Welcome the Cicada Killer Wasp - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 07-30-2007, 09:48 PM   post #1 of 7
TheHUTMan
MTF Member

MTF Member # 5394
Default Welcome the Cicada Killer Wasp

Well, it's time for the annual invasion of my yard by the Cicada Killer Wasps. These not-so-little buggers are quite large wasps, that burrow into the ground and make a very large half-moon shaped wedge-pile of dirt all over the back 1/4 of my lawn. I've seen probably about 30 of them buzzing low over the lawn.

Thankfully, these things aren't aggressive. They seem more concerned with chasing each other off than dealing with humans. I've mowed straight through "nest alley" and haven't ever been stung. I've tried killing them all with all sorts of means, but it doesn't seem like it helps much. They just keep coming back, so I've sort of learned to live with their annual arrival around the end of July through about mid August. My only worry would be my 4 kids running around the yard and stepping on one -- tho they seem to know to keep back. These guys are large, you can't miss them.

Anyone else deal with these? They can be "interesting" to watch, especially if they are carrying around a large cicada! A good site for more info on these I found here.
TheHUTMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2007, 09:58 PM   post #2 of 7
Byron R
Branded for LIFE !!!

MTF Member # 505
Default Re: Welcome the Cicada Killer Wasp

I have never heard of them..If they help on the cicada invasion..I will never kill one...WAWAWAWAWAWAWA..the cicatas drive me nuts...B.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:01 PM   post #3 of 7
TheHUTMan
MTF Member

MTF Member # 5394

The 17 year cycle cicada's here already came and gone here. Unfortunately, they come out before the wasps, so those buggers were driving me CRAZY

Now were into the normal annual cicada group. Not nearly annoying, but enough to actually feel glad to seem them pulled into their shallow grave. The wasps don't seem to make a large dent, but at least it's something.
TheHUTMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2007, 10:38 PM   post #4 of 7
pigsitter
the "AWOL member"

MTF Member # 1020

I saw my first one a year or two ago,it was quite unnerving at first due to their size but after learning what they were and that they weren't a threat to humans we learned to let them go about their business.If you think the cicadas are normally noisy wait til you here one scream when picked up by one of those wasps!!!

My favorite song

proud to be a member since 2005 and aggravating Ken in NJ since sometime shortly thereafter

Uh Oh! someone left the gate open, pig's gone walkabout again!!

Where is everybody?
pigsitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2007, 12:24 AM   post #5 of 7
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

Cicadas? I hear them 24/7/365yr... "tinnitus". The real ones are a refreshing change of pitch though.

Isn't it interesting that the cicada killer wasp is almost the same color of a 17 year cicada... sort of an animal world "na na, na, naaa naaa"!
HydroHarold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2007, 07:44 AM   post #6 of 7
Edward
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:

MTF Member # 4340

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHUTMan View Post

Anyone else deal with these? They can be "interesting" to watch, especially if they are carrying around a large cicada! A good site for more info on these I found here.
I get them, our season for them is over. I called them Banana Bees at first before I knew what they were because they burrowed by the banana trees.
There is a thread on this forum on here about cicadas and they got mention in there, too.

You're right; they are BIG but not too aggressive, can mow right thru them but they dont like getting water on them. Malathion kills them but they eat bugs. You can tell when theyre gone - the cicadas are louder!!

A few yrs ago one of my little girls got stung by one and it wasn't good at all. I have been hit by them but not stung directly. Pretty amazing to see them flying off with a cicada bigger than them
Edward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2007, 07:59 AM   post #7 of 7
BrianM1a
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 939
Default Two types of Cicadas Dog and Periodical

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2137.html
BrianM1a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.