Used Honda 4514 - Buy or not? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
NY Rob
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 5864
Default Used Honda 4514 - Buy or not?

Need some help and advice. I am new to this website but think it is a perfect place for what I am looking for. I am considering buying a used 1993 Honda 4514 with bagger. It is priced at $800 and runs well and supposedly needs no repair. What should do here or look for? Is it priced fair? Should I pass because service will be difficult or parts hard to find? Here is a picture, looks nice and well maintained.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6933_1.jpg
Views:	1013
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	22033  
NY Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
Ingersoll444
ex spelling bee champ

MTF Member # 16
Default Re: Used Honda 4514 - Buy or not?

Welcome to MTF NY Rob!!!!

From what I hear they are a very well built tractor, and that sure sounds like a good price. Not sure about parts though

Visit The Case Ingersoll Colt Forum.

SUPER Of The Month 10/2011
Ingersoll444 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
Tmo
Formerly treed

MTF Member # 89

Honda got out of the lawn tractor business a few years ago, but still build lawn mowers. As for their lawn tractors, they're top notch with excellent engines. The price, to me, doesn't sound bad at all. The achilles heel here would be parts, I think. If you can find a good parts source and have a good place or a guy to make repairs when they come up, then I wouldn't hestitate - buy it.
Tmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2007, 11:01 AM   #4
NY Rob
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 5864

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I think the local honda dealer here still services the lawn tractors, I am sure they will hit me in the wallet too. I am handy but by no means a mechanic. I can change belts, oil, plugs, etc. but beyond that I need a pro. Anything I be on the lookout for or need to check? I am going to see it in person this weekend. Obviously, if its spewing black smoke or leaking oil, I probably want to pass buying it.....right?
NY Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2007, 09:34 AM   #5
2tractors
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 4606

I just got one a few months ago from my local dealer, a consignment sale from a local person, it is a sweet machine, it was in excellent condition like yours, remember it is a honda: well built though out engineering, cuts great, without the mower on you cannot even hear the it running from 10ft away. The only thing to be concern about that you have to keep a eye on the radiator screen it will collect grass so you will have to keep it clear, next is try to remember to keep the carborator on the upslope side if you are cutting sideways on a small incline the dealer tech said being a honda eng sometime oil will flow down hill into the exhust but only if over fill with oil. And on top of that it is a shaft drive. I paid 750$ for mine. I did buy a spare set of belts that cost 130$ for two.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
foxhill
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 14036
Wink Re: Used Honda 4514 - Buy or not?

I recently got a Honda riding mower ,model H4514 with engine problems. I have found that parts are really expensive, so now I am trying to deside whether to buy parts and fix it or to part out the rest of the mower. Does anyone have a motor for sale?? Hal
foxhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
inchman
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 28365

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhill View Post
I recently got a Honda riding mower ,model H4514 with engine problems. I have found that parts are really expensive, so now I am trying to deside whether to buy parts and fix it or to part out the rest of the mower. Does anyone have a motor for sale?? Hal
I just listed one on ebay for $200 (the whole mower.) It might need some work as it still smokes, but for the price, you get the whole mower.

Here is the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270411604452
inchman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
larryccf
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 28340

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchman View Post
I just listed one on ebay for $200 (the whole mower.) It might need some work as it still smokes, but for the price, you get the whole mower.

Here is the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270411604452
i saw that listing and it is a nice one - unfortunately i've decided to stay with my 3813 - actually just bought a spare complete one to use for parts -

i would love to compare a 4514 and 3813/4213 side by side - when i studied the photos on your 4514 it confirmed a lot of what i suspected. From the photos, It appears they're the same frame/chassis with minor differences. Obviously the shift gate, but that's a changeable component on both our tractors. I noticed the carb intake's been changed with a cast aluminum breather as opposed to mine with a rubber hose going down (way down) under the exhaust manifold - i only notice that as i'm getting ready to replace mine (with all the rubber being 20 years+ old, figure it's better to replace it before it puts the mower out of service. The engine appears to be the same block & cyl at 359cc, so they probably used a higher profile cam for that extra pony.

you've got a nice looking machine for sale - really clean condition - i'll be watching to see what it goes for but i wouldn't be surprised if it goes north of $1000. good luck with the sale

NY Rob - honda built these things like they do the Accord, extremely well engineered and they'll take more abuse than you might think. Not a lot breaks but when something does, it can be terribly expensive - go to Inchman's ebay listing and view the service tickets he posted there, for an example. If you're willing to maintain it yourself, you'll be way ahead of the game. If you plan on using the dealer for maintenance, it is going to be an expensive tractor. That said, that price you stated, if its for the one you pictured, is a great deal, especially if it includes that leaf/grass cart which will be especially useful in the fall. I've been watching them pretty close on ebay for about six weeks now. The 3813s, in extremely clean condition seem to approach $800+, good condition about $600. Seen a couple of real clean 4514s iirc, that sold $950 and $1200, and some nice 4518s, in the $1250 - 1500 range.

You will not believe how nice they perform, run etc, compared to most other lawn tractors. I can't speak for the 4514's deck, but doubt it's any different than my 3813- it will pickup gravel it has so much lift with the standard blades, and that's basically the reason it fills the grass hoppers so well, it moves a lot of air, a lot.

i've had my 3813 since 1990, and have performed all my own maintenance, which still wasn't that much beyond oil & filter changes.

you'd do well to get your hands on a svc manual for it, they can be hand from plano power, or even honda itself and will answer a lot of questions that will crop up. You might also ask the owner for the svc history on that tractor, especially ask if the timing belt has been changed recently or ever. If not, you might want to plan on doing it - they need replacement on cars every 60,000 but on these tractors, i'd think 10 -12 years would be the recommended replacement mark. If a belt breaks while the engine is running, that can ruin the engine as pistons will be going up trying to occupy the same space occurpied by exh and intake valves at the same time. That can ruin a day

good luck with your tractor, which ever you buy

Last edited by larryccf; 06-19-2009 at 04:24 PM.
larryccf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
James F Crum
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 33775

It looks to be in very good condition and with bagger system not such a bad deal. However you should be away that the rectifiers and unit fuel control parts are no longer available for these models and although they are the best build tractor mowers on the market (in my opinion) you may end up with one like I did in great shape with no ability to replace or fix the electrical components to keep it running. The unit fuel controller opens and closes the solenoid on the carburetor ever 9 seconds to regulate the fuel flow. It is also connected to and works in conjunction with the other system components that control the safety features that shut the engine down if you fall off, etc. When the unit fuel controller stops working, some have filed down the solenoid pin enough to allow the fuel to flow through to allow it to keep it running. I'm not sure if everyone understands this will compromise the safety features of the mower though. It's a tough call.

P.S. If anyone has a used Unit Fuel Controller Part Number 34700-758-003 I'm in the market for one!

Last edited by James F Crum; 10-24-2009 at 10:31 AM. Reason: I see the intial posted long ago so I'm a bit late! LOL
James F Crum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #10
larryccf
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 28340

fyi - the rectifiers are same as used on a number of other lawn tractors - same three lead connection, and 20 amp rating

and i suspect, someone with elec smarts, could probably source one from radio shack or electrical supply house for $10 - 12
Old 10-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
FrankMA
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 10550

The original post is from May 2007.

Honda HS928TA Snowblower
Honda HS621AS Snowthrower
Honda HS520A Snowthrower
Honda HS624WA Snowblower (Sold 8/23/2010)
Honda EM6500SX Generator
Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower
McCulloch MS1635 Chainsaw
Weedeater SST25 Line Trimmer

"It is what it is!"
FrankMA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #12
rogerb
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 32376

My 3813 did not have the fuel control module or the solenoid so what would be the "penalty" of eliminating those "saftey features" ? So, it looks like the carb float valve is strong enough to hold back the fuel pump's pressure and allow normal operation. Falling off the seat, engaged blades,etc is a function of saftey switches.

Oh yes, the 4514's deck is far superior to the 3813's. I have both.
rogerb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 07:23 AM   #13
Gary Bowen
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 36198

I need directions on how to attach the oem plow with subframe to my 4514 ?
Gary Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #14
larryccf
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 28340

here's a link to the snow plow for the 3810 (it's the same for my 3813 and suspect if not the same for yours, pretty close - should give you some good info from the parts schematics - you'll see two link selection, one for the lever and one for the plow http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ho...JPN/parts.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #15
Dave4514
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 22892

Gary Bowen, here is the Honda Operator's Manual to connect the front quick hitch to the 4514. Some of the steps are not obvious but it will fit after you get everything lined up.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...s/31QH4000.pdf

The product manuals for most of the Honda equipment and accessories can be found and downloaded for free from this site:

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/manuals/

It would be great if it could become a sticky to help out others. The Honda product line of tractors are becoming obsolete and information is getting hard to obtain also.

Last edited by Dave4514; 12-15-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Dave4514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.