JD 425 box blade question - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 03-14-2007, 12:41 PM   post #1 of 17
Rick ND
MTF Member

MTF Member # 4970
Default JD 425 box blade question

Hey Folks,

Please bare with me ... I have several inputs/questions.

Has anyone ever seen or used a small box blade with a JD 425?. If so how did it work for you?

Another person said you could put one on the 425 HOWEVER the JD attatchment capability chart doesnt show you can.

The JD dealer offered to sell me a cat o blox blade BUT he never had heard of anyone putting one on the 425.

SO ... with out talking to someone who has actually placed a box blade on a 425 with out wrecking the transmission or engine ... I'm mighty leary about doing it.

Thanx!! in advance for any help

1964 JD 3020 Diesel Power Shift/F-11 Farmhand Loader/8ft Snow Bucket/5ft Kingcutter Field Mower/62in Howse Tiller/Three Point Post Hole Digger ... Sold

1998 JD 425/48in Mower/Ruegg 3 Point/Iron Man 4ft BB/Beromac 4 ft Snow Blower/Beromac Cab/WW Filled 26-12-12 Carlisel HD Field Trax Tires/70lb Wheel Weights

2008 Jinma 284 Shuttle Shift/Factory Loader
Rick ND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 01:25 PM   post #2 of 17
bontai Joe
Citizen of Earth

MTF Member # 51
Default Re: JD 425 box blade question

Here is a thread from www.weekendfreedommachines.org that shows a 332 with a loader and box blade on it:
http://www.weekendfreedommachines.or...335/84864.html

I have seen box blades on the old Deere 140 GT and would think that the heavier duty 400 series could easily handle one.

ALWAYS remember to remove the spark plug wire from the plug before sticking your hand in the machine!!!! The fingers you save could be your own.
bontai Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2007, 01:34 PM   post #3 of 17
slkpk
USMC

MTF Member # 37

I had a 425 for 7 years and 860 hours and it's a tough machine. If I would have had the 3PH I would've had one on it. I see less heavier duty tractors on this forum and others using a BB. Don't see why the 425 couldn't handle it. slkpk
It's too late to worry about it now!

slkpk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2007, 05:57 PM   post #4 of 17
Mayor

MTF Member # 2656

I think you would have traction problems long before any damage was done to the tractor. Thats just my thinking.FYI, I think my little 4ft box blade is under 300 lbs. I

Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2007, 07:09 PM   post #5 of 17
Bruceman
. . . . . . . . . . . .

MTF Member # 28

Gannon made a Box Blade, and adapted it to work on several GT's, John Deere being one of them. There were 32, 36 and 42 wide with rippers!"

There are still a few around. I've seen them for sale on Ebay.

I have one that's 36" wide on a Sears GT16. Did I say it only has 16hp and does a great job. I have Ags and weights on it though. You would have no problems using one on yours.

Deeres guide probably doesn't list one because they don't offer a BB for the GT's.

Bruce~
Bruceman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2007, 07:17 PM   post #6 of 17
old_nodaker
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 257

Rick - its a John Deere. You can't hurt it by using it. Did you get a 3 point, or how would you hook it up. If you have a hookup that allows down pressure, be forewarned that traction will be a problem.
old_nodaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2007, 12:30 AM   post #7 of 17
Rick ND
MTF Member

MTF Member # 4970

Folks,

First; Thanx! for the info.

Second; A few questions for Old Nodaker.

I haven't bought a 3 point yet but that's what I was looking at.

Is there another way to mount the box blade?

What attachment gives you down pressure??

Do you have any weight suggestions?

As always ... thanx in advance for any/all replies

1964 JD 3020 Diesel Power Shift/F-11 Farmhand Loader/8ft Snow Bucket/5ft Kingcutter Field Mower/62in Howse Tiller/Three Point Post Hole Digger ... Sold

1998 JD 425/48in Mower/Ruegg 3 Point/Iron Man 4ft BB/Beromac 4 ft Snow Blower/Beromac Cab/WW Filled 26-12-12 Carlisel HD Field Trax Tires/70lb Wheel Weights

Old 03-15-2007, 04:28 PM   post #8 of 17
old_nodaker
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 257

Of course the 3 point hookup would be your best bet, just kind of expensive. 3 points generally don't have down pressure options, but just wanted to forewarn you, you can make something, using elect actuators or such, but build float into the linkage.

For weights you don't have a lot of choices with the 3 point. Wheel weights and/or fluid in the tires. Ag tires no doubt would help also but it all depends on what you're doing if you need all that. I pull two 60 inch tag along mowers just using wheel weights and turf tires, but the 445 has bigger rear tires which helps.
old_nodaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2007, 04:36 PM   post #9 of 17
Mayor

MTF Member # 2656

What attachment gives you down pressure??

The only way to get down pressure is weight on the box blade. The more weight you add the less traction the tractor will have. Then you add weight to the tractor. This can go on and on till you find your perfect balance. Ag tires will help and do not fill up with mud like the turf tires.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:45 PM   post #10 of 17
Mayor

MTF Member # 2656

Do you have any weight suggestions?

This is a shot of my BB behind the tractor not hooked up but you can see the JD weights in the BB rails. Looks like I can fit 3 to 4 per side @42 pounds thats some weight. The weights are nice because you can take them on and off as needed.

This is the BB with out weights on it but hooked up to the 2305.

Some weights on the JD LX280 for traction with the bagger.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:34 AM   post #11 of 17
Rick ND
MTF Member

MTF Member # 4970

Folks,

First ... thanks again for the help.

Second ... My wonderful wife has given her full support in in this equipment purchase AS LONG as the box blade will ...

Dig out paths for us/me .. to install brick patios/walk ways; cut drainage swales; level the property and recycled asphalt driveway.

Please chime in if you think the box blade won't do the above CONSIDERING that a loader is out of my price range.

Lastly ... The JD dealer mentioned that the AG tires would tend to beat the lawn up and create a rougher ride.

SO I was wondering if anyone had experience/know the up/down side of with filling turf tires with fluid to create more traction.

Thanks in advance for any/all help

Old 03-16-2007, 09:17 AM   post #12 of 17
slkpk
USMC

MTF Member # 37

Rick ND, I had the AG tires on my 425 and loved them. I found no need for chains in the winter using my FEL to push snow, they did NOT tear up the yard and the ride was not bad at all. The only thing you need to be careful of when triming and tight turns slow down or the AG's will cut into the yard, if you slow down no problem. slkpk

Old 03-16-2007, 09:20 AM   post #13 of 17
slkpk
USMC

MTF Member # 37

Mayor, is that dirt I see on the floor board of that brand new tractor? Glad to see your using it. slkpk

Old 03-16-2007, 09:26 AM   post #14 of 17
Mayor

MTF Member # 2656

The box blade will do what your asking it to do. It would be nice to get rid of that wheelbarrow and have a FEL ready to go. Your going to need ag tires and weight. Try the weight first and see how it works. You can always have rear ags mounted on rims and switch the turfs out in the winter if your going to do some box blade work. It's easy for us to spend your money but just wanted to put it out there. Sounds like your on the right path.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2007, 09:37 AM   post #15 of 17
Mayor

MTF Member # 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkpk
Mayor, is that dirt I see on the floor board of that brand new tractor? Glad to see your using it. slkpk
Why yes, I belive it is. Will have to get right on that. If I had a few pictures of her when she was stuck in the mud last week you would die. Had to get the power washer out to get the mud off. I don't mind getting her dirty but always put time aside for clean up. We are going to have a long relationship so I better treat her right. Here is a shot I just took. Got her in the garage from the shed to take care of the snow storm that's coming. Put the box blade on for weight. I am kind of off today due to my sales meeting being canceled. Paper work day got to love it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.