mtd chipper shredder - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 05-26-2008, 10:29 PM   post #1 of 15
Searsgt18
MTF Member

MTF Member # 10521
Default mtd chipper shredder

I bought one of these off craigslist today. It has a 10 hp briggs and says it will take a 3 inch branch. I only got to use it for a few minutes when I got it home before it got dark but so far I am disappointed. I have only tried small sticks andyou cannot get them into the hopper. When you put them in they just jam up in the chute. I tried twigs in the shredder part and you have to push them in with a stick. You also have to cut them up in small pieces so they are somewhat straight or they jam up real good. Also the chipper chute will not take a stick with the slightest bend beacuse the chute is so small at the bottom. The chipper chute also will not take the branch in on its own you have to push it in But the chute clearly states not to put your hand in there. I think I am going to put it right back on craigslist. Let me know guys if you have any tips with one of these.
Searsgt18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008, 11:21 PM   post #2 of 15
Carl
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 249
Default Re: mtd chipper shredder

I have a 10 hp chipper shredder by MTD. Mine has the plastic chute for the chipper section. Which is just about broken off the chipper because of shoving branches in to the chipper section. Mine will pretty well take a 3" limb if it is straight. Once I start feeding crooked branches they have to be small enough so that they will bend straight in the chute. If it isn't cutting well try sharpening the knives. That always makes a big difference on mine.

Mine will pass twigs and shred some of the bark partly because have removed the screens from mine. The screens will plug when chipping green branches with leaves on them.

The shredder section is a different story. Mine is the kind that you can lower to the ground to sweep leaves and stuff in. The swivel collects stuff rather than letting it pass through. That has to be encouraged with a small branch or something.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:31 PM   post #3 of 15
Searsgt18
MTF Member

MTF Member # 10521

I belive I have the same machine. It seems to cut stuff fine but you cannot seem to get the stuff into the chipper or shredder too easily. The shredder chute easily jams up right at the swivel.
Searsgt18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2008, 11:35 PM   post #4 of 15
bontai Joe
Citizen of Earth

MTF Member # 51

Does yours look like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Troy-Bilt-Super-...QQcmdZViewItem

or like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/MTD-TECUMSEH-10H...QQcmdZViewItem

ALWAYS remember to remove the spark plug wire from the plug before sticking your hand in the machine!!!! The fingers you save could be your own.
bontai Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 03:27 AM   post #5 of 15
Bill Kapaun
Circumflatulater

MTF Member # 6264

Sharpen the chipper blades!
Bill Kapaun is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 03:40 AM   post #6 of 15
Greg
A day ahead of y'all..

MTF Member # 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun View Post
Sharpen the chipper blades!

If it says 3".....limit your sticks to about 2" and enjoy, when your blades are sharp.

(I have a small Bear Cat ...(3") and love it for chipping up to 2". Works great up to that size.)

Oh, and my Craftsman air compressor says "6hp"...right!
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 06:32 AM   post #7 of 15
Ingersoll444
ex spelling bee champ

MTF Member # 16

Ditto the blades/

I have a 5hp one, and wile it does not self feed, it more then does the job on smaller stuff.

Visit The Case Ingersoll Colt Forum.

SUPER Of The Month 10/2011
Ingersoll444 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 07:59 AM   post #8 of 15
stonykill
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 7096

I have a 10hp sears ******** chipper shredder. I too at 1st was very disapointed, that is , until I learned what to chip and the limitations of these machines. I no longer chip green wood, unless it is frozen. Green wood plugs the machine so often you will go nuts. Dry dead wood. Thats the way to go. We heap our brush piles this year, chip them next. Here is a load of pine branches my wife and I chipped in a few hours yesterday with the ******** chipper. Dry dead pine, up to 3 inches in diameter.

while I dispised the little toy machine at 1st, I love it now, and have for the last few years. It makes a lot of chips if you avoid green wood like the plague.

If you see the comercials on tv, it's very clear that the big branches that they chip, are REALLY dead. Almost rotted on the commercials.
stonykill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 09:35 AM   post #9 of 15
Dude11

MTF Member # 8852

I took one in trade awhile back and was very disappointed with it.As you said,you have to feed it like a baby.The only thing I found it was good for was cutting up corn stalks after they dried up in the garden.Way more $$ than it was worth.I sold mine and I've never missed it.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:37 AM   post #10 of 15
Carl
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 249

Stonykill, you are chipping with the screen in? I have always mixed. Dry and green so my main experience is with green. Does the screen stay clear with the dry wood?

One thing I have noticed is that the dry chips much harder. So have to limit size to probably no more that 1" to 1.5".
Old 05-27-2008, 09:57 AM   post #11 of 15
stonykill

MTF Member # 7096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Stonykill, you are chipping with the screen in? I have always mixed. Dry and green so my main experience is with green. Does the screen stay clear with the dry wood?

One thing I have noticed is that the dry chips much harder. So have to limit size to probably no more that 1" to 1.5".
if you are refering to the screen on the bottom, yes its in. No it doesn't plug with dry wood. Unless I way overfeed it and stall the engine. That is the only time I plug it with dry wood, if I stall the engine.

See I find that green is a huge pain to chip. I need to keep it real small, so I avoid the green stuff. Dry wood, as large as I can feed into it which is around 3 inches. Chips it no problem at all.
stonykill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 10:53 AM   post #12 of 15
LEOLAV

MTF Member # 377

I have the same unit 5HP and as long as you keep it reasonable and keep the blades very sharp, it works good. I took down a large tree last fall and used it to chip up the branches. They work great if you keep them shorter 1' to 2' if they are bent at all. I also have a good 3" push stick. You get a lot of small branches bouncing in the chute and it helps to occasionally use the push stick to get them into the blades.

I agree that you should "modify" the design of the chute brace. I broke mine within a few weeks and simply bent a piece of 2" wide metal, drilled the holes to line up and put it back together. It now has been good well over 4 yrs. without breaking.
LEOLAV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 11:12 AM   post #13 of 15
Ken in NJ

MTF Member # 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by bontai Joe View Post
I have the same exact one as in the first auction, the super tomahawk 8 HP electric start.. that I picked up from a crack head garage sale for $100.00 it even came with a hitch attachment to pull it behind a tractor .. it Works GREAT for up to 3" limbs. I have not tried to shred leaves with it however .. Its too high to use it for that. If you ask me

I also have a small MTD 5 hp shredder that I just got from a MTF member for free .. it also works very well .. I shredded up a bunch of leaves on Sat for the compost pile Thanks again Travis AKA Styx
Ken in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 01:21 PM   post #14 of 15
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

I bought an "unknown" brand chipper without a motor at a yard sale years ago--I put a 5 hp Tecumseh I had on it and tried chipping stuff--it didn't impress me at all,and I was glad I only spent 20 bucks on it!..

It wont chip anything much bigger than 1-1/2" thick,and the peices often fly back at you out of the chute,so safety goggles are a must!--plus,it didn't "chip" the branches,it looked more like they were only chopped into 3" long peices,and "peeled" like someone scraped them with a carrot peeler!..it didn't work well at all on green wood,especially fresh cut pine braches,which was the main reason I bought the darn thing for!..It's a ruggedly built thing,but doesn't work for beans,in my opinion..it was a chore pushing each branch in one at a time with a "pusher" stick...it clogged up easily when you chipped green wood..

I tried borrowing another electric "chipper shredder" from a friend to finish the job,but his made "chips" that looked like cookies or potato chips..I'd hoped to get eough chips to landscape in front of my house ,but after chipping a pile of branches as big as my pickup truck,I got about three 5 gallon pails of "chips"...took me a whole afternoon!..

I think the chipper is going out in the next yard sale I have,sans engine!..I'd rather just push all the brush in a pile and toss a match on it,it's much easier and faster!..less noisy too,and no costly gas needed,unless you pour it on the pile to help get it fired up!..the only chipper I've used that worked well and was worth the effort was on a 3 point hitch style one I used on a friends tractor...I no longer want mulch,I've seen too many mulch fires around here lately..

Robert
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2008, 02:47 PM   post #15 of 15
bontai Joe
Citizen of Earth

MTF Member # 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken8562000 View Post
I have the same exact one as in the first auction, the super tomahawk 8 HP electric start.. that I picked up from a crack head garage sale for $100.00 it even came with a hitch attachment to pull it behind a tractor .. it Works GREAT for up to 3" limbs. I have not tried to shred leaves with it however .. Its too high to use it for that. If you ask me

I also have a small MTD 5 hp shredder that I just got from a MTF member for free .. it also works very well .. I shredded up a bunch of leaves on Sat for the compost pile Thanks again Travis AKA Styx
I also have a VERY early Tomahawk chipper I got from GardenWay before Troy-Bilt bought out W.W.Grinder. Mine is painted green and still has W.W.Grinder labels on it and only a 4 1/2 HP Tec motor. It will do 3" limbs slowly in the chipper section, the shredder section is happiest with 3/4" or smaller, but will knaw through 1" stuff. I saw over the years that Troy-Bilt upped the HP on these several times and with good reason. I agree with the above posters that the blades do need sharpening occasionally. Even though mine is a bit under powered, I'd never sell it as it has chipped up TONS of wood over the 25 years I've had it. My philosophy was if it was too big for the shredder, I'd run it through the chipper, if it was too big for the chipper, it was firewood.

ALWAYS remember to remove the spark plug wire from the plug before sticking your hand in the machine!!!! The fingers you save could be your own.
bontai Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.