terramite compact loader, backhoe - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

The Tool Shed If its in there... we discuss it here!!! General Outdoor Power Equipment discussion area.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:26 PM   post #1 of 32
animal15340
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 4115
Default terramite compact loader, backhoe

anybody have or ever had a terramite loader, backhoe? are they any good?
reliable? what motors are available ? what should i pay for a decent used
one (older model)?
animal15340 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2006, 12:35 PM   post #2 of 32
Wingnut
Once was a Super Member

MTF Member # 75
Default Re: terramite compact loader, backhoe

All of rental companies have them down in Texas. I rented one with 5800+ hours on it and was a good stronge little machine.

Rental Companies would no use them unless they were reliable.

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong, because someday in life you will have been all of these.

Lose money while restoring a Farmall F-12 let me show you how!

CLICK HERE
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2006, 06:16 PM   post #3 of 32
dumaspup
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 2078

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut
All of rental companies have them down in Texas. I rented one with 5800+ hours on it and was a good stronge little machine.

Don't take that to hart, I don't know anything about the machine in question, but I do know that rental companies don't care how it hold up, how long it will last or how well it will do the job. All they care about is getting the machine rented out. If it craps out after that "Oh that's to bad we will have some one out to fix ASAP"

Massey 2720
dumaspup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2006, 06:58 PM   post #4 of 32
Byron R
Branded for LIFE !!!

MTF Member # 505

I have used a teramite a few times..they were rentals..they are not a bobcat ..with the power..But usefull as of not to weigh a ton or more while digging footers for a addition or replacing sidewalks..because of yard repair..Bobcats will leave you a lot of work when they go back to rental..Maybe thats why most guys own them..Teramites will do what they were made for..in there own application..I would love to have one..b,
Old 12-02-2006, 10:52 AM   post #5 of 32
forkz
forkz

MTF Member # 3391

how yall doing my brother has one his is a older one it has a 20 hp not sure what brand motor he.s had it bout 10 years its been a tuff little machine he dug up some pretty good size trees with it while its not a full size backhoe n loader he takes his time with it its does good job thanks wayne
Old 03-27-2007, 05:07 PM   post #6 of 32
Robert M
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 5173

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumaspup
Don't take that to hart, I don't know anything about the machine in question, but I do know that rental companies don't care how it hold up, how long it will last or how well it will do the job. All they care about is getting the machine rented out. If it craps out after that "Oh that's to bad we will have some one out to fix ASAP"
You never rented from me, I worked for the best in the industry, well in my opinion. RSC I also worked for the worst as a service manager, Falconite/NES. A machine never went on the ready line till it was right. Service calls cost money. Every time I had to send out someone on a service call I took a hit on my quarterly bonus since it effected the bottom line. before I left I was down to 3 service calls a week on $500,000 a month in rentals.

Back on subject We had Terramites. Nice simple machine. you can fab just about all the structural stuff yourself. Depending on how old or new you buy your going to get Kohler or Honda engines. Drive system is hydraulic so a complete engine replacement is simple. cylinders are all standard sizes so a local hydraulic shop should be able to repair them.

Disadvantage/ not as powerful as a bobcat but you can get the job done.

Advantage/ Light, you can get in and out of places with a minimum of damage to the surrounding area. This also makes it easier to transport. Easy to maintain/repair. It's about like working on a glorified garden tractor. If I ever come across one for the right price I will have one.
Robert M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 05:52 PM   post #7 of 32
topak
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 14440

many have this [url=http://www.earthtechbackhoe.com]backhoe demolition{/url]dilemma. and here is now the better solution.
topak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2008, 01:50 AM   post #8 of 32
okieduc104
dirtgeezer

MTF Member # 7177

dumaspup,
Sorry to disagree but the Rental Companies here in Texas really do care about customer service, most of their regular customers are contractors.

yep! stupid hurts........
Old 07-17-2008, 07:36 AM   post #9 of 32
Ken in NJ

MTF Member # 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post

I have to agree with Wingnut on this one... I have rented one a few times .. good machine .. but don't expect it to do what a full size backhoe will do.

As far as rental companies .. renting stuff that is reliable .. I know the ones I deal with are that way .. I have a national account with United Rentals and two local companies also. All three of them only rent quality equipment. Which in my opinion is well maintained.

I just ordered a pressure washed based on what they rent out .. If it can stand up to being a rental .. That is what I would and will buy for my own use.
Ken in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2008, 11:11 AM   post #10 of 32
GreenWannabe
MTF Member

MTF Member # 9639

My only experience with renting was last year down in Georgia. I made arrangements with NES to rent a bobcat with teeth, as I knew nothing without teeth would even touch that clay so far into the drought. Despite their promises, when I got there to rent it, no teeth - the manager (who I originally made the arrangements with) said they couldn't just keep the one with teeth hanging around waiting for me to get there (despite precise date of need when I talked to him).

I accepted the only one they had running (!) but found it wouldn't do as good as a flat shovel, told them to come get it. Very disappointing experience, won't rent from them again.
GreenWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2008, 12:02 PM   post #11 of 32
bblalocksr
haffast

MTF Member # 1112

I am a contractor, we rent from all the major rental companies. They all have quality equipment. Yes, like all of us they make mistakes. They hate down time as much as we do. Service calls cost them money and customers.
We rent cranes, backhoes and forklifts for a year at a time. They send service techs to do routine maint at our site to keep the equiptment running.
Good folks

Back to the subject, The terramite is a good "small" machine. It's limitation is it's weight. There are situations where only the terramite will fit. You just need to take your time. It will go in most back yards where nothing else will fit.

bblalocksr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2008, 08:03 AM   post #12 of 32
bobyanvarybuilder@embarqm
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 18838

I bought a used rental t5c at an auction 2 years ago . It is a 2000 with a Honda 20 hp. I paid $6500 for it. I take care of 30 acres, it does everything from road maintenance to processing firewood. I tried my buddies kubota 17hp diesel backhoe-loader, it did'nt even compare! The only glitch with machine is that the backhoe only swings 140 degrees instead of 180. Other than that it is a truly amazing American made machine!
bobyanvarybuilder@embarqm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 09:16 PM   post #13 of 32
Lawrence60
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 4537

I have operated different types of construction equipment, mostly smaller TLB's and Trencher/backhoes's for installing and reparing natural gas mains and services for 24 of my 30 years at Center Point Energy in Minnesota. Can't say I have run it all but have spent enought time on TLB's and Trencher/backhoe's to know if what I'm on is junk. I have just put money down on a 1998 Terramite T5C with 1087 hours in good condition. I will have something to report after using it at home and then at my Dad's lake place in Wisconsin. I have seen Excel energy crews with T5C's a few times in the past
and the little machine seemed to do a fine job for them where a larger TLB was not a good option. Can't wait for the frost to go out and the ground to dry a little.

Last edited by Lawrence60; 03-23-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Lawrence60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 08:13 PM   post #14 of 32
Drsergio
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 27375

I have old one 70 sss great machine i need a muffler but i cant find....
any help
Drsergio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 11:11 PM   post #15 of 32
don r
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 34312

about a week ago there was one on craigslist cleveland in strongsville for i think around $7500,
don r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.