Sputter or Stall Downhill to the Right - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 08-07-2013, 10:04 AM   post #1 of 16
ctrobk
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 134874
Default Sputter or Stall Downhill to the Right

Hello all,

I am looking for some advice on an issue I am having. I have a DGT6000 with 27hp Kohler. I think its around 2003 model.

When I head on a downward slope or angled to the right the engine sputters like it is going to stall. Once the tractor levels out, the rpm's shoot right back to normal speed.

I know it is not the seat safety switch. I disconnected it to troubleshoot the problem.
I think it might be a fuel problem. Runs normal uphill and level. No trouble starting.

Any ideas?

Thanks
ctrobk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 11:32 AM   post #2 of 16
nkaust
Proud Member of the 1K Club

Location: Berkeley Springs West Virginia, Hello My Name Is Nkaust And I Am Addicted To Garden Tractors
MTF Member # 37424
Default Re: Sputter or Stall Downhill to the Right

sounds like it's running out of gas to me
1253 Bolens
1050 Bolens
I'm Sure Theres Others Somewhere Lol

Common Sense And Caution Are factors which Cannot Be Built Into Any Product.
These Factors Must Be Supplied By The Operator.
nkaust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 12:34 PM   post #3 of 16
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

All float type carbs will exhibit this to some degree,when you tilt them at an angle far enough off camber or uphill/downhill,,the fuel in the bowl tends to seek its own level and some fuel starvation occours, or they will flood..some are more sensitive than others...

Many off road 4x4 enthusiasts use Quadrajet carbs because they seem less prone to this problem,compared to an Edelbrock or Carter,or Holley carb...

You could check the float level to be sure its set to the corrct level,and if it has a fuel pump,ensure its delivering enough fuel...if those 2 things check out,I am afraid you may just have to live with it...this is why some engines used diaphram type carbs,so the engine will run at any angle ,like a chain saw...most 4 cycle engines wont like running too long tilted to far even if the carb would allow it too though,it might starve for oil and do some lower end damage..
Old 08-07-2013, 01:46 PM   post #4 of 16
Sixgun
6's & 8's

MTF Member # 83377
Garage

I had a similar issue with another motor and it turned out to be the low oil sensor. When turning one direction or going uphill the engine died. It didn't sputter though, it just cut out.

Something to consider if it turns out not to be a fuel issue.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:16 PM   post #5 of 16
ctrobk
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 134874

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaust View Post
sounds like it's running out of gas to me
At first I thought it might be caused by low gas level since when it is tilted toward the right causes the fuel to move away from the outlet. I filled the tank and still had the same issue.

This is a new problem, I have been cutting the same slopes with this machine for the past 6 years.

I will take a look at the float in the carb. But hoping someone here has had a similar problem and can pinpoint a solution.

Thanks again.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:12 PM   post #6 of 16
jaevans
MTF newbie

MTF Member # 77027

Try rotating the fuel filter 90 degrees and see if it fixes the issue. If it does, the filter should be replaced. My thoughts are that the fuel filter is clogged on just part of its surface area and the slant makes it so no fuel can get through.
jaevans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 09:38 PM   post #7 of 16
ctrobk
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 134874

I want to seek more advice on this problem I have with the tractor. It is model #917.275282 with a Kohler CV740s-0018. I finally had some time to tinker with it the past few days.

I removed and cleaned the carb, and at the suggestion of my parts dealer swapped the see-thru larger fuel filter to a smaller one that is less prone to air bubbles.

I also determined the problem is not so much downhill as it is when the machine is tilted to the right.

My parts dealer also mentioned the low oil sensor but said that would shut the engine off.
After disassembling the carb, I thought it might be a problem with a diaphragm. Forgive me for not knowing the name, but I can not find an exploded view of the carb. This diaphragm was located on the right side of the bowl of the carb and accessed after removing 3 screws. There was also a large spring that applies pressure to the diaphragm. I thought it was in bad shape because it wasn't pliable. Parts guy said he has seen worse and should still work with the condition it was in. He didn't think that was the problem. He looked at the float and said it looked like it was in the right position.

He also mentioned the fuel pump but when I told him it wasn't mechanical and was vacuum actuated he didn't think that was the issue either.

I also removed the rocker cover on the right side and a decent amount of oil came out. Is this normal? I should have mentioned I think the head gasket on the right side probably needs to be replaced. When the carb was off, I noticed a lot of grime on the outside of the cylinder from what appears to be a small oil leak. The other side was fairly clean.

Engine runs great when level, uphill or tilted left.
Tilted right, the rpms bog down like it wants to stall.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. Appreciate your suggestions.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:09 PM   post #8 of 16
ctrobk
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 134874

update on the problem: the engine didn't stall when I kept it tilted to the right. In the past I always tried to level out before it stalled. So today, I let kept it on the tilt and it just bogs down. I lose about 1000+ rpm.

Please let me know your thoughts on what it could be
Old 09-08-2013, 06:51 AM   post #9 of 16
BobP
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 71265

Have you checked and or cleaned the fuel tank? maybe there is something in there rolling around blocking the fuel inlet . If the fuel inlet is on the left side it would make sense .

The only bad question is the one not asked .
http://golfcoursemechanics.blogspot.ca/
BobP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 07:46 AM   post #10 of 16
38racing
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 25899

Could something be shifting and partially shorting the seat safety circuit .does it happen if blades pto is not engaged?
38racing is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 07:20 PM   post #11 of 16
ctrobk
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 134874

Thank you for the responses and ideas. I was thinking the same thing about the fuel tank. However, I think I might have found the problem. I drove the tractor down to the part of the property where it always sputters without the engine cowl. While it was sputtering, I tried to remove the air filter, the suction from the engine was so strong, it took a huge effort to remove it. Once removed, engine fired right back up to 2500+ rpms.

I cleaned the air filter and pre filter with my compressor but it didn't fix the problem. I have new filters on order. I am assuming filter is clogged in some fashion.

I am baffled on why the tractor runs fine in all positions except tilted to the right. For some reason its not getting enough air in that position.

Once I get the new filter, I will report my results.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:56 AM   post #12 of 16
GT_80
Cranky Motorsports

MTF Member # 35886
Garage

Check the tank. I had acorn in my tank once that caused all kinds of problems... I think I remeber putting them in the tank when I was a kid. Surprised they stayed in there that lond. I should have thrown them in a fire to see what they would do
MTF Addict #35886

Tractors:
1968 Super12 "Miss Emma Lee"
1969 Suburban 12
1972 SS12- half rolling chassis
1973 SS16/ 18/6 hybrid
1976 SS16 General may be a 500,000th clone soon...
1976 SS18 Trusty

Attachments: Yes please!

My YouTubeMy Ebay

Sears Manuals
GT_80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 09:10 PM   post #13 of 16
ctrobk
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 134874

I thought I would update this post just in case someone has a similar problem. It turned out to be the air filter. I installed the new filter with a new foam pre filter. Tractor runs great now on slopes and angles.

I overlooked the air filter because it was running great with the exception of a slope.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:09 PM   post #14 of 16
Bill Kapaun
Circumflatulater

MTF Member # 6264

Isn't that EFI instead of carbureted?

Bill Kapaun is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2013, 06:48 PM   post #15 of 16
ctrobk
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 134874

I wish it was EFI, but it is carburated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.