Ross Steering Gear out of sync - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-11-2013, 10:20 PM   post #1 of 4
fixitagain
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 99313
Default Ross Steering Gear out of sync

My 1983 or so Jacobsen GT12g has a steering issue after I ran it into a 6x6
post yesterday. Everything looks good outside of the steering box. Nothing bent. I decided the steering is out of sync. The wheels turn too far one way,
and just barely the other way. I have taken the Ross unit apart on chassis,
but I need some step by step instructions to set it back up correctly. When you turn the wheel, everything is very smooth, it just does not turn the wheels correctly.I am cleaning it up, getting ready to reset it. A little help is all I need,
I think. Ross unit ID # SCA11024025. I bought the tractor slightly used in 1983, and I have used it ever since. There is an open threaded hole at the bottom under the two jam nuts that I wonder if I am missing a bolt from. At the bottom of the shaft, there is a cotter pin, listed as an adjustment pin. I took it out but I could not turn the bottom plug(described as the steering gear adjustment plug).

Thanks for any help.
fixitagain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 11:48 PM   post #2 of 4
Larry LGT 165
RETIRED CDN. MECHANIC

MTF Member # 84190
Default Re: Ross Steering Gear out of sync

There is a real good post by "Jack's Deere" in the "power steering on an LGT". thread of the Ford/post 1990 new Holland site. It is a link "Garden Tractor Pulling Tips" only back about 2-3 weeks. It is done by "Brian Miller" I believe the authors name to be. A very all inclusive read with great diagrams.

If you center the steering box by turning 1 & 1/2 turns of the steering wheel from either end of the travel, are the wheels pointing straight ahead? if not, can you see where anything got bent? Sounds like draglink adjustment might be out. The adjustment won't have changed but the steering arm on either end of it may have twisted on impact. At the kingpin or at the cross shaft of the Ross box. I have also seen the sector pin in the worm, sheared right off at or under the locking nut.

The bottom plug with the cotter pin securing it adjusts the up and down play of the shaft bearings. If this was loose, you would be able to lift the steering wheel up and down while sitting in the seat.

"Ford LGT 165" has a good "Steering box rebuild" video posted after Jack's and can also be found at the top of the Cub Cadet site. Many brands use the Ross box.

Since it's dark now, give that long post a read and then have a look in the morning.
I can't help but feel something will be obvious if it happened on impact.
Best of luck.

"NOTHING RUNS LIKE A DEERE" BUT "NOTHING WORKS LIKE A FORD" AND "NOTHING DRIVES LIKE A HONDA"
1976 Ford LGT 165 / Johnson 10TC Loader 1987 Honda HT3810 / Bagger 1974 Ford LGT 120 /mower 1992 Honda H4514 /mower

Last edited by Larry LGT 165; 05-12-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Larry LGT 165 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 11:32 AM   post #3 of 4
fixitagain
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 99313

Thanks everyone

The Drag Link was in fact bent. I learned a lot about the tractor.

I had the schematics showing the threads fairly straight, not bent in a u shape.

But I did check the complete steering out and it is perfect now.

Thanks again for the help

fixitagain
fixitagain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 01:49 PM   post #4 of 4
Larry LGT 165
RETIRED CDN. MECHANIC

MTF Member # 84190

Hi Fixitagain
Just knew morning would shed a little daylight on the cause. After the deck, the steering seems to be the most vulnerable part of the tractor. Bending the draglink was a blessing, otherwise you would have had the steering box out on the floor and be on ebay looking for parts.

Glad it worked out ok

"NOTHING RUNS LIKE A DEERE" BUT "NOTHING WORKS LIKE A FORD" AND "NOTHING DRIVES LIKE A HONDA"
1976 Ford LGT 165 / Johnson 10TC Loader 1987 Honda HT3810 / Bagger 1974 Ford LGT 120 /mower 1992 Honda H4514 /mower
Larry LGT 165 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.