2305 Transmission? - Page 2 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-28-2008, 06:55 AM   post #16 of 29
conceptmachining
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 11837
Default Re: 2305 Transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLIND REF View Post
Jimbo, I like that you get on the forum to find out information about your tractor. It shows me that you take pride in caring for your equipment. I know you will get plenty of hours use on your tractor because you take good care of it. Any time you have a question, fire away. There are a lot of good people on this forum that are ready to take on anything that you throw at them.
Keep up the good work.
Thanks Man! There is one more thing I would like to know. In the manual it states to engage the PTO at 1500RPMs or below. Is this right? Reason I ask is because it sounds better if I engage, MMM especially, above that RPMs. (it doesn't bog the engine down as much). Then it goes on to say increase it from that point. I usually don't mow at the 540 PTO RPMs either, as it does just fine at around 2500 RPMs or slightly higher.

Thanks again BR.
conceptmachining is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 07:01 AM   post #17 of 29
conceptmachining
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 11837

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBrian View Post
Hi

I wonder if the different oils are related to temperature. When I had a 2320 for a test drive at my place I noticed the fluid was red. The low viscosity fluid that I used in my x475 was clear. Perhaps it is some sort of break in fluid or a general purpose fluid that you change out for the correct fluid for your climate at 50hrs.
I would rather have a dipstick like the x series tractors than a sight glass.
A sight glass can be difficult to read in certain conditions.
I should have my 2320 by the end of this week. The tractor and rear blade are in but the loader has not arrived yet. The salesman says they will bring it by Friday with or without the loader. I think he may want to complete the sale before the end of the month.

Regards
Brian
Congrats on the tractor. Its a nice unit, thats for sure. Gets the job done with power to spare. I took my loader off when I got it home. Real nifty at how it comes off....easy as pie. To get it on, I have yet to try, but taking it off is a cinch. I was told by the service manager that as long as your in the sight glass your good, but of course being at the middle perfect.

Contrats again, and have fun!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:34 AM   post #18 of 29
JDBrian
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 11791
Talking Re: 2305 Transmission?

Hi Conceptmachining

Have you checked out the videos from Wilsons(a site sponsor). They have recently added 2 that show the loader being removed and installed on a 2320.
I have had some difficulty making a deal on the new machine because of my trade in, an X475. The salesman is also extremely busy,- I would say overworked- and that has slowed down the process.
There is supposed to be a loader coming in on the 28th but it has the same load No. as one due on the 4th of June. The load no. apparently is the truck it is on, so this does not make sense. So I may or may not get a loader by Friday. My guess is not.
Glad to hear you got the hydro. fluid issue sorted out. There is bound to be some variation in level when you first install an implement with large cylinders like a loader.Fluid wiill remain in the cylinders when the loader is removed. That reminds me that I should pick up a litre of the correct fluid so I'll have it.
I have reviewed the manual on line and it seems to me there were 2 fluid types that could be used. I don't know why that is, but my best guess would be temperature ranges. A machine in Arizona may benefit from a different viscosity fluid than one in Alaska.

Enjoy your new machine
Regards
Brian
JDBrian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 07:36 AM   post #19 of 29
thendricks
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 2834

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptmachining View Post
Thanks Man! There is one more thing I would like to know. In the manual it states to engage the PTO at 1500RPMs or below. Is this right? Reason I ask is because it sounds better if I engage, MMM especially, above that RPMs. (it doesn't bog the engine down as much). Then it goes on to say increase it from that point. I usually don't mow at the 540 PTO RPMs either, as it does just fine at around 2500 RPMs or slightly higher.

Thanks again BR.
I actually contacted JD about this because my bearcat chipper will kill the tractor if i engage that low (it has a 100+ pound wheel). They stuck to what the manual said "no engaging above 1500 RPMs". It will engage around 1600 without killing that little 2305 when its warmed up.

Thad
thendricks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 AM   post #20 of 29
conceptmachining
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 11837

Quote:
Originally Posted by thendricks View Post
I actually contacted JD about this because my bearcat chipper will kill the tractor if i engage that low (it has a 100+ pound wheel). They stuck to what the manual said "no engaging above 1500 RPMs". It will engage around 1600 without killing that little 2305 when its warmed up.

Thad

I guess I'm trying to figure out why its like that. If the motor sounds better when engaging at around say 1600 or so, why would it bennefit to engage at a lower RPMs when it nearly kills the engine? I guess to me, it just sounds like its hurting the machine more, but I guess there may be another reason. What could it be?
Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 AM   post #21 of 29
conceptmachining
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 11837

Quote:
Hi Conceptmachining

Have you checked out the videos from Wilsons(a site sponsor). They have recently added 2 that show the loader being removed and installed on a 2320.
I have had some difficulty making a deal on the new machine because of my trade in, an X475. The salesman is also extremely busy,- I would say overworked- and that has slowed down the process.
There is supposed to be a loader coming in on the 28th but it has the same load No. as one due on the 4th of June. The load no. apparently is the truck it is on, so this does not make sense. So I may or may not get a loader by Friday. My guess is not.
Glad to hear you got the hydro. fluid issue sorted out. There is bound to be some variation in level when you first install an implement with large cylinders like a loader.Fluid wiill remain in the cylinders when the loader is removed. That reminds me that I should pick up a litre of the correct fluid so I'll have it.
I have reviewed the manual on line and it seems to me there were 2 fluid types that could be used. I don't know why that is, but my best guess would be temperature ranges. A machine in Arizona may benefit from a different viscosity fluid than one in Alaska.

Enjoy your new machine
Regards
Brian
Gonna try to find those videos, thanks!

Jimbo
Old 05-28-2008, 08:15 AM   post #22 of 29
Upper5Percent
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8602

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptmachining View Post
I purchased a 2305 recently and the transmission oil was showing low. I read the manual and seen that I needed JD20C. I went to a different dealer than where I bought the tractor, as it was closer. I went to parts and asked for Hygard JD20C. I told him I just bought a 2305 and need the transmission fluid for it. He said that I wanted the JD20D then, and then I told him that I will be operating in warmer temps than what it recommends. I asked him what does the factory put in the 2305, and he said JD20D, I asked him if he was sure and he looked again, and said JD20D. So I got home and added the fluid, it took about 16 ounces or so. Then I go to check the window and it looks a different color. I reread the manual and it does say from factory with JD20C. It also says not to mix. AM I SCREWED? Should I change the fluid out? How can I get it out of all of the lines etc? I'm so upset! I'm gonna call the guy first thing in the AM Wendsday to let him know his manual is wrong and tell him what I think.

Thanks for the help
John Deere JD20C and JD20D (winter version)

The difference between the two is the operational temperature range...NBD
Old 05-28-2008, 08:19 AM   post #23 of 29
conceptmachining
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 11837

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulChristenson View Post
John Deere JD20C and JD20D (winter version)

The difference between the two is the operational temperature range...NBD

Around here the JD20D is the all weather version
Old 05-28-2008, 09:13 AM   post #24 of 29
JDFANATIC
9K+ Poster

MTF Member # 41
Garage

conceptmachining,

Grease those deck spindles and your 2305 will easily engage the deck at idle (not that I recommend it).

JDFANATIC
JD2210, loaded tires, 62C MMM, 210 Loader, 47" Snowblower, York Rake, PTO Spreader, Heated Cab, JD Plug Aerator, FIMCO Sprayer, Wheel Spacers, FEMCO Folding ROPS, JD Cart, Stihl MS170 and HT101, Wallenstein BX32 PTO Chipper
JDFANATIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 11:06 AM   post #25 of 29
wally2q
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 45

Normally, engaging at high RPM may sound better for the engine, but all that power to accelerate the attachment is transmitted through the tranny. Turning on the PTO creates the so-called "shock load". Acceleration of the load from zero-speed to whatever-speed in a super short time. The shock load is greater at higher RPM because of the available power input from the engine, and the attempt to accelerate from zero-speed to a higher speed that normal, in the same amount of time (less than a second).

Shock load is bad and should be avoided on any machinery, including a tractor.

But if it's unavoidable, then you can only do what works and hope for the best.

A perfect example of how bad shock-load is, is when a drag racer pops the clutch, and shears his drive shaft. If you're pumping so much power (higher engine RPM), something has to give somewhere.
wally2q is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 12:32 PM   post #26 of 29
JDBrian

MTF Member # 11791

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally2q View Post
Shock load is bad and should be avoided on any machinery, including a tractor.

But if it's unavoidable, then you can only do what works and hope for the best.
Wally

Is the PTO clutch supposed to absorb this shock load by slipping a bit each time it is engaged. To my thinking the clutch should do this, to limit shock loads on the tranny. The clutch would be the part most likely to fail prematurely in this scenario.
I read a thread on the Kubota forum where someone drove over a pipe while mowing and it wrecked the PTO drive. In that case the deck did not have any shear pins to limit torque and the damage was extensive. When choosing a PTO driven attachment is this something you should look for - is the driveline protected by a clutch or shear pin?

Regards
Brian
Old 05-29-2008, 11:36 AM   post #27 of 29
wally2q
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 45

Shear pins protect against ultimate failure - they don't provide a "useable" solution for every-day use.

Clutch is ideal, but if the clutch dynamics are too fast, then it offers some protection, but not full protection at full RPM. Hence some engineer at JD probably figured out that the fastest clutch, with the worst load, reaches the stress limit at "x" RPM. Then they derated the RPM by some safety factor, and here we are: 1500 rpm is the limit
wally2q is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 12:20 PM   post #28 of 29
JDBrian

MTF Member # 11791

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally2q View Post
Shear pins protect against ultimate failure - they don't provide a "useable" solution for every-day use.

Clutch is ideal, but if the clutch dynamics are too fast, then it offers some protection, but not full protection at full RPM. Hence some engineer at JD probably figured out that the fastest clutch, with the worst load, reaches the stress limit at "x" RPM. Then they derated the RPM by some safety factor, and here we are: 1500 rpm is the limit
Wally

By clutch I meant the PTO engagement clutch in the tractor.
A chipper/shreader with a heavy flywheel is a worst case scenario, requiring a lot of energy to accelerate from 0 to top speed in a short time.
It would be interesting to know the minimum HP reccommended by the chipper manufacturer.
I guess my point is that a mistake like running over a steel pipe while mowing could result in a lot of $$ in damage and it is worth investigating if an implement has a shear pin or other means of protecting the drivetrain.

Regards
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008, 01:06 PM   post #29 of 29
thendricks
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 2834

Quote:
Wally

By clutch I meant the PTO engagement clutch in the tractor.
A chipper/shreader with a heavy flywheel is a worst case scenario, requiring a lot of energy to accelerate from 0 to top speed in a short time.
It would be interesting to know the minimum HP reccommended by the chipper manufacturer.
I guess my point is that a mistake like running over a steel pipe while mowing could result in a lot of $$ in damage and it is worth investigating if an implement has a shear pin or other means of protecting the drivetrain.

Regards
Brian
The bearcat chipper is a 15-30 pto HP chipper. I have 18 pto hp so im on the low side. It doesnt have any problems running it once i get the sucker goin. The stuff it will chip amazes me!!
thendricks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.