Older Craftsman II Dump Cart - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 06-02-2008, 11:43 AM   post #1 of 17
xPosTech
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 7990
Default Older Craftsman II Dump Cart

You know how it goes . . . a friend is cleaning out the backyard and offers a dump cart. And yeah, I had to lend a hand in the cleanup, too. It wasn't acquired new so he has no idea as to year made.

This one is all black, is missing the model sticker but is marked boldly in white on the sides "Craftsman II 14 cu.ft. Dump Cart". It's built a little better than the average dumps I've seen. 34" long 1" solid axle, 16X6.50X8 Turfsavers. The heavy C channel tongue has a spring loaded hitch pin.

I'm guessing late 80's since my Craftsman II GT-18 is an '89.

Can anyone come close with a model number so I can try to find some wheels? The ones on it are rusted so bad they leak air (not from the bead - from the holes in'em!) and I don't want to tube them for fear of collapse.

Hub length is 3" and 3/4" inset both sides. My cheap 10 cu.ft. cart has I guess wheelbarrow tires - 4.80X4.00X8 and 3/4" axle.

I suppose keyed hubs would work but I only have 3/4" hubs in my limited "stock". We have no lawn/garden tractor graveyards around here. (Unless I want to go to Orange. ). If it'll help I'll get pics when I get down to it - it was loaded first in my trailer.

Thanks Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 11:45 AM   post #2 of 17
scrodamoon
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 7911
Default Re: Older Craftsman II Dump Cart

yup ya cant beat the quality of the older stuff, nowadays everything is just slapped together with the cheapest of materials and painted to look pretty.
scrodamoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 12:29 PM   post #3 of 17
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

Northern Tool has several types of wheels listed in their catalog for purposes like your trailer..I am leaning toward "semi-peumatic" tires,I have trouble keeping air in any pneumatic ones lately due to dry rot--tires here crack and leak quite rapidly..

I'd say if you have 3/4" axles,regular whellbarrow rims with 3" wide hubs will work just fine for you,and you can get them cheap at Lowes or Home Depot,or a hardware store or Tractor Supply,etc..though you may want to put 8" tractor tires with wider treads on them to help floatation on muddy or soft ground..

Most of the new wheelbarrow tires are real cheaply built,more like thick inner tubes with ribs than tires really!--they are very wimpy,I don't know how they hold the weight of a loaded wheelbarrow and not pop like ballons when you run over a sharp object!..but the rims will hold any weight you pile on them no sweat,and have greaseable ball bearings..you can also put 8" boat trailer tires on those rims,and they are available with 2,4,or 6 ply rating if your concerned about the weight capacity..

I've used "space saver" spare tires I get free or very cheap at boneyards for yard carts,by welding on a new "center" for the rim with the correct sized hole..on one cart I made,I used old worn out sprockets or pulleys with the right sized bore as the "hub",I just centered it by eye and welded them to the rim..you could bolt them to the lug nut holes instead,if you lacked a welder..those rims and tires are very rugged,I've seen full sized John Deere farm tractors with the "tricycle" front ends use them and have no issues,even with a bucket loader on them..

Robert
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2008, 03:56 PM   post #4 of 17
xPosTech
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 7990

Northern Tool didn't have anything I could use. Grainger has the same AGRI-FAB cart with 1" axles but replacement units are $54 each. The TSC web site and a phone call assured me they had them ($28.99) in stock in Beaumont. It took a 50 mile round trip to let them know that they indeed did not have them in stock.

"Will you sell me a pair off the AGRI-FAB 4 wheel wagon and replace them when you get them in?"

"No, sorry but it appears we have already sold them off the wagon. I just emergency ordered 6 - 2 for you and 4 for us. Here's your raincheck."

"Why didn't you order 8 so you would have 2 in stock?"

"They won't let us emergency order normal stock."

I'm in the process of booting one wheel and tubing both tires. Yes, I said booting the wheel. It appears to have another valve hole.

They said they will call when the wheels and tires come in. It's still upside down on my trailer so pics of it maybe this evening. The kludge on the wheel will let me get it to the backyard.

That's a hard plastic boot I stuck in backed up with a 3 inch round patch you see, not the tube. 16X650X8 tubes were $11.92 + tax so I 'll pull them out when the new wheels arrive. Note that the tires still have the casting nipples on the tread. I don't know if the PO ever used the trailer.

The tires had been Fix-A-Flatted. It took a half can of talcum powder for each one to get the tubes in. Course, I had to dry them out, too. Heh . . . they didn't have enough water in them to weight them properly.

Ted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00137.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	40239  
Old 06-04-2008, 04:14 PM   post #5 of 17
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 1086

Aw heck xPostech , that wheel is in good shape compared to my wheel barrow wheel. But I got lucky. My brother had a new one with ball bearings that had been hanging in his barn for longer than he could remember. All it needed was paint.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wheelbarrow  Wheel old one 11-20-07.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	40240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheelbarrow  Wheel new one 11-29-07.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	40241  
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2008, 04:57 PM   post #6 of 17
xPosTech
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 7990

I was tempted to put 4.80X400X8 (wheelbarrow) tubes in for just a few days. They were much cheaper and available everywhere I looked.

The green one does look a little better.

The first thing I thought of when I looked at your pics was "I don't remember removing the piece of valve stem I cut off on the second wheel!" Well no, I just haven't finished the second wheel yet. It's still drying out so I can get the tube in. Water and talcum don't mix very well.

I need to get off my behind and back to the wheels. I just came in for coffee and a sandwich. That was almost an hour ago.

Ted
Old 06-05-2008, 11:27 AM   post #7 of 17
xPosTech
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 7990

Some belated pics. Couple of things I like about this lil trailer is the true dump gate (which needs straightening so it will lock) and the spring loaded hitch pin. Can't lose the pin.

The GT-18 and this trailer both say Craftsman II. I don't know whether to order decals for the restores or just do some custom paint. Maybe twin straight stacks for the opposed Briggs. I'm gettin' upset at one of the neighbors.

TSC hasn't called on the wheels yet but I don't expect them to for a few days. Hopefully the wheels I ordered have 3 inch centered hubs.

I PB blasted all the nuts but I think I'll probably be cutting most of them off. That's the dark streaks you see in some of the pics. On some bolts at the rear where it was sitting on the ground in the PO's back yard the nuts are totally rusted away.

I'm moving all kinds of stuff to the back yard (in this and my other lil 10 cuft on the Murray. One more and I gotta go.

Later
Ted
Old 06-05-2008, 11:35 AM   post #8 of 17
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 1086

That will sure make a nice trailer when you get it restored.
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2008, 11:46 AM   post #9 of 17
xPosTech
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 7990

I'm still hoping someone can come up with a model number.

Ted
Old 12-22-2008, 12:07 PM   post #10 of 17
Walker13
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 20809
Question Re: Older Craftsman II Dump Cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPosTech View Post
You know how it goes . . . a friend is cleaning out the backyard and offers a dump cart. And yeah, I had to lend a hand in the cleanup, too. It wasn't acquired new so he has no idea as to year made.

This one is all black, is missing the model sticker but is marked boldly in white on the sides "Craftsman II 14 cu.ft. Dump Cart". It's built a little better than the average dumps I've seen. 34" long 1" solid axle, 16X6.50X8 Turfsavers. The heavy C channel tongue has a spring loaded hitch pin.

I'm guessing late 80's since my Craftsman II GT-18 is an '89.

Can anyone come close with a model number so I can try to find some wheels? The ones on it are rusted so bad they leak air (not from the bead - from the holes in'em!) and I don't want to tube them for fear of collapse.

Hub length is 3" and 3/4" inset both sides. My cheap 10 cu.ft. cart has I guess wheelbarrow tires - 4.80X4.00X8 and 3/4" axle.

I suppose keyed hubs would work but I only have 3/4" hubs in my limited "stock". We have no lawn/garden tractor graveyards around here. (Unless I want to go to Orange. ). If it'll help I'll get pics when I get down to it - it was loaded first in my trailer.

Thanks Ted
Hello, I'm new here and I noticed your post. I have a 10 cu. ft. Craftsman dump cart- (Model # 610.243551) that is about 8 years old. I live in South Florida and the sun/heat have taken their toll on the card's wheels. I replaced one wheel less than one year ago and it's already beat. This cart has a capacity of 1000 pounds and the wheels are 4.80X4.00X-8. Neither tire holds air for long and I would like to purchase inner tubes if I can find them. I notice in this post you reference the wheels/tires as wheelbarrow types.

The owners manual is not real clear on details, but I could use some advice on where to buy inner tubes with side stems to use on these rims. I'm also considering buying new wheels if I can find them at a reasonable price. Sears wants about $60 with shipping for one wheel and to me that's outrageous.

I would appreciate any feedback regarding this situation. Thanks.
Walker13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 08:10 PM   post #11 of 17
notomow
Banned!

MTF Member # 14596

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrodamoon View Post
yup ya cant beat the quality of the older stuff, nowadays everything is just slapped together with the cheapest of materials and painted to look pretty.
I've got a craftsman 2 dumpcart similar to that but it's grey,it's actually made a lot better than the tsc farm store brands has the same latch in the back as yours I think it's a little bigger not sure on the cubit feet but a lot bigger than the tsc ones,I love it hauled some really serious weight in it.
notomow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 09:00 AM   post #12 of 17
RedBull
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 31134

I just bought a craftsman II 14 cu ft dump cart and have the model number sticker on mine. If you still need the model number for yours, send me a pm and I will post it.
I need some wheel bearings on mine badly. Can't seem to find any so far.
RedBull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 02:28 PM   post #13 of 17
TUDOR
9000+ Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 28463

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post
I just bought a craftsman II 14 cu ft dump cart and have the model number sticker on mine. If you still need the model number for yours, send me a pm and I will post it.
I need some wheel bearings on mine badly. Can't seem to find any so far.
Try these guys on eBay. They have bearings for several sizes of axles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-ID-X-2-OD-FLAN...item3a5d1cd4d1''

Bob
TUDOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 01:55 PM   post #14 of 17
RedBull
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 31134

Thank you Bob. I will check.
RedBull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 08:23 PM   post #15 of 17
motopsycho
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 42178

Mine said craftsman II on it but i left it too close to the tractors i have and it turned green! I have 3/4 dia. axles not 1 inch but i got these wheels/tires at tfc.
They were 14.99 ea. No model # on mine either but mine may be different.I dont have a release for the gate,it just slides up and out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cart 001.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	114859   Click image for larger version

Name:	cart 002.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	114860  
motopsycho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.