Best Carb Cleaner? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Small Engines and Repair

Midwest Mower Pro

Old 01-15-2008, 09:07 AM   post #1 of 22
MuckSavage
MTF Member

MTF Member # 8586
Question Best Carb Cleaner?

Okay, what do you like to use? Is there a specific brand? Whatever's on sale? Good ol' pour in liquid STP? Please list your answers as spray & liquid.

I.E.;
Spray; Berkobile Gum Cutter
Liquid; Sea Foam

I ask this 'cause I bought some cheapie spray stuff & it seemed like I used alot to clean a little!
I saw some stuff that looked similar PB Blaster can, but it was a carb treatment....anyone ever use that?

Last edited by MuckSavage; 01-15-2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: sp.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2008, 09:18 AM   post #2 of 22
draddogs

MTF Member # 4
Default Re: Best Carb Cleaner?

I like warm soappy water and an old tooth brush to clean the body and related parts then use CRC carb cleaner to get the passages and jets clean.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

Pee on it and walk away.
draddogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 09:50 AM   post #3 of 22
Ken in NJ

MTF Member # 284

What ever is on sale ... I just buy a case of 12 .. I also use my neighbors parts cleaner for general cleaning.
Ken in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 10:11 AM   post #4 of 22
DLF_IN
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 1844

I usually use paint thinner on the outside before I take one apart. Then I use Beeryman's B12 in all the jets and passages.
Dave
DLF_IN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 10:25 AM   post #5 of 22
Husqvarnas traktorer
MTF Member

MTF Member # 8871

I use Barryman's Chem Tool dip. Dip the carburetor in it for about 30 minutes and hose off with water. It is reusable and lasts a long time. It works on engine parts like hot tanking with out the heat. Comes in 1 gallon and 5 gallon buckets. I have an old waterpic unit to jet out the carburetor jets and passages with hydraulic water pressure then blow out with air
Husqvarnas traktorer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 11:14 AM   post #6 of 22
CityFarmer
{This Space Available}

MTF Member # 8778

I always liked Berkible stuff but I have not seen it around in years. I usually do not let things get too bad...so plain old Gumout is enough for me.
CityFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 11:17 AM   post #7 of 22
Dude11
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 8852

Guys,If you've heard of or tried this,you will agree.Got it from a fellow that's been doing it for years with total success.I had a Walbro on a Tec.engine that just would not be cleaned(internally)after three attemps.I then came across his recipe,you got to stick to amounts and brands,one gal.water,one cup of Tide laundry soap powder;bring to a boil and suspend carb.body from wire in the mix.Let it boil one hour.Pull it out, rinse and then blow it out with compressor.Install your rebuild kit,and your good to go.I did all this in my shop on a fish cooker burner,it is not what your wife wants to find on the stove I also have done this on two other carbs.with great success So give a try next time you have one to rebuild,cheap and very affective. Dude11
Dude11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 11:24 AM   post #8 of 22
mark777
Administrator

MTF Member # 252

I can't remember what a poster said but …it was a home brew of alcohol and something else?? Maybe vinegar?? It was months ago, looked for the thread but couldn’t find it.
mark777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 01:51 PM   post #9 of 22
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867
Wink Re: Best Carb Cleaner?

I use whatever I have handy--Laquer thinner,Mineral Spirits,or some Gumout in either spray can or liquid form..if your able to afford it,they have one gallon cans of carb cleaner available with a dip basket that works great,but dont put any nylon,plastic,or brass parts in it,because they WILL dissapear or be damged!..a neighbor of mine used that to clean a carb off a late model Briggs motor that was made completely of nylon,and it was GONE when he lifted the basket up an hour later to see how it was cleaning it!--all that remained was a pile of sticky goo,and a few springs and other metal prts!..

I have read in old hot rod magazines that toilet bowl cleaner like Vanish or Sani-Flush worked well on old carbs that were heavily oxidized,and I tried using some,it does work quite well,but is very caustic--use gloves and eye protection when using it..I simply submerged the carb in a plastic bucket of water and added some Vanish,shook it up a bit,let it soak for 15 munites,and it came out bright and shiny like new..

An older friend who restores antique cars uses battery electrolyte to clean his carbs that are all white and pasty from years of moisture exposure,and it works very well,but you must not leave the carb in it for long--it fizzes like soda,and will eat any brass parts quickly!..use baking soda and water to thouroghly rinse the carb out to neutralize the acid after cleaning,and blow it dry with an air gun..you can buy battery electrolyte at good parts stores in gallon size plastic bags..this is best on carbs that are really corroded,it will work when everything else fails,it even boils out the jet passages that were clogged with corrosion..but too long in the solution will eat the carb completely,so don't just drop it in and walk away!..

Bob
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 04:29 PM   post #10 of 22
okieduc104
dirtgeezer

MTF Member # 7177

I like a good solvent cleaner, aerosol B-12 works well to clean the passages and circuits in a carb, be sure to use rubber gloves and eye protection, it hurts like crazy if you get it in your eyes. Outboard engines are very bad to clog up due the the mix of oil and gas after they have spent the winter outside. I disconnect the fuel snap on hose and fill the hose it with B-12 (pour can) and pump it into the carb several times, wash out the inside of the carb by spraying it into the intake, it also is good starting fluid.

For small engines that have set for a long period of time (tiller)(pressure washer) that have the fuel tank on top of the carb, I will put a small amount into the almost empty tank and put the choke on and pull the spark plug and pull the starting rope thru a couple of times, then let it sit for 30 minutes, pull it thru a couple more times, blow out the stuff on top of the piston, replace the spark plug, fill the fuel tank with fresh gas , be sure it has plenty of oil, and starts right up and runs smooth.

I need to find a gallon of that B-12 soaking stuff, where do they sell it?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:49 AM   post #11 of 22
Reep1077
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 3747

I like to use the napa brand carb dip. Remove all the plastic and neoprene part then let it soak for 20 min or so. Then I grab the crc carb cleaner and spray it down good. next I grab my torch tip cleaners and clean the jets and passages. After all that I give it one last blast with the CRC cleaner and put it back together......So far so good, they always come clean.
Reep1077 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 10:46 AM   post #12 of 22
echoman
2 stroke enthusiast

MTF Member # 6344

Totally agree with the B-12 by Chemtool! Works 10x faster and better all around than Gumout. Tends to burn in the eyes worse too! Highly recommend a face shield or safety glasses at least when using it.
echoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 11:22 AM   post #13 of 22
pigsitter
the "AWOL member"

MTF Member # 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoman View Post
Totally agree with the B-12 by Chemtool! Works 10x faster and better all around than Gumout. Tends to burn in the eyes worse too! Highly recommend a face shield or safety glasses at least when using it.
works great but really burns the eyes,luckily I wear glasses!!

My favorite song

proud to be a member since 2005 and aggravating Ken in NJ since sometime shortly thereafter

Uh Oh! someone left the gate open, pig's gone walkabout again!!

Where is everybody?
pigsitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 12:25 PM   post #14 of 22
tommyj3
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6305

For carb rebuilds and cleaning I use the cheap brand sold by Wal-mart, Super Tech carb cleaner. Works good for me.
For preventive maintainance I use Seafoam in every tank of gasoline. I'm a firm believer if you use Seaform you won't need the Super Tech cleaner.
tommyj3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 01:35 PM   post #15 of 22
USN_ED
Old Fart

MTF Member # 49

Chemtool works great.

NEVER FORGET "The Battling Bastards of Bataan" !!! We owe them much.

MTD Yard Machines "GOLD"
Craftsman GT5000

**** MTF 5 Year Sponsor ****

Sears "Chevron Tires" SKU # 71-24167 (Two AG tires mounted on steel rims with valve stems).
USN_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.