My friend who own junkyard have trojan loader. engine seem blow ton smoke. - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-05-2008, 07:30 AM   post #1 of 16
Milwaukee
Dan

MTF Member # 2557
Help My friend who own junkyard have trojan loader. engine seem blow ton smoke.

He say it been do that for many years. it ok for this diesel engine? I thought it should be little smoke but this is worse.

My boss have many diesel but not smoke like that just little for 1 min then done. This one is blow way much smoke.

here video. what cause smoke how to fix that?

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...urrent=197.flv

Please join this
Milwaukee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 08:08 AM   post #2 of 16
Ingersoll444
ex spelling bee champ

MTF Member # 16
Default Re: My friend who own junkyard have trojan loader. engine seem blow ton smoke.

Well I cant see the video, but is it black, blue, or white smoke? If its realy smoking black BAD, I would look for a plugged air intake, or messed up inj pump timeing.

Visit The Case Ingersoll Colt Forum.

SUPER Of The Month 10/2011
Ingersoll444 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2008, 08:21 AM   post #3 of 16
grapeknutz
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 7320
Default Re: My friend who own junkyard have trojan loader. engine seem blow ton smoke.

White smoke and a knock sounds as if it a bad injector, or the injector tip is blown off.
2013 Kia rio
grapeknutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2008, 08:44 PM   post #4 of 16
Milwaukee
Dan

MTF Member # 2557

How we can be sure if it bad injector? GUy say it been for 10 years.

I show video to my another friend he say sound worn out because can hear knock from this video.

Is there test for injector without remove it?

Thank

Please join this
Old 04-05-2008, 11:10 PM   post #5 of 16
4020man
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 4769

Well, its either an injector or one of the cylinders is dead. To me it sounds like a miss. In order to test an injector, you have to take it out.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:19 PM   post #6 of 16
Milwaukee
Dan

MTF Member # 2557

I can hear knock like door knock. it would stop when rev it.

how hard to remove injector do we need replace gasket if install on it?

how we test? watch spray? it kind hard to start when hot. just several sec finally start it.

Please join this
Old 04-06-2008, 12:00 AM   post #7 of 16
okieduc104
dirtgeezer

MTF Member # 7177

A lot of white smoke that falls to the ground indicates unburned diesel fuel, poor compression, bad injector, was it a very cold day (Below 20 Degrees F) Did it develop full power, did you get to see the tractor work with a load?

I would say a very worn engine that may need a complete overhaul.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:25 AM   post #8 of 16
mark777
Administrator

MTF Member # 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee View Post
How we can be sure if it bad injector? GUy say it been for 10 years...........Is there test for injector without remove it?

Thank
The quickest and most revealing test is to loosen the fuel pipe fitting right at the injector.

While the tractor is running at idle, loosen one injector line at the injector fuel pipe fitting...if the engine slows down or stalls then that injector is operating correctly. Re-tighten that line and proceed to the next injector. IF and WHEN you disconnect a fitting at an injector that does NOT change the engine speed or stall the tractor - this is the injector that is bad or has problems.

This test (to put it into perspective) is much like removing a plug wire from a 4-6-8 cylinder gas engine. The plug wire, once removed, that doesn't change the idle of the engine is the bad one.....

Iím very optimistic when a diesel engine runs badlyÖeven terribly! Itís much better than a diesel that doesnít run at all. Years of wear and tear just means that fresh rod, main bearings, valve & seat regrind, guides, piston rings and a cylinder bore (or cylinder hone if insignificant taper) and the engine is good to go for many more trouble free years.

Hope this helps.

Mark
mark777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 09:28 PM   post #9 of 16
Milwaukee
Dan

MTF Member # 2557

How I would find injector?

This one is different from my boss because I can't see injector there sound it hide in somewhere.

I can't say but it should be gm or Detroit diesel. 4 or 6 cylinders.

Guy say it do that way since 1985 that he bought from company.

Please join this
Old 04-08-2008, 12:35 AM   post #10 of 16
okieduc104
dirtgeezer

MTF Member # 7177

Detroit or a GM 2 stroke probably has the racks and injectors under the valve cover, check out where the fuel lines go to. They are an entirely different critter than your usual diesel engine.

unless you are a good Detroit mechanic, I would say pass this loader by.

They are an endangered species that could not be made to pass the EPA requirements economocally.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:21 AM   post #11 of 16
Ingersoll444
ex spelling bee champ

MTF Member # 16

Thouse old two strokes were smokers to begean with wernt they???? Frankly if its been doing it sence 85 I would just let her smoke. Keeping the exouse from rusting.

Visit The Case Ingersoll Colt Forum.

SUPER Of The Month 10/2011
Ingersoll444 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 AM   post #12 of 16
nevadadigger
gruntled poster

MTF Member # 23714

Hi i have a trojan that looks just like that same model. mine is a 134a with ud 282 inline 6 international . cant tell for sure what this is. like Milwaukee said is to do a cyl bal test by disconnecting one injector line at a time checking the rpm drop on each hole. but it sure looks like unburned fuel to me. Yes they make an injector pump tester amy good diesel shop will have one.Digger
nevadadigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 11:04 AM   post #13 of 16
Paul J
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19817

Been around Detroit's, 4-71s, 6-71s, 91s etc. for years. It doesn't sound like a Detroit to me. Sounds like an International, might be wrong though. Engine has to be at running temperature to make a fuel evaluation. Old equipment like this invariably has bad thermostats in them and the engines never come up to temp. Hence, white smoke. Black smoke, worn out injectors, I doubt very much if the pump pressure is to high. Blue smoke, Low compression, rings shot. As far as the compression knock, 80% of it should disappear when up to operating temperature and then it should only knock at idle. If it knocks at operating RPMs, go buy another loader, it'll be cheaper. JMHO. PJ
Paul J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 03:34 AM   post #14 of 16
ohiocowboy1277
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 26703

I just watched the video and from the looks of it its got a bad injector or a couple .If an injector goes bad it will blow either white or black smoke and will smell like unburned diesel . If that is a detroit and it was cold it will smoke especially when they have some time put on them when theyre new its not so bad but after years of use they smoke and knock when theyre cold almost to the point of making you think its about to come apart lol. the easiest way to ive found to check for a bad injector is pull the exhaust manifold off then run it see which hole the smoke is coming from and thats the bad injector . to check if the rings are bad simply look at the crankcase vent tube the more smoke coming from it means that the rings are worn if very little to almost none rings are fine . if it looks like a steam engine stack with it dumping out bad rings time to walk away or talk him down on price quite a bit . as far as the rest of the engine if it knocks above idle look elsewhere if the knock goes away above idle its fine also check oil pressure if its within specs the engine should be fine below specs probably needs a oil pump and rod and main bearings at the least
ohiocowboy1277 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2009, 05:09 AM   post #15 of 16
rabbit rescue
No Longer With Us

MTF Member # 25745

that video made my hair tingle ... if you feel a strange sensation when viewing it, it's from your DNA mutating at a basic level from the amount of sheer, undiluted pollution and unburned fuel pouring out of this engine ... right now there's a polar bear out there somewhere weeping because of this loader

I agree 100% about the bad injector pump - might even be more than one is funky ... tell him to get that thing fixed, or part it out and move on! ... he's causing as much damage to the environment every time he uses that smoke machine as if every MTF member was mowing grass with every mower they own all at the same time

seriously though,I wish your friend the best of luck - hopefully it will be easy and inexpensive to repair it ... and with all of the cylinders running, it will be like a whole new loader for him too - one with easier starting, better fuel economy and LOTS more power without fogging everything out

at least if he repairs it he will either have a really nice loader, or one that he could actually sell to get another one - he wouldn't get much for it the way it is now
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.