Case 222 info wanted - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 09-11-2007, 10:48 PM   post #1 of 11
Coop
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 4464
Default Case 222 info wanted

Hi Guys, I've never posted much over here, mostly hang out over at the Cub side, but I picked a Case 222 up tonight, don't know to much about it, the price was right, so I brought it home. It runs, moves, needs some work on the PTO, (it won't disengage), probably just an adjustment. What was the HP of these machines, I can't find the tag on the engine. It is a Kohler, looks to be about 14 HP? Heavy duty little tractor, they didn't scrimp on steel when they built it, which brings me to my other question, when were these made? Quessing late 70's early 80's?

Last edited by Coop; 11-26-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2007, 05:42 AM   post #2 of 11
Ingersoll444
ex spelling bee champ

MTF Member # 16
Default Re: Case 222 info wanted

They are great little tractors!!! the 222 was a 12hp Kohler single. Nice strong smoth motor! I picked one up last year as a parts tractor. I like how it runs so I fixed it up.

As for the year? get me the ser number and I can tell you, but by looking at it its a late 70's,

Visit The Case Ingersoll Colt Forum.

SUPER Of The Month 10/2011
Ingersoll444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 07:44 AM   post #3 of 11
Coop
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 4464

Paul...Here's the s/n: 9781889 I did the same thing, picked this up jujst because it was there and the price was right, after looking at it, I think I will fix it up and use it, looks like it is built to be used and can take a beating. The guy I got this from also has a 226, not in as good of shape, but he wants that gone too, I'm picking that up this weekend.

Coop
Old 09-12-2007, 08:13 AM   post #4 of 11
Ingersoll444
ex spelling bee champ

MTF Member # 16

Cool! Pretty much the same between the 222 and the 226. The '6 has a onon twin though. Personaly the single is a better motor IMHO.

Give me a bit on the ser # and I can get a year for you.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:19 AM   post #5 of 11
Ingersoll444
ex spelling bee champ

MTF Member # 16

OK, looks like it's a 1980.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:21 AM   post #6 of 11
fear1
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 3271

Looks like a 1980. I have a 76 444. Lets here a little about the beast you have pictured under your name there Coop.
fear1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 AM   post #7 of 11
fear1
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 3271

Dang, Paul beat me on the hole shot.
fear1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 09:44 AM   post #8 of 11
Caseguytoo
Banned!

MTF Member # 7029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Hi Guys, I've never posted much over here, mostly hang out over at the Cub side, but I picked a Case 222 up tonight, don't know to much about it, the price was right, so I brought it home. It runs, moves, needs some work on the PTO, (it won't disengage), probably just an adjustment. What was the HP of these machines, I can't find the tag on the engine. It is a Kohler, looks to be about 14 HP? Heavy duty little tractor, they didn't scrimp on steel when they built it, which brings me to my other question, when were these made? Quessing late 70's early 80's?

As two others have already stated, your machine is a 1980 model and it is 12 hp. The last digit of the model number co-incides with the last digit for hp. A 220 is 10 hp, a 224 would be 14 hp and a 226 would be 16 hp. The tractor line began in 1962 as a Colt brand. J. I. Case bought up Colt and put their name on it. In 1982, Case sold the line to John Ingersoll. From 1983 to 1988 the tractors were called Case/Ingersoll's and then the Case name was permanently dropped as the transition period was over. From that point on they were known as Ingersoll's and the brand is alive and well today.

Unfortunately for you, the original purchaser of this tractor went with the mechanical lift for the attachments instead of the optional hydraulic lift. However, the good news is that you could remedy that problem by finding a cheap donor tractor (200 or 400 series) to rob the parts from but it does entail a fair bit of work unless you make this changover during the course of a ground-up restoration. No welding or drilling...... just unbolt and rebolt.

With respect to the PTO clutch, I have the following bit of advice. Your tractor should have the EZ-Adjust clutch in it. Parts are readily available for it but you need to know that this is a $500.00 plus item to buy new. Therefore, you should do yourself a huge favour and obtain a few things in advance of trying to adjust it.

casegardentractors.com is an on-line dealership that can sell you the operator's manual and parts manual that is specific to the serial number of your tractor for about thirty bucks. If your clutch disc is badly worn, or you need a shim kit for that clutch, then they can sell you those too. The large adjuster nut located just behind the fan is a cast item and easily broken by the use of Channelock pliers. It is best to obtain an open end wrench for this task. Sometimes, when the disc is worn too much, you need to swap some shims around in order to compensate for that wear.

In order to do that, you need to disconnect the wire going to the headlamps, pull the hood hinge pin and remove the hood. The bolts holding the cooler brackets to the frame must be removed to allow you to swing the cooler to one side. You can then remove the bolt that holds the plastic cooling fan in place. At this point, the large nut can be removed to access the complete clutch.

If it was me doing the job, I would want to carefully examine the three bearing races to see if they roll smoothly and noiselessly. If they don't, then now is the time to replace them. If they do, then consider the possibility of carefully removing the seals, washing the bearings clean and then repacking them with fresh grease. Bearings fail due to lack of lubrication and from contamination of the grease.

The manuals will give you instructions on how to adjust the clutch and exploded diagrams showing how the clutch goes together. Pay particular attention to the main shaft that the clutch parts ride on. If this is badly worn, then your clutch will not work smoothly and getting it adjusted properly will be difficult.

The point I am trying to make is this. Your tractor is 27 years old and there is no way to know how many hours are on it and whether the clutch is original or relatively new without taking it apart and examining it. A good working clutch is crucial to the enjoyment this machine can bring to you and badly working clutches are a constant source of complaints from owners who fail to understand that a clutch is a "wear part" that doesn't last forever.

Very little else goes wrong with these machines so take the time to deal with the clutch now in a thorough manner and you will be alot happier with your new acquisition than you will be if you try to get by with just a simple adjustment. Something is wrong and I suggest that you get to the bottom of it immediately.
Caseguytoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 09:49 AM   post #9 of 11
Coop
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 4464

Hi guys.....Thanks for the info, I will be tearing it down soon to fix the clutch. I am a small engine mechanic by trade, so it will be something I should be able to do .

fear1...Here is a link to a discussion about my articulated tractor in the homemade section of the forum: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=38920 Don't want to take this to far off topic...

Coop
Old 09-16-2007, 03:32 AM   post #10 of 11
Vmax
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 7188

I have a 72 222. they are great little tractors, and easy to work on. Speed wise, they are pretty fast. Mine runs faster than you really would want to drive the sucker. If you want to be cute, you can put an Accell Supercoil on it like I did

Sears GT/18, Case Ingersoll 444 Ford LGT 100, JD 110, JD 112,JD 216,JD 318, Simplicity Sunstar, Simplicity 3014 w/tiller plow blade, sicklebar, Ariens S-12h,Gravely 816T, Deutz-Allis 1920 Ultima (2)
Vmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2007, 09:24 AM   post #11 of 11
Freightliner Man
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 4067

It looks to me like you may be spending some time over this way, on the case side that is !! And a welcome here to you. I saw what you did with the Cubs and i know you will have no problems with Cases. We enjoy ours to just ride around (the kids) and when it comes to work we use them hard and they love it ! At this point my advice to you would be to obtain the manuals and you'll love that case like no other!
2003 Harley FLSTC
2005 Ford F250
Freightliner Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.