New Snapper LT 100 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-26-2008, 10:59 PM   post #1 of 24
Jennifer Gallagher
Banned

MTF Member # 12265
Default New Snapper LT 100

Well, I finally decided on which tractor to buy. I purchased the new Snapper LT 100 2346 at Sears. They offered me no deals or discounts but I wasn't there to play Sears rebate or it's not a Craftsman games, I was there to buy a yard tractor. I have just under 2 acres of ground to cut. The new Snapper was was still in the crate when I got to Sears to pick it up. I had ordered it online plus I went to Delaware to pick it up to avoid paying sales taxes . The nice Sears man helped me uncrate it and get it on the trailer I rented to get it home. In or out of the crate it was just a wee too wide to fit in the back of my GMC Sierra PU truck so I rented a U-Haul trailer for $37 to get my new tractor home.

I've cut with it twice and I am very pleased with the power and ease of use. I was used to a gear drive MTD for the last 15 years and the Auto trans was something different. The tractor has some small quirks; it is hard to push backward out of the garage even with the trans disconnect engaged. Now I back it into the garage. The cruise control disengages on the slightest bump but I thought that was a silly thing to put on a tractor anyway so I probably won't use it much anyway.

The cut is very good and it spits wet grass out like nobody's business where my old tractors would choke and stall on it. The electric PTO engages smoothly and responsively. It turns and handles well at any speed and I like the twin Briggs engine, it's got a lot of power. If it starts to suck in dirt like so many have said here about the Briggs ELS Twin I'll just fix it if it needs to be fixed. I inspect and fix 7000 hp railroad locomotives so fixing the intake on a 23hp tractor engine shouldn't be that difficult. From what I read though Briggs has corrected the problem. In other words, Briggs made the proper response.

The two biggest reasons for buying the Snapper for me were; Snapper is an American company, they have a reputation for standing behind their products and Americans in McDonough Georgia built the doggone contraption as far as I can tell. That's important to me.

The second is power and cut size for the buck. The Snapper is comparable with some of the Husqvarna's and the Cub Cadets. The Cub 1046 is about 100 bucks more but it has a Kohler engine. Not that big of a deal but it factored in, I'm a Briggs girl from way back. I own six pieces of equipment that sport Briggs iron. No one had a Husqvarna in stock in this size and power range that wasn't going to have to be special ordered. Husqvarna is owned by Electrolux, a Swedish company. The Craftsman? most of them are Husqvarna too. I wanted my money to stay in America as much as possible. The MTD Yardman was a single cylinder Briggs and you can only get them from Home Depot. The White LT46 at TSC was OK but it is a single cylinder Kohler, that wasn't a bad deal though, I liked that tractor. I just thought the Snapper was the best deal for the money. $1799.00 and it's a nice shiny red too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapper LT-100 2346 .jpg
Views:	976
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	39334  
Jennifer Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008, 11:13 PM   post #2 of 24
bontai Joe
Citizen of Earth

MTF Member # 51
Default Re: New Snapper LT 100

Yep, it is a nice tractor, and yours should be new enough to have the improved air filter. Snapper was bought out by Simplicity, which in turn was bought out by Briggs & Stratten. What that means is your Snapper is Simplicity with different paint and is also a clone to Massey Ferguson, and AGCO. I mention this so you now know of alternate sources of parts and attachments and potential service if needed.

ALWAYS remember to remove the spark plug wire from the plug before sticking your hand in the machine!!!! The fingers you save could be your own.
bontai Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2008, 11:40 PM   post #3 of 24
Jennifer Gallagher
Banned

MTF Member # 12265
Smile Re: New Snapper LT 100

Thanks Joe! I did all my research into buying the new tractor. I understand that Simplicity bought out Snapper and then Briggs bought out the whole unit. I think they sold off Simplicity and then Briggs bought out all of what was left of Murray. I believe the deck on this tractor is an upgraded Murray design. This is the least expensive line of Snapper tractors but it was a big upgrade for me.

I like the way Snapper does business, it pulled all their mowers off the Wal-Mart shelf a few years back because they didn't think Wal-Mart customers were their target customers. They didn't want Wal-Mart dictating to them prices and quality like they do with all their other suppliers. If I can find the link somewhere on this computer I'll post the story because it's very interesting to see a small company like Snapper stand up to a behemoth like Wal-Mart. I can understand their thinking with selling their equipment at Sears though, the customers at Sears have a different outlook.

All in all I'm very pleased with my new tractor. It has that new tractor smell too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MJ Delivers .jpg
Views:	102
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	39335  
Old 05-28-2008, 04:31 PM   post #4 of 24
lawnmon
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11078

Quote:
Originally Posted by bontai Joe View Post
Yep, it is a nice tractor, and yours should be new enough to have the improved air filter. Snapper was bought out by Simplicity, which in turn was bought out by Briggs & Stratten. What that means is your Snapper is Simplicity with different paint and is also a clone to Massey Ferguson, and AGCO. I mention this so you now know of alternate sources of parts and attachments and potential service if needed.
Joe,

Please allow me to supplement your post. The LT 100 is built in the old Murray plant. The LT 200 is a Regent, the LT 300 is a Broadmoor, the YT400 is a Conquest, the GT 500 is a Prestige, and the GT 600 is a Legacy XL. For all these, Snapper usually offers fewer models than Simplicity. The Snapper decks are suspended and the Simplicity decks are floating with full-width rollers in the rear. The Snapper does offer the 42" deck in the LT 200 that Simplicity does not offer.

The LT 100 is the only Snapper rider sold outside of Snapper dealers. All Simplicities are sold by their dealers, as is Massey and AGCO.

I too like Snapper, as well as Simplicity, and just wanted to "correct the record".

Now, let's all get out there and mow,

Jack
lawnmon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 06:30 PM   post #5 of 24
Mayor

MTF Member # 2656

Sounds like you did your homework. Good luck with your new tractor.

Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 04:41 PM   post #6 of 24
bontai Joe
Citizen of Earth

MTF Member # 51

Thanks Jack for the info on the Snapper LT100. I didn't know that Briggs was using the old Murray plant. I'm kinda glad to hear that, as that area lost jobs when Murray went on hiatus. Hopefully those folks got hired back to work on these new Snappers. Also thanks for pointing out the differences from the Snapper line and the rest of Simplicitys models. Information is always good.

ALWAYS remember to remove the spark plug wire from the plug before sticking your hand in the machine!!!! The fingers you save could be your own.
bontai Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 05:16 PM   post #7 of 24
grapeknutz
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 7320

The Briggs ELS air filter is a good design and wont bypass dirt! unlike the flat air filter of the old design.
2013 Kia rio
grapeknutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008, 11:20 AM   post #8 of 24
jake wells
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 10475

nice snapper just noticed it has a murray deck
jake wells is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2008, 10:30 AM   post #9 of 24
slkpk
USMC

MTF Member # 37

on your new tractor and I hope it's everything you've dreamed of. I also like the Snapper red color. slkpk
It's too late to worry about it now!

slkpk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2008, 11:59 PM   post #10 of 24
barefootpoet
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 12553

Nice shiney red like the TB Bronco. They even favor each other some.
barefootpoet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008, 03:28 PM   post #11 of 24
RED-85-Z51
Certified Technician

MTF Member # 2950

For all preactical purposes..the LT100 is a MURRAY, with red paint and a different hood.

They use the old murray decks..usually spiffed up with a different belt guard. The old murray slip over cover seats, same frames, transmissions, front axel, steering, etc...

--
Briggs and Stratton acquired Generac, Agco/Simplicity/Massey/ and later, snapper. They discontinued all the Snapper Front engine riders, and replaced them with rebadged simplicity's. The simp. line remained unchanged.

A couple years ago, Murray made a deal with briggs. Briggs would supply Murray with engines at no cost, and murray would pay them back with the sales profits. unfortunately the Murray select line, much like the murray ultra line, was a complete failure, many didnt last a season before there was a warranty problem. Murray dipped into the red, and B&S called their tab. Murray filed Bankruptcy...and Briggs was offered the Murray brand name to settle the debt.

Briggs took the murray line, changed the colors of some parts, and used a simplicity like hood on the LT100 line, and called them Snappers.

Murray's are produced as well, most common being the LT75 series.

1962 WH702

1995 K3500 Silverado
TBI 454

1995 K2500 Silverado
6.5 Detroit Turbo Diesel

1994 GMC Sierra Z71
350 TBI

RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008, 06:28 PM   post #12 of 24
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 1086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Gallagher View Post
Thanks Joe! I did all my research into buying the new tractor. I understand that Simplicity bought out Snapper and then Briggs bought out the whole unit. I think they sold off Simplicity and then Briggs bought out all of what was left of Murray. I believe the deck on this tractor is an upgraded Murray design. This is the least expensive line of Snapper tractors but it was a big upgrade for me.

I like the way Snapper does business, it pulled all their mowers off the Wal-Mart shelf a few years back because they didn't think Wal-Mart customers were their target customers. They didn't want Wal-Mart dictating to them prices and quality like they do with all their other suppliers. If I can find the link somewhere on this computer I'll post the story because it's very interesting to see a small company like Snapper stand up to a behemoth like Wal-Mart. I can understand their thinking with selling their equipment at Sears though, the customers at Sears have a different outlook.

All in all I'm very pleased with my new tractor. It has that new tractor smell too.
If that's a Murray deck you'll get the best cut available at that price range.

I hate to say it but "OTHER" in my avatar gives a better cut than my new JD-LA135. It's just not nearly as much fun to operate.
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008, 04:55 AM   post #13 of 24
Jennifer Gallagher
Banned

MTF Member # 12265

From the sounds of it I gather Red doesn't think much of Murray. I can understand that. In the last years that Murray was in operation there was no quality control and processes for manufacturing were pushed to way beyond "lean" manufacturing. I understood the whole proposition of my new Snapper being built in the Murray plant in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee before I bought it. I firmly believe the Briggs and Snapper people went over all the things that drove Murray into bankruptcy and corrected the problems before putting anything out on the street.

It would be a bad investment for Briggs if they did no correct the problems of the Chinese owned Murray Inc. The Lawrenceburg, Tennessee factory where Murray's were built is the largest lawn mower factory in the world and was owned by Summersong Investment, a Chinese company since 2000. Now Briggs owns it and I suppose they will utilize the full capabilities of the factory.

I noticed that Massey, Simplicity and Snapper tractors all look very similar both on the surface and in many of the details in the same way MTD products have varying degrees of power, accessories and trim. I suspect some of the parts that the Massey's, Simplicity and Snappers use are also used or manufactured in the newly re-opened Murray plant. I pointed to more than few things that are exactly the same as my LT-100 and a brand new Snapper LT-300 and a Massey 2500 at the local dealer and he was just as irritated as could be about Snapper/Massey utilizing parts that may have been Murray and now diluting the Snapper/Simp/Massey brand.

This kind of merging has been going on in American manufacturing since the beginning of American manufacturing and as long as the companies stay in American hands and keep Americans working and they keep the quality up to American standards I'm accepting of it. I can remember the first lawn mower I worked on, it was a Savage, it had nasty looking front teeth and a wind around rope starter. They are no longer in business as many companies just can't compete or get bought out or can't keep up with changing times. I cried when I read the whole story of what happened to Schwinn bicycles. I loved the 2 speed Schwinn I had when I was a child. A person my age couldn't imagine Schwinn Bicycles ever going out business but they did because they couldn't change with the times fast enough.

It's a new day and many of the hard working Americans that worked in that Lawrenceburg, Tennessee plant before the Chinese drove it into the ground are now back to work and have something to prove. I normally put my money where my keyboard is and I bought an American made tractor that's not perfect nor did I expect it to be. For me it will last as long as I take care of it.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:29 AM   post #14 of 24
Jennifer Gallagher
Banned

MTF Member # 12265

As addendum to my last post when I mentioned Savage mowers. I found a picture of an advertisement that has the very mower that my Dad owned that I worked on or broke however you look at it. Savage mowers were made by Savage arms starting around 1944. Just trivia but I'm a history buff too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	090906052721.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	42962  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 08:26 AM   post #15 of 24
Andy
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 1593

Simplicity bought Snapper in October of 2000 and then in June of 2004 Briggs & Stratton purchased Simplicity.
Andy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.