Honda 1011 issues - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 07-07-2013, 02:02 PM   post #1 of 7
CD5
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 123761
Default Honda 1011 issues

Just bought this hopefully not a lemon and an easy fix.

Was cutting the lawn last night and it shut down mid cut. Before I started it I filled it with new gas and checked the oil. Now it will not start at all. I charged the battery but nothing when I turn the key. I have the manual electronically and tried the trouble shooting tips. I bought it last night and it was working Argh! Can someone please help me figure this out. It was cutting and sounding real nice.

thanks
Chris
CD5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 PM   post #2 of 7
slednut
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 83346
Default Re: Honda 1011 issues

Does it start after sitting for a while? If so could be restricted fuel flow to carb bowl (needle/seat, fuel line, filter, dirt in tank).
slednut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 08:24 AM   post #3 of 7
CD5
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 123761

Slednut,

No it does not. I have let it sit for a day and still nothing. It does not turn over at all when I turn the ignition key. I am unsure what happened because it was working fine.

Chris
Old 07-08-2013, 10:10 AM   post #4 of 7
slednut
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 83346

I don't know much about the 1011 but if there is a fuse near the positive side of the battery it could be blown. I don't think this would cause it to quit running but it would be a place to start. Does the starter click? If so you may want to grab the pulley on the bottom of the engine and try to turn it over. Hopefully it will.
slednut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 10:46 AM   post #5 of 7
robert@honda
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 71878

The H1011 has a number of safety/interlock devices that prevent the starter from working if the unit is not in the correct "safe" mode.

For the starter to work, the PTO lever must be OFF, the parking brake must be set ON (or brake/clutch pedal fully pressed), the shifter must be in NEUTRAL. These are the settings if there is NOT an operator in the seat. This is a good way to see if the seat presence switch is working; if the mower starts like this, but not when somebody is in the seat and the parking brake is OFF, the seat switch may be faulty.

With an operator in the seat, the PTO lever must be OFF and the shift lever must be in NEUTRAL for the starter to work.

Confirm the NEUTRAL position switch is working too. It can get out of line, so even if the shift lever is in NEUTRAL, the switch on the lever may not quite contact, and this would prevent the starter from turning too.

Double-check battery connections...a loose or poor connection at either battery post can present similar no-starter-worky symptoms.
robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 02:42 PM   post #6 of 7
CD5
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 123761

Robert,
Where is the neutral switch located? I have the manual and have tried the troubleshooting methods you mentioned. Could it be the starter itself? It was working before that is what I don't understand. Then battery connections look good and the battery seems to be holding charge also. I did find a local honda dealer that would take a look at it. It just seems like it should be something simple since it ran before.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 03:02 PM   post #7 of 7
robert@honda
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 71878

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD5 View Post
Robert,
Where is the neutral switch located? I have the manual and have tried the troubleshooting methods you mentioned. Could it be the starter itself? It was working before that is what I don't understand. Then battery connections look good and the battery seems to be holding charge also. I did find a local honda dealer that would take a look at it. It just seems like it should be something simple since it ran before.

Chris
On the hydro trans. H1011, the neutral switch is on/near the shift lever. Might be able to see/access it from underneath the body. On gear models, the switch is on the trans. case itself.

In the shop manual, under "starter doesn't turn with a fully charged battery" the steps are:

1. Connect a jumper wire from ground the the white wire with a black trace at the starter relay.
2. If the starter turns, then interlock system (relay) is faulty.
3. If the solenoid clicks, but the starter does not turn, then the starter is faulty.
4. If the solenoid does not click, the ignition switch or wiring is faulty.

The interlock relay is fitted to the left side frame under the seat support.

Yes, it could be the starter. Might want to get a voltmeter on the terminals and confirm it is getting 12V when the key is held in the START position.
robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.