What is your opinion? Water in tractor tires? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

The Barn General discussion of Full size tractors and accessories

Old 06-11-2007, 01:06 PM   post #1 of 22
fwinters
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 5097
Default What is your opinion? Water in tractor tires?

I had a guy stop by the house to buy some hay and he asked if I had water in my tractor tires. I do not. He said that I should put about a gallon of antifreeze and then fill the tires with about water/air mixture. He said that the tractor would handle a lot better. What is your opinion? What are the advantages or disadvantages of doing this? Have you done it and why? If you have not done it then why not? Thanks.
fwinters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2007, 02:55 PM   post #2 of 22
raytasch
Old Guy With Old Toys

MTF Member # 4585
Default Re: What is your opinion? Water in tractor tires?

I would say 'loading or not loading' the tires would be on an as needed basis. Same as running wheel weights, you need them or don't need them. Do you do a lot of ground engaging such as plowing, pulling a blade or scoop, then you probably need to load your tires. If you have a FEL you need loaded tires and / or weights. Again, it comes down to what you are using the tractor for.........Pulling a mower, probably not although there may be exceptions. HTH
Edit:
My Deere has loaded tires, FEL tractor
My Jub, 850 are not loaded. Tires on the 850 have been loaded before.
You can pick the tool up to load the tires at TS or most any co-op
ray

Ford Jubilee-- restored, pulls a finish mower once in a while
Ford 850 -- the workhorse--does it all
IH CC 122--semi retired-awaiting restoration
JD 4300HST FWDA W/Loader--- another workhorse
Sears DGS6500
raytasch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2007, 02:59 PM   post #3 of 22
Steve (Magnolia, TX)
Retired - Veteran Mod

MTF Member # 251
Garage

I just put new (12.4 x 28) tires on my 8N, last year... and I had them loaded. Down here, I can get by with straight water.
I do some ground engaging (disk and dirt scoop) along with cutting (and raking) hay. I'd rather have them loaded than not, for me. Now if I spent a lot of time in the yard with the tractor... that might be a different story...
Steve (Magnolia, TX) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2007, 05:06 PM   post #4 of 22
Carl
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 249

You can put water in the tires as long as they won't freeze. If they freeze solid they make for an interesting bumpy ride. I don't think that it will hurt anything even if it freezes. Had mine freeze (not enough chloride in the water), didn't hurt anything.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:24 PM   post #5 of 22
JDFANATIC
9K+ Poster

MTF Member # 41
Garage

Water is cheap, but other formulations have higher densities so therefore add more weight.

JDFANATIC
JD2210, loaded tires, 62C MMM, 210 Loader, 47" Snowblower, York Rake, PTO Spreader, Heated Cab, JD Plug Aerator, FIMCO Sprayer, Wheel Spacers, FEMCO Folding ROPS, JD Cart, Stihl MS170 and HT101, Wallenstein BX32 PTO Chipper
JDFANATIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2007, 10:03 PM   post #6 of 22
Drawbar
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 2728

Personally I cannot think of one good reason NOT to load your tires with cost taking out of the equation. I am not sure I agree with the guy that told you how to load them. I think that is a bit privative and might spell disaster down the road, but I would definitely load tires on any tractor used for anything more than just mowing a lawn.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:23 PM   post #7 of 22
parts man
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 9

Rule of thumb for loading tires is to fill with fluid so it covers the top of the rim.

Need parts? Check out
parts man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2007, 07:03 AM   post #8 of 22
fwinters
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 5097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawbar View Post
Personally I am not sure I agree with the guy that told you how to load them. I think that is a bit privative and might spell disaster down the road.
Drawbar, can you explain the comment about being a bit primative and why that would cause disaster down the road. I missed something becaue I do not know how to load the tires in the first place. He said to fill the tires with water with the valve stem at about ten oclock and then the rest with air. I think I have to get a tool from Tractor Supply, but I don't want to make the situation worse by loading the tires incorrectly. Thanks.
fwinters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2007, 10:31 AM   post #9 of 22
Steve (Magnolia, TX)
Retired - Veteran Mod

MTF Member # 251
Garage

Down here, another benefit of loading with straight water;
My local tire shop didn't charge me ANYTHING to load them. Of course, I did buy the new tires/tubes there and had them mount them.

I agree with Parts Mans' comment about covering the rim (put the valve stem at 12:00 and just use gravity to fill the tire, not pressure... you'll have to stop to let the air out occasionally). Top it off with air... to give your tires their operating pressure (about 12 pounds).

In response to JDFANATIC's comment;
Yes, most other formulations (i.e. calcium chloride, or RimGuard {sugar beets}) are heavier, but... the anti-freeze that this guy was referring to is actually lighter than water... I don't know how much lighter, you might only be loosing one or two pounds per tire...
Steve (Magnolia, TX) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2007, 10:47 PM   post #10 of 22
jda1961
MTF Member

MTF Member # 3554

load your tires with calcium or anything of that nature, but don't just put one gallion of anti freeze then the rest plain water, it will freeze and if it freezes and thaws enough times it will bust your rims, i know from experience. don't take short cuts to save a lil cash now, in the long run it will cost you plenty. i have 55 gallions of calcium chloride in each of my rear tires. there's a guy that will come to my farm and mix it up and pump it in my tires, for around 1.25 a gallion. thats not bad at all.
jda1961 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2007, 07:49 AM   post #11 of 22
mwood
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6111

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda1961 View Post
load your tires with calcium or anything of that nature, but don't just put one gallion of anti freeze then the rest plain water, it will freeze and if it freezes and thaws enough times it will bust your rims, i know from experience. don't take short cuts to save a lil cash now, in the long run it will cost you plenty. i have 55 gallions of calcium chloride in each of my rear tires. there's a guy that will come to my farm and mix it up and pump it in my tires, for around 1.25 a gallion. thats not bad at all.
Good advice there. Always better to do it right the first time. Cheaper too...

13.5 Acres in Upstate NY -- [John Deere LA130 w/ 48" deck] [John Deere 216 w/ 46" deck, front blade & snowblower (In need of engine work)] [Husqavarna 323L string trimmer w/ brush blade] [Echo PB-251 Leaf Blower] [Husky (MTD) 21" push mower] [Bolens 6.5 HP Front Tine Tiller] [Agri-Fab poly dump cart, de-thatcher & lawn sweeper]
mwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 10:43 PM   post #12 of 22
RDR
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 4731

Personally I would not load a tire that doesn't have a tube in it. I can't bear the thought of having something corrosive touching the rim.

Down here I use water. Only one time I know of people had their tires freeze. One farmer lost four tires by driving them frozen. The ice broke up and cut the tires to shreds. When in doubt, don't move the tractor.

If you have the tires with the small diameter rim and big baloney tires, loading them will stop the tractor from rocking and rolling, making it more stable. We had an 1135 massey ferguson with a cab that would rock you to sleep until I loaded the tires.

I put the valve stem at the top, let the air out and put the adapter on the water hose and pump it up, unhook the hose, let the air out and repeat until the water is at the valve stem level. I've done this with tires from 12.4X24 to 23.1X34. For 23 years there have been no problems.

I'm curious about the effect of anti-freeze to the tire or tube rubber?
RDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007, 01:20 PM   post #13 of 22
KickAzz89chev
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 6845

dont use antifreeze, use calcium carbonate for ballast.
KickAzz89chev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007, 03:55 PM   post #14 of 22
grnspot110
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 4515
Garage

I prefer cast iron, doesn't rust out the rims!

grnspot
grnspot110 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2007, 06:29 PM   post #15 of 22
ben_specter@yahoo.com
Union Carpenter

MTF Member # 6367

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda1961 View Post
Any of the calcium solutions should be fine... They don't freeze or rust the rim but more than that they are heavier per gallon than water. Where I am at it runs about 75 bucks a set to get them done.

Just to pitch my 2 cents in I say don't load them unless you are using and I mean really using a fel. I never cared for the added strain on the engine.
ben_specter@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.