

Your friend,

Mike
Mike,

Simplicity just had a price increase. I'd check dealers now that we're at the end of the season. Or, maybe Christmas week, a dealer may need to be Santa and be a little short of cash. A 22/44 Regent? You'd be lucky to get a new one for $2500. Mulch kit, maybe $170.

Best of luck,

Jack
Old 09-05-2008, 04:23 PM   post #13 of 30
Gerrish
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 14081

Jack

I know about the prices that's why I wrote Santa...and, the 38" is probably fine for my yard 'cause it isn't very big.

I'm continuing to watch as we get closer to the end of the (model) year. So far a dealer outside Chicago will ship a 20/38 for $2K but I haven't talked to them about a bit more grunt 'n the mulcher.

By the way...thanks for taking time to post the info you did on yours. It is useful.

Mike
Gerrish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 01:19 PM   post #14 of 30
cjett
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 15925

I just took delivery of a Regent 20/38 with the mulch kit installed at the end of July. It does a great job on the lawn with not a trace of grass clippings left anywhere. My lawn has never looked this good, so level and smooth, I'm very happy with this mower. I do have a question about it's first oil change, but I will start a new thread in a bit for that.

Good luck with the model you end up with.
cjett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 04:04 PM   post #15 of 30
RED-85-Z51
Certified Technician

MTF Member # 2950

Il point out some good points for all you owners...

The Spindles are easily removed and rebuilt if you have a bearing go out, keep em greased and 5+ years cutting ALOT of grass is easily doable.

The deck rollers do wear unfortunately..Average life of a set of rollers is about 5 years depending on how much you mow. Good news is rollers are cheap, plentiful, and in about 45 minutes or less you can have the deck off, rollers changed, and a set of blades put on.

Simplicity blades are thicker than normal blades, and can generally be sharpened a few times.

The regent is the best bang for the buck out there, the Broadmoor should be utilized for yards larger than an acre though..they are just built heavier. However the decks are the same.

1962 WH702

1995 K3500 Silverado
TBI 454

1995 K2500 Silverado
6.5 Detroit Turbo Diesel

1994 GMC Sierra Z71
350 TBI

RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.