Little Toro snowblower question - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Snow Removal Equipment Winter snow throwing, plowing, and removal forum. From snow blowers to snow shovels, you'll find them here.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
Indy452
5K Poster!!!

MTF Member # 7780
Default Little Toro snowblower question

I picked up this little Toro two stroke snowblower a couple of weeks ago to add to the arsenal.

Its an older model from 1984. It has a little 2.5 hp Tecumseah two stroke in it with a diaphram carb. It runs real good and does a descent job with snow under 6".

I'm wondering why it smokes real heavy and bogs out when I tilt the handle way down? Its fine when I pull it back up. I realize I would never run it at that angle but shouldn't a two stroke especially with a diaphram carb run the same at about any angle?

Thanks, Neal

Indy452 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
Termy
Banned

MTF Member # 1224
Default Re: Little Toro snowblower question

Are you sure you got the mixture right? It sounds like it might be running too rich from too much oil in the gasoline. Check to make sure you are running the proper mixture for that machine.

Thanks for the pics!
Termy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
jerry_nj
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 1077

Looks "brand new", assume you did a real clean-up job before picture time.

While the mixture is important, I'd guess 32:1 for an older engine, I agree, why smoke in one position and not another, the oil is mixed (uniformly) in the gas and that is position independent. Maybe you spilled some oil on the engine. Is the smoke only out the exhaust? Not smoking on the muffler?
jerry_nj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
Mrwiggles2
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 495

Should run either way, I'd play with the mixture first.

You Tube Channel Link Below. Videos on my tractors, how-to and just good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrwiggles2?feature=mhee

1989 Wheel Horse 416-8 16hp Onan

1989 Wheel Horse 520-H 20hp Onan
Mrwiggles2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
Brad
MTF--A Step Above!

MTF Member # 4571

Dumb thought--Maybe fuel drains into the crankcase and when you tilt it it runs heavily into the cylinder? Maybe a fuel shut-off would be in order?? Shut off the fuel supply and when the unit starts to die, tilt it back and see if it starts running again.

Brad
Brad is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 11:42 PM   #6
Indy452
5K Poster!!!

MTF Member # 7780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Dumb thought--Maybe fuel drains into the crankcase and when you tilt it it runs heavily into the cylinder? Maybe a fuel shut-off would be in order?? Shut off the fuel supply and when the unit starts to die, tilt it back and see if it starts running again.

Brad
Thats a pretty good idea Brad. I've been mixing fuel/oil for a great long time and I'm not saying I couldn't screw up but that is 32:1 in there I'm sure. Its just a new find so I have ways of manipulating every little thing till its just about perfect. My guess is the fuel/oil in cylinder too. I can't think of any other reason.

I'll try a shutoff and see what happens. Most people around here are sick of the snow/ice /cold but I'm ready for more. Can't they understand I've got toys to try out??

Thanks folks.

Neal
Indy452 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
echoman
2 stroke enthusiast

MTF Member # 6344

My grandfather had an older similar model which always smoked and would never really "tune" well. We ditched it several years ago-about the time I switched to fully synthetic oil. Maybe switch to a better oil, and lean it out a bit. Even though it appears to have very little use, it wouldn't hurt to pull the pipe and muffler and spray it out with some carb or brake cleaner.
echoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
lawnmowertech
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 7268

hehehehe i kinda like that blower housing that gold color really looks awesome first time i ever seen a gold blower housing

calvin but i give it a 10 for colorization

Quote:
I'm wondering why it smokes real heavy and bogs out when I tilt the handle way down? Its fine when I pull it back up. I realize I would never run it at that angle but shouldn't a two stroke especially with a diaphram carb run the same at about any angle?

i agree with brad and termy on this one it can be that very thing when it gets tilted it throws some mixture into the cylinder and it has no choice to smoke a little another thing is is there any adjustment screws on the mixture of that carb ?
i would check into that also could be too rich of fuel at high rpms or too lean one depends on where it starts to bogg down at when its running full speed or low idle ?

Last edited by lawnmowertech; 01-27-2008 at 12:42 PM.
lawnmowertech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
lawnmowertech
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 7268

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoman View Post
My grandfather had an older similar model which always smoked and would never really "tune" well. We ditched it several years ago-about the time I switched to fully synthetic oil. Maybe switch to a better oil, and lean it out a bit. Even though it appears to have very little use, it wouldn't hurt to pull the pipe and muffler and spray it out with some carb or brake cleaner.
good choice there echoman the muffler on 2 cycle engines are a prime canidate for bogg down issues that muffler if it has a spark arrestor screen in it it gets clogged up the engine cannot push out exhaust or cant breathe hardly so it backpressures the exhaust and in turn can bogg the engine down i would check that muffler as well if it can be taken apart clean it up soak it in some parts cleaner solution and see if that helps clean out the deposits in the muffler

you can most likely do this procedures most the time without buying any parts also check the air filter a dirty air filter will cause running issues as well

hope this helps get her to running smoothly for you

calvin
lawnmowertech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #10
echoman
2 stroke enthusiast

MTF Member # 6344

Most snowblowers including these models, didn't come from the factory with an air cleaner element.

That "gold" color you're referring to Calvin is zinc dichromate. It's a durable plating used in many forms including grade 8 fasteners to help curb corrosion. It's also used by many small engine builders on many different parts.
echoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.