Craftsman/AYP to Husqvarna Crossover? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-09-2008, 11:33 PM   post #1 of 13
WASAJCO
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 11403
Default Craftsman/AYP to Husqvarna Crossover?

Howdy all,

Newby here, been searching all around the internet, lurked here for a day or so, joined and finally feel the need to post. I posted in the Craftsman Forum since there seems to be more of them around and there where fewer threads in the Husqvarna forum. I recently acquired a 2005 Husqvarna GT 2254, found out through the information here that I have a not so good design on my 22hp Briggs air cleaner assembly, amongst a few other things. Thank you all for the wealth of info here!
Question: Is there a comparable[mechanically], or very similar model Sears or other AYP Garden Tractor to the Husqvarna GT2254? I'm assuming that these things are like cars, sheet metal different, the rest the same, except engine and trans upgrades?, i.e. frame is the same, deck is the same, only two or three trans/engine options. My best guess, going by the pictures and the specs. of the 2004 Craftsman brochure is that it is a GT5000. If it helps, I have the 22hp B&S with the ELS system, dual range six speed manual trans, and the 54" deck, 23"x10.5"x12" rear tires. Mostly looking for maintenance parts, and the ability to order from Sears for the odd broken pieces.The two semi-local Husqvarna dealers seem to want my money even more than I do, and I would like to slow that down. Husqvarna's site isn't very helpful either. My property is a little "bumpy" and I will be using ground engaging implements, disc harrow, box scraper for the driveway, etc. Thanks for any and all help, you all have a really nice site here!
Wayne

Last edited by WASAJCO; 05-10-2008 at 12:28 AM.
WASAJCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2008, 08:19 AM   post #2 of 13
Argee
Anything With Wheels

MTF Member # 5
Default Re: Craftsman/AYP to Husqvarna Crossover?

Welcome to MTF WASAJCO...glad you found us.

You're correct....I believe they were modeled after the Craftsman GT's...I have a GT5000 with a 25HP Kohler so it wouldn't be much help. I'm sure we have someone here that has that same spec and could provide you with the serial # for ordering parts.

Someone did a post on a retrofit air cleaner after striking out with B&S for warranty.

Good luck on your quest!
Old 05-10-2008, 12:44 PM   post #3 of 13
WASAJCO
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 11403

Thanks Argee! I am going to check the air cleaner housing regularly, I have a few tricks up my sleeve as well, was self employed for the last few years and had fun fixing zero turns, as well as some walk behinds. Neat stuff. Hope I am able to help folks as well with anything I may have learned over the years. One thing that might help folks, the Toyota specification RTV/silicone sealer is FAR tougher and resilient than the typical RTV/silicon sealer. It's worth looking for the Toyota spec # on the tube. Hylomar, if you can find it is also premium stuff.
Wayne
Old 05-10-2008, 10:57 PM   post #4 of 13
GG_GT5000
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11447

WASA,

dont know the exact model you have but do you have a owners manual? If not ... try this one... I hope this is the correct one for your particular tractor - http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_...5_O0502017.pdf

After looking through some of the owners manuals, it is a dead ringer for a GT5000. In the back of the owners manual, there is a parts diagram and parts list.

Agree said:

Quote:
Someone did a post on a retrofit air cleaner after striking out with B&S for warranty
here you go - http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=18747

this thread is where I went ahead and rebuild my engine (26HP ELS725)

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=56446

If you have the flat panel filter with the clamp down lid, keep a very close eye on dirt ingestion issue. If you the same flat panel filter but with a 2 or 4 bolt hold down lid, it is an improvement but still need to keep an eye on dirt ingestion issue
GG_GT5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 11:16 AM   post #5 of 13
WASAJCO
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 11403

I do have the manual, and after a little more searching looked through a pdf file that had sears, husky and poulan, only poulan had an identical tractor. I suppose I'll be fine with the info that I have, I just wanted to be able to cross reference for belts, especially the ground drive belt, as there's an e-bay seller that has lots of stuff with the AYP number and Husqvarna seems to like to be proprietary in their numbering system, i.e., no AYP crossover when going to the online sellers.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:28 AM   post #6 of 13
Argee
Anything With Wheels

MTF Member # 5

What's the OEM# for the drive belt? I can't imagine there is to much difference between the pulley locations on a Briggs and Kohler.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:34 PM   post #7 of 13
WASAJCO
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 11403

532 13 71-53 for the ground drive belt, and of course no specs as to length, width, etc.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:45 PM   post #8 of 13
Argee
Anything With Wheels

MTF Member # 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASAJCO View Post
532 13 71-53 for the ground drive belt, and of course no specs as to length, width, etc.
I wonder if that dash 53 specifies the length???

I have an OEM# on my Craftsman of 140218. Do you have a way of cross referencing??
Old 05-13-2008, 12:49 AM   post #9 of 13
WASAJCO
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 11403

No, but I'm going to hopefully find other numbers on the belt so that I can do that. I hate proprietary part numbers.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:52 AM   post #10 of 13
Bill Kapaun
Circumflatulater

MTF Member # 6264

http://www.m-and-d.com/ST-265-073.html

Specs: Application: Drive, Length: 83 1/2" , Width: 1/2" , Type: Covered

Try Google using AYP + your Husky PN. That should bring up a Sears (AYP) # along with your Husky #
Bill Kapaun is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 01:20 AM   post #11 of 13
WASAJCO
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 11403

Very good! It crosses over to a deck belt and it is a ground drive belt as well. Very nice. Saves me a ton of money, the spare will only cost ten bucks plus shipping. Didn't find the sears number though?

Last edited by WASAJCO; 05-13-2008 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:07 AM   post #12 of 13
Bill Kapaun
Circumflatulater

MTF Member # 6264

The AYP# IS the Sears#

Not sure where you got $10 though.
Bill Kapaun is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008, 03:34 PM   post #13 of 13
WASAJCO
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 11403

Sorry, not clear, from Sel-lo on E-Bay. really ridiculous prices for some stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.