Upside Down Shoulder Holster for Snubbie Revolvers - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Shooting sports If it shoots, and it can be used in any sort of a sport... lets discuss it here....

Old 03-27-2007, 12:57 AM   post #1 of 10
Bountyhunter
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 1091
Help Upside Down Shoulder Holster for Snubbie Revolvers

I'm hoping to pick up a used Taurus Model 905 5-shot "snubbie" revolver in 9mm soon.

Many years ago I used to have a .38 snubbie with an upside down holster for it.

It was the most concealable shoulder holster I ever owned and I would like to find another one. The straight out draw from the upside down holster is faster than even the new horizontal draw holsters.

It held the revolver in place with an elastic system and a leather "hook" built into the holster that partially wrapped around the trigger guard.

I know K.L. Null makes new upside down holsters with the new polymer materials.

I would really like to find one in leather which used to be made by either Bianchi, Bucheimer, Alessi, Galco, or Safariland. None of them makes the upside down holster now.

I have an excellent Bucheimer lead filled, flat spring handled sap that I would be willing to "horse trade" for it.

I know a large percentage of you posters are from Texas and would hope that the large volume of gun ownership out there might find one of you with an upside down holster you would be willing to get rid of.

Bountyhunter
Bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2007, 08:18 PM   post #2 of 10
Bountyhunter
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 1091
Default Re: Upside Down Shoulder Holster for Snubbie Revolvers

Bump!

Still looking!

Bountyhunter
Old 06-11-2007, 01:54 AM   post #3 of 10
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

BH, looks like you are facing some custom leather work soon. Have you ever adapted a leather holster for custom fit? It's not too hard of you find one that fits very nearly to your gun model. I've been looking for a new holster for my SW 4013 and never saw any upside down models for anything in my holster site travels. (I'm headed towards a Galco "FLETCH") In a custom job you're biggest job will be fitting the straps and adjusters to carry right.

On the holster subject, I just scored a re-pro holster to complete my WWII "Victory Model" SW. Found the lanyard swivel and pin at Numerich Arms and the holster at Cabela's. This is one cool gun, Serial # in the low 18K's and they made more than 750K Victorys and only 30K for Britain. Mine's all British proofed and in cal. 38 S&W (or 30-200 in Brit cal.)

BTW, why the "Bull" and not a Ruger "Eagle" (SP101)? The SP's my next on the list, the 3 1/16" barrel in stainless.
HydroHarold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2007, 07:13 PM   post #4 of 10
Bountyhunter
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 1091

HydroHarold:

The "upside down" holster was popular back in the "50's" and "60's" and the one I had carried a 5 shot Charter Arms "Undercover" in 38 special caliber. I had one of the first Charter Arms revolvers when quality of construction was a matter of pride. The exterior finish was not S&W or Colt quality, but I consistently outshot police detectives that were carrying Colt and S&W "snubbies" and they also shot better targets with my Charter Arms "Undercover" than they did with their own "snubbies".

All of the holster makers started abandoning the "upside down" style because of liability concerns as more and more "pistolero's" began "tricking" their revolvers with lightweight trigger pulls, cutaway trigger guards, and quick draw practice.

If you can imagine accidentally pulling the trigger with the pistol pointing into your armpit, you can understand the liability concerns of the holster manufacturers.

Like I said, K.L. Null makes an "upside down" holster for snubbies as well as a model with a hole in the barrel end for longer barreled revolvers, but they warn potential buyers to "NOT BUY" their holsters if you have a light trigger pull on your revolver. The big negative with K.L. Null's holsters is the narrow shoulder harness that makes it uncomfortable as well as not keeping the holster in proper position due to the narrow harness design that does not keep it in as secure a position as the older leather designs.

Until you have tried an "upside down" holster with a snubbie in it, you can not appreciate how fast it is and how concealable it is compared to any other type of carry for a "snubbie".

I have an old S&W vertical shoulder holster that is the same as Bianchi's X15 with a spring tensioned open front that allows you to pull the pistol or revolver straight out, but it still is not as fast as the "upside down" holster design.

I have had good success with Taurus products and Ruger doesn't make the SP101 in 9mm any more and used 9mm SP101's are hard to come by and cost a pretty hefty penny.

Bountyhunter
Old 06-11-2007, 09:18 PM   post #5 of 10
emt812
CC OWNER-Proud Grandpa

MTF Member # 2161

Check out this site
http://www.usahuntingsupplies.com/detail.aspx?ID=4510
94 Ace 42" cut Shift on the go 14.5 HP B & S

Last edited by Ingersoll444; 06-12-2007 at 05:35 AM. Reason: fixed link
emt812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2007, 05:36 AM   post #6 of 10
Ingersoll444
ex spelling bee champ

MTF Member # 16

Hmmm never seen or heard of that style before. What keeps it from falling out??

Visit The Case Ingersoll Colt Forum.

SUPER Of The Month 10/2011
Ingersoll444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2007, 10:08 AM   post #7 of 10
USN_ED
Old Fart

MTF Member # 49

An upside -down shoulder holster isn't secure enough in some hard running or physical altercations. Carried a S&W Chief's Special in one in the Navy and didn't like it. I finally resorted to just sticking it in my right front pocket and carrying it that way. Secure and easy to get to. Failing that, I carried it in a belt holster on my right hip. I currently have a S&W Model 60 and a Taurus CH85 and when I carry one of them I still just stick em in my right front pocket and away I go.

NEVER FORGET "The Battling Bastards of Bataan" !!! We owe them much.

MTD Yard Machines "GOLD"
Craftsman GT5000

**** MTF 5 Year Sponsor ****

Sears "Chevron Tires" SKU # 71-24167 (Two AG tires mounted on steel rims with valve stems).
USN_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2007, 06:33 PM   post #8 of 10
Bountyhunter
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 1091

EMT812:

Thanks for the link, it is the first time I have heard of Vega Holsters.

It is quite a coincidence that it is made in the Country of my birth.

I went to the home site and found that they do make them for Taurus revolvers.

$48.00 is one **** of a good price considering the apparent quality I see on the site.

Ingersoll444:

You must be a young pup and not involved heavily with sidearms in the years I mentioned.

There is a classic story about a U.S. Marshall that was wearing a .357 magnum in an "upside down" holster that was missed when some bad guys got the drop on him and patted him down for weapons completely missing the revolver hanging close to his armpit. He drew down on 2 of the "perps" and killed both of them.

If you look closely at the holster you will notice a leather "hook" that surrounds the underside of the trigger guard.

The elastic exerts pressure against the revolver and keeps the trigger guard pressed into the holsters "hook" until you grab the revolvers handle and "pull straight across your chest", you "DO NOT PULL THE REVOLVER DOWN AND OUT!"

USN_ED:

I don't know which model you had and it is possible you had a holster designed for a revolver with a larger diameter cylinder than the cylinder on the revolver you put in the holster.

Depending on your usage, the elastic on yours may have lost tension somehow. They used to make some with an adjustable metal tension spring but those were rare and cost more. Sorry yours didn't work well for you, but I never had to worry about my old Charter Arms coming loose unless it was grabbed.

If you go to Vega's web site, you will find an "upside down" holster for semi auto's that can also be adjusted for horizontal carry. That one supports the pistol with a thumb release strap going across the top of the pistol.

If they ever pass a CCW law in Wisconsin, the "upside down" holster is going to be my preferred carry for large caliber and heavier firearms because it can be easily hidden in light weight clothing for summer carry.

My "always" carry will be a Kel-Tec P32 because it is so light and concealable.

Since my credo is "Avoidance, first and always", I am not concerned about carrying a "mouse gun" in a .32 acp.

Bountyhunter
Old 06-12-2007, 08:31 PM   post #9 of 10
Dagwood1959
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 3236

I had a Pike holster made for me by Big Ed who owns San Pedro Saddlery in Tombstone Arizona. They make a Montana Skeleton Holster. Not the same thing you want but a nice rig. My rig is priced out at his web site. Leather work is some of the best I have ever seen. I will warn you that it takes time to get orders filled as he is hand making all of his rigs. Check out the Field Marshal Pike as well. Not upside down but very cool. The Derringer is a well done rig as well. Montana Skeleton Holster

Dagwood1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2007, 12:52 AM   post #10 of 10
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

AND a couple more upsidedown links:

http://www.geocities.com/larocheleathers/holsters4.html

http://www.dlsports.com/holster_dual..._shoulder.html

Has anyone seen or used a leather holster from "Ray's Holsters". They have a decent "looking" thumb break forward cant belt holster similar to the FLETCH. Wondering about leather and quality of stitching.
HydroHarold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.