lawn boy carburetor # 98-7042 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Walk Behind Mowers We all use them from time to time... no seats on them.. but they get the job done!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:27 AM   post #1 of 15
denmick
MTF Member

MTF Member # 10447
Default lawn boy carburetor # 98-7042

I am looking at the parts list from lawn boy an the jet on the side under the decal is not listed. Why is that?
In a previous post I replaced my carburetor because it would not start. When I took out the spark plug and pulled on the cord fuel would come out of the cylinder. There was also fuel under the muffler cover. Could the original carburetor be warped if not could it have been rebuilt.
denmick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2008, 10:34 AM   post #2 of 15
Walt 2002
Senior MTF Poster

MTF Member # 1229
Default Re: lawn boy carburetor # 98-7042

"When I took out the spark plug and pulled on the cord fuel would come out of the cylinder. There was also fuel under the muffler cover."

This is an indication that the Carb float needle is leaking. A new needle and seat (if this one has replaceable seat) should take care of the problem. Don't know what model mower you have but if it is not equipped with a gas line shut off valve, you should install one and use it when engine is not running.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2008, 11:03 AM   post #3 of 15
Indy452
5K Poster!!!

MTF Member # 7780

You need to definately add the fuel shut off to the new carb. Your old carb just could have been flooding out the engine with all the excess fuel that was allowed to pass by fouling out the plug (speculation).

Its hard to tell if the carb was warped but its totally possible with the plastic ones. I've had warped carbs before on LB's.

I'm not sure why the jet is not listed you speak of.

Neal
Indy452 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2008, 11:36 AM   post #4 of 15
Edward
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:

MTF Member # 4340

denmick check my previous post to you yesterday in there is a carb rebuild thread for this very carb and I am sure you will find all your answers in there as I was asking the same type things; it will maybe add to your info on this
Edward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2008, 12:22 PM   post #5 of 15
echoman
2 stroke enthusiast

MTF Member # 6344

My only guess the reason they don't list the pilot jet is that they don't want consumers even shops messing with them. Kind of keep the green weiners off their backs.
echoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2008, 12:54 PM   post #6 of 15
denmick
MTF Member

MTF Member # 10447

I just came back from the local small engine repair shop. I had to order the vibra tach. I bought a metal shut off valve for 12.85 he says the plastic leak in a year or two and he has never seen the metal one leak.The name is oregon outdoor equipment parts/# 07-403. I asked for a paper filter and he game me the red plastic one.. He said on a two cycle the oil will gum up the paper filter.They do not use echo oil anymore it got to expensive they now use redmax oil at 50/1. I do not agree with the 50/1 mix. the redmax oil is not Synthetic just a good quality oil. and it comes 50/1 mix
I took the oil carburetor with me and showed him the jet under the decal and he said lawn boy has it hidden there so you will not mess with it. It is not in the parts list for that reason.

They do not make a metal angle shut off valve and I installed the valve and the filter and had to put a bend that touched the deck and then to the carburetor.
I have the rear bag chute that hides most of the gas line so I put the shut off as soon as the hose came out of the gas tank so i could reach it.

The spark plugs that they use which i have a few of them is bpm4a the r stands for resistor which would stop any interference. I do not have a radio mounted to my lawn boy
Old 03-28-2008, 01:12 PM   post #7 of 15
echoman
2 stroke enthusiast

MTF Member # 6344

What do you mean you don't have a radio mounted on that mower? All my Lawn Boys came factory equiped with an Mp3 player. Just plug right into the handle and your off jamin!

Resistors were originally designed to protect RF interference from high voltage ignitions that may be picked up by radio antennaes. Remember the good ol' days before satellite and digital cable people actually had antennaes on their roofs in such?

Does the Redmax oil have any ratings of quality on the container?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:22 PM   post #8 of 15
Walt 2002
Senior MTF Poster

MTF Member # 1229

"he has never seen the metal one leak."

Must keep his eyes shut a lot.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2008, 01:25 PM   post #9 of 15
Edward
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:

MTF Member # 4340

the red filter is a wire mesh screen. I have the same thing but only because thats alll they had. if you (we) want to avoid problems down the road with debris clogging the lb carb jets we will need a paper one. Lowes for me carries them but is always out.
I have a plastic sov, it hasnt leaked at all. It may be that they are only selling you whats on their shelf.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:38 PM   post #10 of 15
echoman
2 stroke enthusiast

MTF Member # 6344

Briggs markets and sells a good plastic shutoff valve. Seems some of the other spin offs like Oregon and such could be more prone to leaking issues. I've never had a problem with these valves or filters getting it done properly. You never know anymore about anything made today and how long it will last? 3 days or 30 years?!
Old 03-28-2008, 02:15 PM   post #11 of 15
Edward
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:

MTF Member # 4340

everything is disposable except caskets anymore.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:17 PM   post #12 of 15
denmick
MTF Member

MTF Member # 10447

Well we will see how long my metal shut off lasts. I like the nice lever on it, just flip it and it is closed rather then turn or screw in the plastic one. (only time will tell WALT) Do I need hose clamps on the connections. Lawn boy out of the factory did not not have clamps on the fuel tank and carb. I put a new hose on and the connections are very tight. The line is not under pressure.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:13 PM   post #13 of 15
Indy452
5K Poster!!!

MTF Member # 7780

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmick View Post
Well we will see how long my metal shut off lasts. I like the nice lever on it, just flip it and it is closed rather then turn or screw in the plastic one. (only time will tell WALT) Do I need hose clamps on the connections. Lawn boy out of the factory did not not have clamps on the fuel tank and carb. I put a new hose on and the connections are very tight. The line is not under pressure.
I use pleated paper ones in my commercial Toro's and Never have I had one "Gum up" whatever that means. These Toro's use 50:1 oil/gas ratio.

For total debris control use paper not wire mesh filters. Maybe someone can prove me wrong but I've never had an issue with oil getting into the cylinder using the paper. I'm not sure how it gets in but it does. Does anyone know for sure?

Neal

Last edited by Indy452; 03-28-2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: I'm not really sure.
Indy452 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2008, 05:05 PM   post #14 of 15
echoman
2 stroke enthusiast

MTF Member # 6344

I would totally agree that paper would completely filter out what a screen filter wouldn't catch, but IMHO, if you're running screens and still having dirt clog them up or your carburetors, than you REALLY need to evaluate your fuel handling procedures and maybe flush the cans. Now I'm not "grandfathered" in just yet with experience on engines of any kind, but with over 22 years of serious maintenance, I've never had a carburetor issue from a filter not doing it's job and changing them ever so often according to hours in service. My .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2008, 07:10 PM   post #15 of 15
denmick
MTF Member

MTF Member # 10447

I just came back from Home Depot and they had lawn boy oil for 1.49. Do they still make the green can? On the inline fuel filter how often do you change it? How does the gator blade compare to the lawn boy blade. What paper filter do you guys use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.