Deutz-Allis found, good or bad option? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 03-11-2008, 01:16 AM   #1
2005x
MTF Member

MTF Member # 9894
Default Deutz-Allis found, good or bad option?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/grd/600992431.html

Found this Deutz-Alis on craigslist. I've been on a search for mostly Cubs (like the shaft drive, like this mentions) or wheel horses. Not the brand I was looking for, but it popped up and I'm curious to know more. Seems like a pretty stout machine, but also seems like it could be a full time job to find parts if have hydro parts or similar. Any feedback?

Basically I'm looking for a capable and dependable mower that can also use a blade for some yard 'shaping' as well as snow plowing. I'm pretty handy and do maintenance ans small repairs but not lookin to re-build hydro units in my garage. Whatcha think? And how hard is it to find a compatible snow blade?

Thanks!
2005x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 03:49 AM   #2
Vmax
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 7188
Default Re: Deutz-Allis found, good or bad option?

That is a Simplicity built tractor that has been rebadged for Deutz-Allis. I have an Ultima Myself, which is the 20 hp version. The Simplicty Sunstar is the same. Go to Simpletractors.com and there are all sorts of great guys who can help tell you more about that machine. That price isn't bad, I have seen them a bit cheaper. There was an 18 hp version in my area needing a bit of work for $550. I don't think you would do bad for that price, if the guy comes down any at all, you get a heckuva deal.

Sears GT/18, Case Ingersoll 444 Ford LGT 100, JD 110, JD 112,JD 216,JD 318, Simplicity Sunstar, Simplicity 3014 w/tiller plow blade, sicklebar, Ariens S-12h,Gravely 816T, Deutz-Allis 1920 Ultima (2)
Vmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
2005x
MTF Member

MTF Member # 9894

Thanks Vmax.

Went to that site, found a brochure for D/A from 1987. Odd thing is this tractor looks like their "Ultima" 1918 and 1920 but no mention of a 16HP version. So, wonder if this is newer or older than '87? Like some of the build features they describe in the catalog, like shaft-drive and auto-locking rear diff if start slipping, etc. Just worry about seals and all due to the age.

Will try to dig there to learn more and see if the seller knows the age, etc. Looks like a heavy duty machine though. Geoff.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
simplelife
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 1233

Try this link for information on the 1916. It was an Ultima produced between 1988-1990.

http://www.tractordata.com/lt/lt566.html

The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, your not going anywhere!
simplelife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
NEWT92
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 8405

Simplicity made the 16hp Sunstar for 1 or 2 years I think. The Sunstars started in 1986. There was also a 14hp version. Both the 14 and 16 hp had either 42" or 48" decks. I have a 16hp version I bought on a auction for parts. If it runs good then $750 would be max IMO. Those had hydrostatic tran. and hydraulic deck lift.
NEWT92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
2005x
MTF Member

MTF Member # 9894

Thanks for the additional info. So far, have not gotten a call back on the tractor ad anyway, so we'll see.

Kinda wondering if the deck is original on this thing, says 56" which is not an option per the literature. I guess it could be the 60" deck and just measured it wrong. Now that I've been researching it, would really like to have the 20HP version to get the power steering and indep braking.

Thanks again, Geoff.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
Mower_Man42
A semi-retired senior cit

MTF Member # 114

What you need is the serial number and that will tell you everything you want to know ever look at a owners manual. At $750.00 for a shaft driven tractor isn`t a bad price, just look what a new one would cost for the same setup, you`d be looking at a $9,000.00 price tag if not more. I think its more of a garden tractor then a lawn tractor like it listed as, and it looks well cared for.

2008 Cyclone Rake Command Pro
1981 Wheel Horse C-85 with snow plow
1969 Case 444 PK with 44" mower deck
2009 Honda HRX hydro Drive 21" Versamow system.

2006 Scag Wildcat 52" cut 25hp Kawasaki
Mower_Man42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #8
mopar65pa
MTF Member

MTF Member # 22927

So do they have a hydrolic hitch in the rear?
mopar65pa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
gburnett
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 9399

You could get a Cat 0 3pt hitch but very few had them and they are pricey.I converted a tiller hitch on one of my 18HP Sunstars to use the older AC/Simplcity equipment and am working on a heavy duty reasonable cost Cat 0 for the Sunstar/Ultimas.
gburnett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.