Home Brew Carb Cleaner?? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Small Engines and Repair

Midwest Mower Pro

Old 06-13-2008, 07:47 AM   post #1 of 4
mark777
Administrator

MTF Member # 252
Default Home Brew Carb Cleaner??

Hey Folks,

Somewhere, someplace…and some time ago, I recall reading some very interesting and helpful suggestions on what people use to clean and boil out their carburetors. Well, long story short , I cant find that post and just wondered if you can relate your homebrewed success stories.

I do use a strong solution of 70%water with 30% Muriatic acid for removing galvanized coatings and rusty parts that thoroughly get washed, sand blasted and ready for paint…but think, even a much weaker solution of this combination would damage the aluminum on a carburetor (probably maybe)?

I’m looking for a chemical solution where I can drop a carb in for a few hours (or overnight)…and remember someone posting some simple but effective ingredients. Does anyone remember what those ingredients are/were??

Thanks,

Mark
mark777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2008, 09:04 AM   post #2 of 4
Stan the Air Man
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 8600
Default Re: Home Brew Carb Cleaner??

The following may be the cleaning method you are referring to:

I would only use this method on a carburetor that is heavily varnished, cannot be replaced and is worth the effort to save. This will not clean every carburetor but I have found it to work when chemicals did not. Totally disassemble carburetor, removing welch plugs and all nonmetallic parts. Fill a metal container, large enough to completely immerse the carburetor, with water and add ½ to 1 cup of powdered Tide detergent for each gallon of water. Only use powdered Tide, do not substitute. Bring the water to a boil. Place carburetor in the boiling solution. Leave the carburetor in the boiling solution for one hour. After 1 hour remove carburetor from the boiling water and rinse in hot water to remove residue. Scrubbing with a nonmetallic brush is helpful in removing residue.
This cleaning method is a home version of the industrial cleaning method using caustic soda. I have found this method to work when others fail. An ultrasonic cleaner may be the only thing better. This method will not harm the molecular structure of metal parts. The temperature of the boiling solution never exceeds 220 degrees Fahrenheit. To change the molecular structure of aluminum requires much higher temperatures. The corrosion protection will most likely be removed from the part. If corrosion is a real concern, aluminum parts can be protected by alodining or applying a paintable primer. Alodining provides durable anti-corrosion protection for aluminum parts in non-wear uses and a very good prime surface for paint where additional coating is needed.

Since I came across Valucraft Carb Cleaner carburetor cleaner I have not used any other cleaning method. However, I have not had one so varnished that needed the Tide boil method. Valucraft Carb Cleaner is a cleaner sold by at Auto Zone parts stores. It is an Auto Zone brand “Valucraft Carb Cleaner” Part Number: AZ-4, 13 ounces in a yellow and black aerosol can with a red plastic cap. It sells for about $2.00 per can. I have been very successful in cleaning carburetors often without removing them from the engine. I have not had many carburetors I could not clean. Sometimes I use the entire can. At the price it sells for, so what.

WARNING - Do not get “Valucraft Carb Cleaner” in your eyes or on your skin. Use a full-face shield for eye and face protection. Wear protective gloves. The cleaner will damage rubber so remove rubber carburetor parts to prevent damage.

Valucraft Carb Cleaner will melt and wash away varnish. Spray as much cleaner as possible into the idle and intermediate passage. Follow by blowing out with compressed air.
Stan the Air Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2008, 04:17 PM   post #3 of 4
Dude11
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 8852

Mark,Stan has it right and it works great but I have been known to let it cook a tad more than 1hr.I also use a fish cooker burner and a large coffee can.Best thing about this little dittie is,there's nothing in it that will put your eyes at risk and when your finished just throw it out,no harm to grass or plants.(just let it cool first)
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2008, 06:07 PM   post #4 of 4
mark777
Administrator

MTF Member # 252

Stan,

Thanks for the very detailed explanation.

I just finished a coffee can/MAPP torch and tide bath - with the Walbro carb from this Honda thing I got going on...

It looks much better and when I reassemble the engine and fire it up I'll know if it works!

Thanks for the help guys.

Mark
mark777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.