JD 54" blade Skid Shoes - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 12-05-2007, 12:57 PM   post #1 of 23
jsb2b
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6894
Default JD 54" blade Skid Shoes

Since I just plowed my first wet snow this year and the JD skids on my 54" blade did their usual tearing up the crushed bluestone driveway, I was wondering if anyone has fitted a pair of SnowBear shoes on their 54" blade. I was thinking the JD blade's low weight combined with the conical shape of the SnowBear shoes would allow the shoes to skim over the stone better than the JD skids, especially when I have to angle the blade...
SnowBear makes a 5", 4", and a smaller shoe for ATVs. I'm thinking of using the 4" but would like some feedback from this forum's members before I shell out $80.... Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skidshoe02.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	29904  
jsb2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2007, 01:47 PM   post #2 of 23
Mayor

MTF Member # 2656
Default Re: JD 54" blade Skid Shoes

Blacktop the driveway!!!

I can not help you with the blade but if I was doing a stone driveway with a bucket, blade, or blower I would try and keep an 1/2 in of snow on the driveway. This way you don't have any problems. I would also remove the feet that are giving you problems. I did this on my blower and it worked better. Just my two cents.

Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 02:22 PM   post #3 of 23
bontai Joe
Citizen of Earth

MTF Member # 51

I've seen several guys just weld wider "feet" (about 6" wide) to the bottoms of the stock skids. Cost is under $20 for a shop to make and weld 'em for you.

ALWAYS remember to remove the spark plug wire from the plug before sticking your hand in the machine!!!! The fingers you save could be your own.
bontai Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 02:32 PM   post #4 of 23
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

I can't answer your question js, I've got a gravel drive too, and the 46" JD blade, so I know what you mean about the skid shoes tearing up the stone, was just outside and plowing in a wet snow, we got 6-7 inches here so far, pretty hard trying to keep from plowing up a bunch of gravel with each pass. What I did was adjust the skid shoes to even with the blade since they are not doing any good anyway, and just hold back on the lift handle some which helps keep the blade up a couple inches and helps keep from grabbing so much gravel. Course if you got hydraulic lift you would'nt have the strain of having to hold the handle up each pass.

Once the ground freezes good it won't be a problem.
Jim_WV is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 03:08 PM   post #5 of 23
Team_Green
Banned!

MTF Member # 7124

I would install some good castor wheels. I would think you would get marks in your blue stone with no matter what skids you use. Is your driveway really packed well or are the stones loose on top?
Team_Green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 04:00 PM   post #6 of 23
jsb2b
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Green View Post
I would install some good castor wheels. I would think you would get marks in your blue stone with no matter what skids you use. Is your driveway really packed well or are the stones loose on top?
Well, driveway is packed hard when its dry. It is "crusher run" which is stonedust, 1/2" and 3/4" bluestone mixed together. When you get wet snow, freeze, thaw, then snow, the skids will rut in. I was thinking of caster wheels and how to clamp them on the JD skids. Those darned skids aren't cheap so I wanted to avoid welding until I see how things workout!!!

Last year I plowed with the blade up an inch or so and the skids removed and finished off by backblading in the float position. Worked pretty well. I'm just toying with a lazy way to plow in the float position!!!

Mayor, when I win the Lotto, I'll have the $15k to blacktop the driveway!!! The price of oil has made blacktop close to $2.40 a sqft!!!
jsb2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 04:02 PM   post #7 of 23
Barbosa
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6174

Skids? What are those? My plow, I just use the actuator and set the height that way. Works great on my gravel drive.
Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 04:09 PM   post #8 of 23
06toro
First, do no harm.

MTF Member # 4595

I have same trouble. those ones in your pic look like large bowls with all thread welded to them, threw tab with couple nuts. Not much to get for 80 dollars, tax, and shipping. Take a shot at making yours your self.
Ps wife just said we could carpet the drive cheaper then asphalt.
06toro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 04:30 PM   post #9 of 23
jsb2b
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6894

06toro, Now that's some wife!!! Do they make grey astro-turf???

$80 is alot for those shoes and that's the price from Canada before the US dollar tanked.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:36 PM   post #10 of 23
Team_Green
Banned!

MTF Member # 7124

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb2b View Post
06toro, Now that's some wife!!! Do they make grey astro-turf???

$80 is alot for those shoes and that's the price from Canada before the US dollar tanked.
If you know someone with a 50 ton press you could make them yourself (the skids that is) very easy and cheap.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:45 PM   post #11 of 23
JDEERE_GREEN
John Deere Toys

MTF Member # 942

I mounted the rubber squeege on the bottom of my 54" blade and have used it for years on the 2210 and it does very little damage/digging into gravel, because I feel the rubber gives slightly as you move over the surface as opposed to a hard cutting edge.

Last edited by JDEERE_GREEN; 12-05-2007 at 04:45 PM. Reason: picture pasting
JDEERE_GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 08:18 PM   post #12 of 23
06toro
First, do no harm.

MTF Member # 4595

No need for press just big hammer or the wifes old pots, drill whole, stick bolt up from bottom with nut on inside. Turn over pound bolt held down bellow bowl edge. the rest will work it self out. good luck thanks for the idea
06toro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 11:54 PM   post #13 of 23
riderpride73
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 8314

Hi guys

I bought a 44" JD Blade for my LT166 last year, but bought a new x320 this year. I'd like to mount the blade on the x320 but I'm having trouble finding out what I need to mount this Blade on the x320. The kit for the LT166 (obviously) doesn't line up the same way on the x320 ;-)

Also, I think the transaxle is giving me problems on the LT166 as it loses power going up small inclines and I sometimes have to pump the gas to get it going. The engine seems to run fine and after the dealership put the wrong size belt on the mower initially, I finally got the mower going again. I'd like to get the LT166 going again, do you guys think it is worth trying to get the transaxle repaired or replaced? I can't say I have a lot of confidence in the dealership. When I brought it in this spring I mentioned that the steering wasn't working very well. They said it checked out fine, but a week later it went and I had to get the entire steering column replaced. That's when I bought the x320 -- my lawn couldn't wait the month it took to get that problem fixed! :-)

Any advice would be appreciated!

thanks

Mark
Old 12-06-2007, 02:30 AM   post #14 of 23
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

I always used Meyer plows on my plow trucks and they work much like the plows on our tractors. I borrowed a set of the "domed type" feet and still tore up gravel driveways. I had the welder at work add 6" wide 1/4" thick plate to the feet and extended the curve past the end of the front of the shoe. No more problems with half thawed gravel.

My 48" JD blade got a rubber edge for plowing this time of year though I never got to use it on gravel it doesn't tear lawn up "quite as bad". I'd sure go with wider feet though and if you find they "float" and leave too much snow you can cut some off the edges of the plates to let it sink further. The perfect width will depend on how much your blade weighs.
HydroHarold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 03:54 AM   post #15 of 23
Team_Green
Banned!

MTF Member # 7124

WElcome Riderpride, what part of SK are you in? these guys are a bunch of good folks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.