John Deere Lawn Tractor L130 - dying hydrostatic drive - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 01-05-2008, 04:42 AM   post #1 of 214
nzo
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 8796
Thumbs up John Deere Lawn Tractor L130 - dying hydrostatic drive

Over the last 6 months, I've noticed the hydrostatic drive getting weaker and weaker, to the point where if the ride-on has been mowing for an hour or less it cannot get up slopes it used to handle with ease. If I continue mowing I'll be lucky to get the machine back to base.

Two years ago, about 2 years after purchasing the new L130, I noticed the same problem, resulting in the John Deere agency replacing the hydrostatic transmission under warranty.

I expressed my concern at the time that the same fault may happen again, with us having to foot the out-of-warranty bill next time. The agency's response was that this was most likely a 'one-off'.

When I contacted them before Christmas about the present problem, the service guy said, "Oh, we don't bother repairing these transmissions - we just throw them out and put in a new one."

This did not reassure me at all, and made me wonder how many other L130 owners are being taken to the cleaners by John Deere with having to replace their transmissions about once every two years!

It also makes me wonder if there is some underlying fault in this transmission that JD are not being straight about.

Any insights very much appreciated.
nzo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2008, 05:39 AM   post #2 of 214
slkpk
USMC

MTF Member # 37
Default Re: John Deere Lawn Tractor L130 - dying hydrostatic drive

and sorry to hear about your tranny. Since you've already had it replaced once and JD has a record of the problem this may help you to get it fixed or replaced once out of warranty You may also want to think about trading it in while it still working. JMO. slkpk
It's too late to worry about it now!

slkpk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2008, 08:11 AM   post #3 of 214
JDFANATIC
9K+ Poster

MTF Member # 41
Garage

Our churches L has over 400 hours on it with many riders and less than recommended maintenance. The only problem we've had was a burned out electric pto clutch. I wouldn't say all L's had hydrostatic problems. If I remember correctly, your tractor doesn't have a serviceable hydro. I've heard of owners draining the hydro (by tipping tractor or removing the unit) and replacing the fluid. This may help in your case, otherwise, the only other thing I can think of is that this wasn't the right tractor for your uses.

JDFANATIC
JD2210, loaded tires, 62C MMM, 210 Loader, 47" Snowblower, York Rake, PTO Spreader, Heated Cab, JD Plug Aerator, FIMCO Sprayer, Wheel Spacers, FEMCO Folding ROPS, JD Cart, Stihl MS170 and HT101, Wallenstein BX32 PTO Chipper
JDFANATIC is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2008, 09:34 AM   post #4 of 214
pefer
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFANATIC View Post
I've heard of owners draining the hydro (by tipping tractor or removing the unit) and replacing the fluid. This may help in your case,
Just as was my case, with my L118 TRACTOR.... If you can turn a wrench or two, it isn't all that hard to do.

I took the tranny out, dumped the original ugly oil out of it, refilled with synth oil, runs as good as new, it has been 2 years since the service to the un-serviceable unit. I plan on doing the same again this summer.
pefer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2008, 12:41 PM   post #5 of 214
JDFANATIC
9K+ Poster

MTF Member # 41
Garage

pefer,

Thanks for chiming in!

JDFANATIC
JD2210, loaded tires, 62C MMM, 210 Loader, 47" Snowblower, York Rake, PTO Spreader, Heated Cab, JD Plug Aerator, FIMCO Sprayer, Wheel Spacers, FEMCO Folding ROPS, JD Cart, Stihl MS170 and HT101, Wallenstein BX32 PTO Chipper
JDFANATIC is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2008, 02:46 PM   post #6 of 214
Mayor

MTF Member # 2656

Try this out!!!

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...=21664&aID=24A

Mayor is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2008, 06:23 PM   post #7 of 214
pigsitter
the "AWOL member"

MTF Member # 1020

I like the product review in the link Mayor provided,I think it's the first time I ever saw a tool described as visually pleasing!!Truly written by someone who appreciates a finely made tool.

My favorite song

proud to be a member since 2005 and aggravating Ken in NJ since sometime shortly thereafter

Uh Oh! someone left the gate open, pig's gone walkabout again!!

Where is everybody?
pigsitter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 02:45 PM   post #8 of 214
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

you can easily change the oil inthe tranny. Wally2q posted instructions over on garden web, but looks like the post is gone now due to age. shoot him a PM and see if he cna repost in detail.

the simple breakdown is to remove the tranny from under the mower, pull out the vent cap, turn the tranny over and let it drain. then refill with 10w30, reinstall the vent cap, and reinstall onto your tractor. i did mine on my L130 end of the summer and it ran fine afterwards. took me all of about 2 hours to do, and that was due to a stuck bolt!
davidg is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 03:25 PM   post #9 of 214
Mayor

MTF Member # 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
you can easily change the oil inthe tranny. Wally2q posted instructions over on garden web, but looks like the post is gone now due to age. shoot him a PM and see if he cna repost in detail.

the simple breakdown is to remove the tranny from under the mower, pull out the vent cap, turn the tranny over and let it drain. then refill with 10w30, reinstall the vent cap, and reinstall onto your tractor. i did mine on my L130 end of the summer and it ran fine afterwards. took me all of about 2 hours to do, and that was due to a stuck bolt!
I think my way was easy but if you got the time!!!

Mayor is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 08:32 PM   post #10 of 214
CHDinCT
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 7272

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post

If you go this route, I'd think about putting a drain plug in the bottom at the lowest point possible. Could make your unserviceable tranny serviceable after all. Also, I'd measure how much oil came out so you know how much to put back in.

BX25, 54" MMM, 5' Rake, Wallenstein BX42 PTO Chipper, Woods Rear Blade, 54" front blade, 48" box blade, Ratchet Rake.
1993 Wheel Horse 520-H, 48" deck & vac bagger.
1967 Wheel Horse 1077 with 36" RD deck (in resto).
Cyclone Rake, and other toys, I mean tools
CHDinCT is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 11:02 PM   post #11 of 214
jdkubotamurray
Guru on the Mountain

MTF Member # 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by pefer View Post
Just as was my case, with my L118 TRACTOR.... If you can turn a wrench or two, it isn't all that hard to do.

I took the tranny out, dumped the original ugly oil out of it, refilled with synth oil, runs as good as new, it has been 2 years since the service to the un-serviceable unit. I plan on doing the same again this summer.
For just a few more $$ they could make them servicable. That's what I hate about mass merchandisers and buying on price alone.
jdkubotamurray is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 11:21 AM   post #12 of 214
JMC
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 5082

If I was going to take the transaxle out ONCE to change the oil, I'd take it down to a shop and have a plug installed in the lower housing. Once is enough the hard way!!

'06 JD X300, 42" Edge Deck, 7 Bushel Bagger, 10P Cart, JD 175 lb. Spreader;
'07 Toro PowerMax 828LXE Snow Thrower
JMC is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 05:08 PM   post #13 of 214
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

on my L130 a drain at the bottom would be fine. but the problem is trying to get something inthe top to refill it. space is real tight!

i did dump my old fluid in a bucket and mark teh level. then i poured it in teh jug with my other burnt oil, cleaned the bucket, and filled to that level with new fresh oil. that way i pretty much put the same amount back inthat i took out. i still had to top it off a little, but not much.
davidg is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2008, 10:57 AM   post #14 of 214
Fred Mertz
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 1095

Just thought I would butt in and ask a few questions about transmissions. I have a '94 LX 176 that I bought used a few years ago. A single cylinder 14HP Kawasaki engine and a K-61 transmission. It is used only for mowing a 1/2 acre flat city lot. Anyway I just wanted to know how the K-61 compared with the transmission on an X300 and am I able to change the oil in the K-61 without removing it from the machine. As far as I know the oil has never been changed. Thanks.
Fred Mertz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2008, 04:54 AM   post #15 of 214
nzo
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 8796

Thanks for all the excellent info folks. I think I'll have a crack at doing the transmission myself, after we find out if John Deere are going to come to the party or not. Cheers to all!
nzo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.