Help The Ignorant ( Phoneless Internet) - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Computer and Electronics The Geek Garage: Computers, Audio/Video, and any thing else electronic forum...

Old 06-01-2008, 05:10 PM   post #1 of 22
silver hair deere
Old as Sin

MTF Member # 4257
Help Help The Ignorant ( Phoneless Internet)

well the time has come i think me must give up our phone it will save us 70.00 a month , we will still have our trac phone we hardley ever use our land base ohone , so here's the question , how can i still get internet to kept upwith the brothers and sisters at my tractor form ? or is it just cheaper to keept it as is , all we can get here is the slowwwww dail up .

silver hair deere
silver hair deere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 05:14 PM   post #2 of 22
Steve (Magnolia, TX)
Retired - Veteran Mod

MTF Member # 251
Garage
Default Re: Help The Ignorant ( Phoneless Internet)

Your slow dialup is probably going to be the cheapest solution.

You could (probably) drop your phone service to the least expensive, least featured plan (my home phone costs ~$8/month, with $35/month on top of that for my 6Mb DSL + tax, of course)... assuming that you've got a local dialup number for your ISP.

Otherwise... You're probably going to be kinda stuck with occasional use at public access points (i.e. your local public library, or take a laptop with you to McDonalds or Starbucks, or something).
Steve (Magnolia, TX) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 05:16 PM   post #3 of 22
Edward
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:

MTF Member # 4340

Dial Up and DSL require a land-line so you have to pay for phone service through your telephone provider (here it is Bellsouth). At least here you do. Then you can pay for an internet provider on top of the landline provider.
Now if you pay for cable TV, you could get Cable "lite" at least with Earthlink you can and probably with your current dial up provider, too. Its not much more than a fast dialup or DSL and faster. Plus if you can keep the same provider with cable that you have with dial up, you can keep the email addresses you have now with them
Edward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 05:18 PM   post #4 of 22
Edward
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:

MTF Member # 4340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve (Magnolia, TX) View Post
Your slow dialup is probably going to be the cheapest solution.

You could (probably) drop your phone service to the least expensive, least featured plan (my home phone costs ~$8/month, with $35/month on top of that for my 6Mb DSL + tax, of course)... assuming that you've got a local dialup number for your ISP.

Otherwise... You're probably going to be kinda stuck with occasional use at public access points (i.e. your local public library, or take a laptop with you to McDonalds or Starbucks, or something).
what he said. Here its like 16 dollars for a landline per month
Edward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 06:38 PM   post #5 of 22
Tall Dog
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 68

Just went through this decision myself. I have DSL and land line through AT&T. It used to be, that you had to have a land line or you couldn't get DSL through AT&T.

They changed it so that now, you can get just DSL without having a land line.

I had the choice of dropping my land line altogether, or dropping to basic service. DSL pro speed would have been 35 bucks a month if I dropped the land line or 30 bucks a month if I kept basic service.

For me, I decided to keep the land line at the basic service level so I can still use my dedicated fax line. It ended up only costing 11 bucks to keep the land line. We just have to remember to use the Cell Phones for long distance.
Tall Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 10:45 PM   post #6 of 22
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

You'll be wishing you had a land line phone the very next time the power goes out and cell service is out. The phone company lines run on their own power source unless the wires are down.
HydroHarold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 10:56 PM   post #7 of 22
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

Harold, you got a point there, but for the sake of saving money, I'm doing the same as SHD. For me it's only saving around $40-$50 a month, but no more long distance charges and I can talk anywhere in the US for free by dropping Verizon home service and going with Suddenlink Cable phone service with bundle package of internet service, cable and phone all in one.

SHD, I don't know what cable service you got down there, or even if you use cable, but if you do check into that
Jim_WV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 11:11 PM   post #8 of 22
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

Being somewhat of a "hermit" I don't know why I even care about being connected during an outage... (Maybe it's an "aging" thing!) My Verizon "pay as you go" costs me $16 a month and I haven't ever had to add any $'s for more minutes.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:49 AM   post #9 of 22
hammerhead
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11889

Given that you have some dangerous stuff around (like, say, tractors) I wouldn't completely drop the land line, because 911 over a land line is much more reliable, and as soon as you call, they know where you are (instead of having to try to give directions over the cell phone). You could, however, drop call waiting, forwarding, etc, and get the price way down.

As for other internet options, there's DSL, cable, satellite, and EVDO from a cell provider. If you are too far from the line termination point (I think it's called a concentrator, but I'm not a phone lineman, so maybe I'm using the wrong term) you can't get DSL. If you can't get cable because the cable company doesn't go to your house, obviously you can't get a cable modem (but, if you can, it's a good choice - they are quite fast). Satellite is expensive, and has latency issues. EVDO is only available in some areas, but if you are in a covered area, I understand that it works well (don't have it myself, but have heard good things about it).
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 12:53 AM   post #10 of 22
Ken N Tx
Retired MTF Admin

MTF Member # 117
Garage

I just switched over to wireless/radio signal.

Its $49.95 a month and a lot faster than dial-up!!

I dropped Netzero dial-up ($14.95) and cut back on the phone line charges!!

No DSL/Cable available out here in the boonies!!
Old 06-02-2008, 09:35 AM   post #11 of 22
BigD
Central Kentucky

MTF Member # 5055

what Ken N Tx said
Quote:
I just switched over to wireless/radio signal.

Its $49.95 a month and a lot faster than dial-up!!
only I switch a little more than a year ago. I use AT&T air-card on my laptop. There isn't any DSL or cable out here, and I travel a lot, so this system seems to work for me. Being in the country, we only get the slower AT&T Edge system which is faster than dialup, but much slower than my daughter's cable internet. However, if you are near a connected city and can get the AT&T 3G network, it is fast. I can usually get the 3G in bigger cities and airports and love it. Can't wait till they upgrade the whole system to the 3G.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:42 AM   post #12 of 22
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

Hammerhead,
Quote:
(instead of having to try to give directions over the cell phone).
You should have 911 GPS "enabled" on your cell phone... they'll find you in an emergency once you dial. You can turn it on and off but I leave mine on all the time. Since I got my cell I feel much better about going in the woods... especially as I almost needed the location last Spring. Managed to dial home before "fading in and out" and Wifey found me on the trail with the Explorer. (Phew!)
Old 06-02-2008, 01:20 PM   post #13 of 22
~aRBy~
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11340

On our Verizon phones the ď911 GPSĒ is always on. You canít turn that off, but you can turn off GPS tracking for anything else.

We dropped our landlines about 10 years ago and been perfectly fine. At first it was just our business line but then we added a couple extra phones to the account and did away with our home phone. Even during power outages we have never lost cell service. Only time we had a problem was during the black out in 2003, but even then our cellís worked but they were flooded with calls making it hard to get a call in or out. Even though, our parents couldnít use their landline phones any ways. Their newer style phones need power to operate.

Any ways even if EVDO isnít available in your area, you still can use cellular based service for internet. Itís not as fast as DSL speeds, but still a lot faster then dial-up.
05 - John Deere GX345
Chainsaws, Husqvarna: 340e, 345e, 345e, 346xp, 445, 357xp Dolmar: PS-5105 Stihl: 028av, MS280, MS260 Homelite: super EZ auto, Super XL auto McCulloch: Pro-Mac 10-10

Last edited by ~aRBy~; 06-02-2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typo
~aRBy~ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 01:59 PM   post #14 of 22
okieduc104
dirtgeezer

MTF Member # 7177

One of the advantages of living out here in the boonies, is we don't have to make those gut wrenching decisions...Use AT&T or Veroizon, Squint, Qwest or MaBell or any other for dial up or DSL. We don't have local numbers for MSN, Earthlink, Zeronet, AOL ot whatever.
We have one telephone company CCTC, they also provide dialup, DSL, or wireless broadband and cell phone service, they are a locally owned Coop. and know you by your name when you go in to ask a question or pay your bill. If you want T.V. it is DIRECTV or DISH. Our Mail comes to the RFD mailbox on a post down at the Farm to Market road.

This keeps a lot of confusion down, but it seems to tare up the City folks that move to the country for "that good old country livin'" They always want to bring their expensive city things, that they were wanting to get away from with them...go figure!......
Our one horse movie rental store has a booming business! Some times they even have two DVDs of the same movie, but not often, they do have a waiting list....
We don't have a Pizza Hut or Dominos Pizza, a McDonalds or Burger King. We do have a Subway!, Walmart is 40 miles in any direction! and so is Tractor Supply. But we have two John Deere and Massy Ferffie dealers within 12 miles. Our local home town parts store is 11 miles and can get anything from a Carslile mower tire to a Interstate Battery for your tractor or your police radio overnight and will give us VFD Firemen a 40% discount! As does our Chevrolet, Pontiac, Caddilac and GMC dealer 15 miles away, just a couple of blocks from our church.

I luv it!

Last edited by okieduc104; 06-02-2008 at 02:08 PM.
okieduc104 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 05:08 PM   post #15 of 22
hammerhead
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11889

I was under the impression that "911 GPS" is just cell tower triangulation, and it doesn't work so well out at the edge of the coverage area?

Quote:
We don't have a Pizza Hut or Dominos Pizza, a McDonalds or Burger King. We do have a Subway!
Subway is MUCH better than those burger and second-rate pizza joints... so don't feel like you're missing too much (except, perhaps, clogged arteries!).

Quote:
Walmart is 40 miles in any direction! and so is Tractor Supply.
Walmart - I avoid. That place gives me a headache. The lack of a TSC, however, is unfortunate... that's like about $20 for a round trip, at todays gas prices!

Quote:
give us VFD Firemen a 40% discount
Schweeet!
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.