intake manifold gasket question... - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 08-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
HollyOnan
MTF Member

MTF Member # 132465
Default intake manifold gasket question...

I have an Onan b43m engine, I need to replace the intake manifold gaskets, found all the part numbers, except for the gasket for the two halves of the manifold itself. Any one familiar with this?

I found a part number on the manifold 170 2968

Last edited by HollyOnan; 08-06-2013 at 07:58 PM.
HollyOnan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
boomers_influence
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 36155
Default Re: intake manifold gasket question...

holly
what you found is a cast #.
there is also a number on the bottom half.
there is NO gaskt. between the two halves.
it is some sort of sealer.
why do you think you need one?
thank you. boomer
boomers_influence is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
HollyOnan
MTF Member

MTF Member # 132465

I'm having carb issues, I re-built the carb last weekend, but I didn't have a new gasket to put between the carb & manifold, or between manifold & block. So I settled for not taking the carb off the manifold & using a gasket seal out of a tube for the block/manifold. I think I'm sucking air in from the old carb to manifold gasket, so I ordered new gaskets & thought I should replace the one between the manifold halves too. When the new gaskets get put on I'm hoping that will fix my issues. So now I'm asking will the manifold stay together for me when disassembling the carb from the manifold? It doesn't look like it, but guess I will find out soon enough.
HollyOnan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
rlordjr
Old Iron Enthusiast

MTF Member # 68685

Yep it stays together. When you undo the 4 big bolts holding the intake onto the engine you can take the carb and intake off as a unit. Then you can take the carb off the intake and replace the gasket there. Once the carb is back on the intake, just put your new gaskets down and put the whole assembly back down, tighten the 4 big bolts and you are good to go. You can test those gaskets by spraying starting fluid at the interfaces to see if there is some suckage.

I have two B43M's and just did a bunch of that myself.
rlordjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Don Chip
MTF Member

MTF Member # 36855

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlordjr View Post
Yep it stays together. When you undo the 4 big bolts holding the intake onto the engine you can take the carb and intake off as a unit. Then you can take the carb off the intake and replace the gasket there. Once the carb is back on the intake, just put your new gaskets down and put the whole assembly back down, tighten the 4 big bolts and you are good to go. You can test those gaskets by spraying starting fluid at the interfaces to see if there is some suckage.

I have two B43M's and just did a bunch of that myself.
I have the same manifold 170 2968 and I found out today that I can blow air between the Half
Don Chip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
claudia77
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 85104

Felpro has a gasket material called (Fel-Ramic) it has one side of perforated metal and the other is a paper like heat proof material. I glue the two paper sides together and cut intake and exhaust gaskets. If done right it wont burn out or blow out. NAPA carries it as do most other auto supply places. It isn't the easiest stuff to work with.
claudia77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.