Valspar Tractor & Implement Enamel - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Mechanical, Paint & Restorations Projects, restores, rebuilds? talk about them here

Old 07-08-2007, 12:28 PM   post #1 of 20
Dagwood1959
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 3236
Default Valspar Tractor & Implement Enamel

Anyone ever use that brand of paint? I was over at the Tractor Supply Store and saw that they had Valspar Tractor & Implement Enamel for sale. 1 Gallon for about 22 dollars. They also sell the hardner for 11 dollars. The directions say that it has to be mixed for 30 min before use. The compatible primer is about 4 dollars a can gray or red. I think I can apply this paint with a brush.
Dagwood1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 02:01 PM   post #2 of 20
mark777
Administrator

MTF Member # 252
Default Re: Valspar Tractor & Implement Enamel

Use it often Dag.

Good stuff, maybe even the best bargain for money available. Their hardener works very well too. Cuts drying time down to 50% or 4 hours to touch (at 72).

I sprayed, rolled and brushed it on, and it does what it says it will. It WILL fade on tractors and equipment that are exposed to the elements...but it is tough, chip resistant, and when applied properly, withstands power washing without lifting.

My ONLY beef with the company (Valspar) is they do not make a clear coat, nor is any other companies clear coat compatible. Which IMO, would make the product last much longer (5-6 years instead of 2-3) when exposed to weather.

Mark
mark777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2007, 02:47 PM   post #3 of 20
Dagwood1959
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 3236

Great Mark...Then I know what primer, paint, and hardener to buy now. I will be brushing it on. With any luck I will paint the engine in a week. I'm hoping the will humidity drop. I think I will paint in the morning when the temperature is about 75 and let the heat of the day dry it out. Thanks again.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:03 PM   post #4 of 20
mark777
Administrator

MTF Member # 252

Dag, If you use Naptha instead of thinner (or mineral spirits) it will flash of quicker (especially when you add hardener).

If you use denatured alcohol as 'final wash' before prime and paint it reduces any trapped moisture to 100%. Many of us around here combat humidity from prepared surfaces ready for prime and paint. I use it on both and it does work well.

Good luck and can't wait to see pic's ,

Mark
Old 07-08-2007, 08:26 PM   post #5 of 20
Dagwood1959
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 3236

If I am going to use a brush will I have to use thinner? I will be giving it a bath in alcohol just prior to painting. Another great tip. Today I found more dirt on the front of the engine so I will get all of that off before going to paint prep. I also found a problem with two of the fasteners for the exhaust and intake manifold. I will have to solve that problem as well. I didn't want to take the manifold off. Now it looks like the only way to fix it is to remove it. One of the studs looks galled.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:25 PM   post #6 of 20
mark777
Administrator

MTF Member # 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood1959 View Post
If I am going to use a brush will I have to use thinner? I will be giving it a bath in alcohol just prior to painting. Another great tip. Today I found more dirt on the front of the engine so I will get all of that off before going to paint prep. ....
I think you'll be surprised to find that it is a high solids enamel, or heavy viscosity (very thick). If you're using the hardener it will dilute the paint considerably.. You can use the hardener in the primer as well. The Naptha, which is a thinner that reduces well but evaporates much faster (than mineral spirits/thinner) will help in combination with the hardener.....neither are absolutely essential to make the paint look nice....just cure faster.

w/o hardener/naptha - dry to touch in 12-18 hours
w/o thinner/naptha - dry to touch in 8 hours
with both + paint - dry to touch 2-4 hours

Mark
Old 05-16-2008, 11:02 AM   post #7 of 20
Dude11
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 8852

Got a question,I have used this (Valspar)with good results in the past,BUT,I shot some silver over 3days ago and also some black.The black dried great.But the silver,different story.You can rub your finger across it and get the shiney on it?? Everything was shook,stirred and shaked while sprayed.What gives?I did notice that it really didn't "gloss over"as normal paint will after finshed.Any ideas?
Old 05-16-2008, 12:07 PM   post #8 of 20
mark777
Administrator

MTF Member # 252

I don't recall ever having any problems with the silver BPS. It does sound as though something happened to prevent the catalyst from curing the 'vehicle', or clear solids commonly found in silver (or metallics).

If you can still read the lot #'s on the bottom of the can...or have any left, I would take it back to TSC and check the same color and batch or lot numbers to see if it's old or out of production.

Usually it's the painters fault, but if you follow the same preperation and technique, then it's not uncommon for chemical failure to happen...especially if the paint is old (many have a shelf lilfe of 12-18 months) or was missed wihen the rep came in to rotate the stock.

Are you using 'BPS' or 'Restoration Series' valspar ??
Old 05-16-2008, 02:25 PM   post #9 of 20
Mrwiggles2
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 495

Dag, I restored my Wheel Horse 416 with it last year. Just restored the deck last weekend with it- cans. Its great stuff. I don't know how well it brushes on never did that.

I sprayed it and boy was it thick- needed serious thinning. I used Naptha as well. The hardener produces a real glossy coat, that I liked. Looked much more original, had a powder coated look to it. I used a Rustoleum brownish red primer, then put on the Valspar. Came out great. Use a lot of primer, and coat it good. You'll use less paint.

You Tube Channel Link Below. Videos on my tractors, how-to and just good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrwiggles2?feature=mhee

1989 Wheel Horse 416-8 16hp Onan

1989 Wheel Horse 520-H 20hp Onan
Mrwiggles2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 02:35 PM   post #10 of 20
Wingnut
Once was a Super Member

MTF Member # 75

I really like it; I used it on my Farmall F-12

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong, because someday in life you will have been all of these.

Lose money while restoring a Farmall F-12 let me show you how!

CLICK HERE
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 04:18 PM   post #11 of 20
Small Fry
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8155

I used it, better with the hardner but works either way. Like wiggle's said shinny, also it's a harder, longer lasting finish, also drys quicker like mark metioned. Just remember if you use the hardner, after 8 hrs is no longer any good. So only mix what your going to use.

Depending on the finish color, I also used there (gal) Red Oxide Primer , or the Buff primer they have.

I think brushing it might be better with mineral spirits/thinner because of the working time. I think the can says that. I might even leave out the hardner. The quicker it dry's the harder it is to make it look good with a brush.

The trick to brushing is to get it on so its all wet, quick, and leave it alone. The brush marks will flow out, but if you back brush to much it leave's brush marks because the paint started to set up.

Dude

Silver will do that, You really have to keep shaking silver the whole time your spraying. Even silver rattle can paint will do that. Keep shaking and leave it good and wet looking.
Small Fry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 07:59 PM   post #12 of 20
Dude11
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 8852

It is BPS,and I shook the gun all the way thru the paint job.I saw what it looked like in the can and figured I'd better!!I cked it today and it's not as bad.We have had some rain I guess with the humity it will totally cure in time.The bad part is I just hate like **** to have to retape,wet sand and do it all again!I would not recommend using silver,I have not had any trouble using any other color they stock.I had worried about this way before I even started with the silver.I have much better luck with a "straight"color.Anything that looks like oil on water after it's stirred has got be a bear to shoot.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:40 PM   post #13 of 20
Small Fry
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude11 View Post
It is BPS,and I shook the gun all the way thru the paint job.I saw what it looked like in the can and figured I'd better!!I cked it today and it's not as bad.We have had some rain I guess with the humity it will totally cure in time.The bad part is I just hate like **** to have to retape,wet sand and do it all again!I would not recommend using silver,I have not had any trouble using any other color they stock.I had worried about this way before I even started with the silver.I have much better luck with a "straight"color.Anything that looks like oil on water after it's stirred has got be a bear to shoot.
At this point with the silver, you could whipe it down with a rag to remove the loose stuff and shoot with clear made for oil base. Even a rattle can of clear would work long as its for oil base.
Small Fry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 09:53 PM   post #14 of 20
mark777
Administrator

MTF Member # 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Fry View Post
At this point with the silver, you could whipe it down with a rag to remove the loose stuff and shoot with clear made for oil base. Even a rattle can of clear would work long as its for oil base.
I have never found a clear that is compatible with oil base paints. I've even talked with the chemists at Valspar and they do not have, or can recommend a suitable clear that will adhere to their BPS or Restoration Series paint products.

I read that PPG's 'Durathane' clears is compatible with every paint available. I then talked with my PPG rep and he said "No...not for oil based or synthetic enamels". So....if anyone has a known catalyzed clear coat that will permanently stick to oil base and enhance the durability and shine - Please let me know .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2008, 10:19 PM   post #15 of 20
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

I've not used Valspar,but nearly ALL silver or "aluminum" paints like Rustoleum will rub off on skin and clothes after it's dry..the "chrome" spray paints do this as well..just the nature of the beast,it has so much mettallic dust in it's pigment,it kind of "chalks" like house paint does..

I like using Aluminum Rustoleum on rusted steel you cant do a great job of prepping,or dont care too,like on fence posts and chain link fence--it will repel new rust better than any other color or paint,period..I have slathered it on with a brush on rusty pipes I used for fence posts,without even sanding them at all,and it has taken 15 years for the rust to come back through!..

It also works great for an undercoat on plywood or boards on a building,campers,etc..seals the pores and wont let water intrude..

I notice where I used some on my garage endwall it has not peeled or lifted at all,but all the white paint is hanging off and flaking badly where I didn't use Aluminum paint under the topcoat...I might just paint it all with Aluminum and LEAVE it aluminum,but I'll have to be careful not to brush up against the garage or I'll have silver clothes..

I used to mix automotive paints,Dupont had a clear coat for straight enamel,as well as hardener,but I suppose they have banned it by now or no longer make it..Dulux was the name for their "allklyd enamel" back then (1980's and 90's)--I think the clear was #900S,and the hardener was #77S....but since I've been out of that buissness,they have outlawed laquer completely,and have also eliminated or changed many of the other paints as well..

Acrylic Enamel like Centari was the state of the art back then--now they have polyurethane,and some paints are more like resin than paint,like Glasurit and some of the new basecoat clearcoats..some are water base too,have been for nearly 20 years!..the "farm store" is about the only place that sells regular enamel pretty much around here now,or hardware stores..
Rustoleum is the best seller here,I have seen Valspar in Lowes and other discount stores,but not the tractor enamel,just regular house hold paints..

Robert
Tractor-Holic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.