2013 John Deere D105 - Page 3 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Lawn and Garden Tractor Reviews (All Brands) Share your impressions of your Lawn or Garden Tractor here!

Old 06-03-2013, 08:15 PM   post #31 of 67
Goon Commando
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 110369
Default Re: 2013 John Deere D105

Just picked up this tractor as well.

Figured I'd write up why I picked it versus the comparables in case others are searching for the same info.

I was comparing in the $1499 range, I had a Bolens 14.5hp that Lowes sells before with the "Shift-On-The-Go" (which is a lie, its a straight manual) and wanted something bigger with an automatic function.

Models in the range:

Husqvarna YTH2042 $1499 (Home/Lowes)
Cub Cadet LTX1040 $1399 (Home depot)
Craftsman (same as husky above, just red)

What I looked at but didn't rank in the top 3:
Poulan Pro: sat on one, it might have been the twin to Bolens - quality is lowest it could possibly be and that was just sitting on it.
Troy Bilt: copy of the Poulan but in black. slightly better quality but nothing like the top 3
Ariens: didn't dig much into this one, they make good snow blowers but I wanted to have compatible accessories and never seen much for Ariens tractors. Possibly made my AYP which would mean its a copy of the above two.

These are just my thoughts when comparing, I'm sure people here will have different feedback and their X model lasted X years in the worst environment, yep.

So the top 3, what made the difference:
Service: I liked the Husky, but the one thing that set JD apart was the service. I was at Lowes and asked about the tractor the day before, they had to check to make sure they had one they could sell because they have to have a local JD dealer come out, unbox and do the initial setup on the mower. That's a level of quality you just can't find with the other mowers.

Transmission: The JD D105 specifically has a new CVT transmission, which get away from the Hydrostatic which over time needs filters and can have issues, the CVT is sealed, a belt on top drives it which (from what I can tell) looks easy to replace if need be. After driving it around it doesn't have that "whine" that Hydros have and it is extremely smooth, for me Hydros have a feeling where you have to build up pressure then they kind of jerk into motion. this one just gently moves the more you press the pedal and no extra noise.

Build quality: the JD and the Husky both sat the same, both had good quality - and what I mean by this is the how the hood sits on the frame (snugness), seat quality, the controls are more than a piece of steel with a plastic ball on the end of it (ala Bolens) they both passed this mark well.

SO by now your asking what happened to Cub Cadet? Well I'm a member of consumer reports, and unfortunately they gave it a really bad rating, in fact Cub cadets entire line was given the "brand with the most service issues" and that knocked it out of the line up for me - I don't need 'more' issues, which sucks because growing up for me it had a great reputation and now its owned by MTD/AYP and they have brought it inline with the Bolens/Poulan/etc lines for quality. It's like the monster that eats competitors unfortunately.

So for now, that's that. The Service and new transmission in the 105 made me jump on it, and after 1 cut, its been awesome. Set it up for mulching and with the stock blade I can't even tell any clippings were left on the lawn.

10 out of 10.
Goon Commando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 08:26 PM   post #32 of 67
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

Nice write up GC and congrats .
Old 06-04-2013, 03:11 AM   post #33 of 67
Agent Smith
MTF Member

MTF Member # 94098

congrats on the new acquisition... i have about 6 hours on mine, and it's done well. the only strange thing i've encountered is every now and then it doesn't want to start from the choke position while it's cold... put it down to full throttle and it will start up though. this thing gives the loudest backfires if you hop off without the emergency brake on... my old tractor will stay running if it's in neutral, so i sometimes forget to put the brake on when hopping off to move objects. i'm going to replace the wheel bushings with bearings soon, that's something you may want to look into.
Agent Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 09:51 AM   post #34 of 67
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

Agent, know what you mean on the backfire, it's loud ! . After a couple times of these, I rechecked the operators manual to see what it said and it tells you to shut down at full throttle, did that the last 2 times I mowed and no more backfires. Does'nt make sense to me, but so far so good .
On my old L120 I would take it to idle and shut down just fine.

As an aside to this post, an update after my sixth mow now, with almost 7 hours on the clock. I have noticed very little difference since changing the blades to dedicated mulching blades from JD . Still have some places especially in taller grass where the tops of the grass is not cut well, sort of ragged and left taller than the rest. It causes me to have to go over it twice to get it cut. Not happy with that at all. Costing me alot of extra time, I cut slowly so thats not the problem .

Going to order a set of gator blades from Keeping It Green as my last resort. Will let you know how it goes after trying those .
Old 06-05-2013, 04:51 PM   post #35 of 67
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

Mowed for the 7th. time today, 7.2 hours on the clock, which reminded me I have to change the break in oil at 8 hours, so ordered a oil filter along with the new gator blades from Keeping It Green. Can't wait to get the gators and see if this cures the issue of leaving un-cut grass in spots .

On another note which new owners might keep in mind, I discovered that IF you just keep your foot on the go pedal going down hill instead of letting up on it and using the brake, the cvt transmission will maintain control of the machine. Of course though keep in mind if the hill is too steep the wheels will begin sliding and control will be lost. But for slight slopes this is a plus as you don't have to use the brake constantly which will prevent wear and tear on it .
Old 06-08-2013, 08:08 PM   post #36 of 67
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

Received the gator blades today from Keeping It Green, and the oil filter. Hoping to put these on and do an oil change Tuesday and try them out. Extended forecast is showing rain on and off, so time will tell, anxious to see if these finally end the un-cut grass in spots issue .

Old 06-11-2013, 07:42 PM   post #37 of 67
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

Did the first oil change today at 8.1 hours. Found that the oil drain tube has been extended somewhat to alleviate the oil that would run down all over the frame and deck which was the case on my old L120. Had to use a funnel with that one to stop it, but with this one it's not necessary.

As I suspected, the oil filter was a bear to get off, like a gorilla had put it on , but finally got it loose. The design there is still not great, same as previous models where if you try to take it off without something underneath the filter, you're gonna have a big mess all over the frame and deck. I remedied that situation before with the old L120 and now this D105 by using an old plastic oil container cut in half. Just leave the cap on and cut the end part in a curve to fit perfectly under the filter. Loosen the filter and the oil runs right into the container. No fuss, no muss .

Finally after the oil change completed, the only task left was to install the new gator blades.

All tasks completed and looking forward to my next mow, anxious to see if the gator blades perform as they did on my old L120, which was great .
Old 06-13-2013, 10:33 PM   post #38 of 67
jalexander4
MTF Member

MTF Member # 47450

I just bought one of these as well. Had it about a month. No issues. I was worried about the composite trans but it seems very strong. I am amazed at how quiet it is. It feels every bit as strong as any of the several dozen k46 I've had. I got out of doing tractor repair. I wanted a new mower to replace the 67 110. I have a Ingersoll 6018 for heavy work. I just wanted a new tractor I didn't have to work on. I also didn't want to spend four grand to get out of the k46 machines. Now I'm contemplating a snow blower for it. Great tractor so for.
jalexander4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 06:48 PM   post #39 of 67
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

Quote:
I also didn't want to spend four grand to get out of the k46 machines.
I hear ya, me either .

Congrats and enjoy your new ride .
Old 06-19-2013, 09:50 PM   post #40 of 67
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

First mow with the new gator blades today, must say after trying the two sets of JD blades, (the original 3 in 1 blades and the dedicated mulcher blades), I am finally pleased with the gator blades which finally produced a perfect cut on my lawn .

I would highly recommend these to anyone who desires a fine cutting blade .
Old 07-03-2013, 09:42 AM   post #41 of 67
vivithemage
MTF Member

MTF Member # 101857

Thanks for the great post Jim! Did you get the extended warranty?
vivithemage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2013, 07:16 PM   post #42 of 67
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
Thanks for the great post Jim! Did you get the extended warranty?
and no, did'nt get an extended warranty .
Old 07-13-2013, 11:34 PM   post #43 of 67
vivithemage
MTF Member

MTF Member # 101857

Neither did I ...figured replacing the CVT is cheap enough if it comes down to it!

My only question is, should I be full on stopped (IE hold the left pedal) and then put it into F/R?
vivithemage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 08:22 PM   post #44 of 67
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
Neither did I ...figured replacing the CVT is cheap enough if it comes down to it!

My only question is, should I be full on stopped (IE hold the left pedal) and then put it into F/R?
You should be stopped, yes when you want to shift. It's not necessary to hold the brake (left pedal) to shift unless you are on a slope.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:40 PM   post #45 of 67
Chris223
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 24795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon Commando View Post
Just picked up this tractor as well.

Figured I'd write up why I picked it versus the comparables in case others are searching for the same info.

I was comparing in the $1499 range, I had a Bolens 14.5hp that Lowes sells before with the "Shift-On-The-Go" (which is a lie, its a straight manual) and wanted something bigger with an automatic function.

Models in the range:

Husqvarna YTH2042 $1499 (Home/Lowes)
Cub Cadet LTX1040 $1399 (Home depot)
Craftsman (same as husky above, just red)

What I looked at but didn't rank in the top 3:
Poulan Pro: sat on one, it might have been the twin to Bolens - quality is lowest it could possibly be and that was just sitting on it.
Troy Bilt: copy of the Poulan but in black. slightly better quality but nothing like the top 3
Ariens: didn't dig much into this one, they make good snow blowers but I wanted to have compatible accessories and never seen much for Ariens tractors. Possibly made my AYP which would mean its a copy of the above two.

These are just my thoughts when comparing, I'm sure people here will have different feedback and their X model lasted X years in the worst environment, yep.

So the top 3, what made the difference:
Service: I liked the Husky, but the one thing that set JD apart was the service. I was at Lowes and asked about the tractor the day before, they had to check to make sure they had one they could sell because they have to have a local JD dealer come out, unbox and do the initial setup on the mower. That's a level of quality you just can't find with the other mowers.

Transmission: The JD D105 specifically has a new CVT transmission, which get away from the Hydrostatic which over time needs filters and can have issues, the CVT is sealed, a belt on top drives it which (from what I can tell) looks easy to replace if need be. After driving it around it doesn't have that "whine" that Hydros have and it is extremely smooth, for me Hydros have a feeling where you have to build up pressure then they kind of jerk into motion. this one just gently moves the more you press the pedal and no extra noise.

Build quality: the JD and the Husky both sat the same, both had good quality - and what I mean by this is the how the hood sits on the frame (snugness), seat quality, the controls are more than a piece of steel with a plastic ball on the end of it (ala Bolens) they both passed this mark well.

SO by now your asking what happened to Cub Cadet? Well I'm a member of consumer reports, and unfortunately they gave it a really bad rating, in fact Cub cadets entire line was given the "brand with the most service issues" and that knocked it out of the line up for me - I don't need 'more' issues, which sucks because growing up for me it had a great reputation and now its owned by MTD/AYP and they have brought it inline with the Bolens/Poulan/etc lines for quality. It's like the monster that eats competitors unfortunately.

So for now, that's that. The Service and new transmission in the 105 made me jump on it, and after 1 cut, its been awesome. Set it up for mulching and with the stock blade I can't even tell any clippings were left on the lawn.

10 out of 10.
don't wanna change topic much but I feel incase anyone who isn't real informed reads this and gets wrong information. Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt and bolens tractors are made by MTD. Ariens and Poulan tractors are made by Husqvarna and AYP no longer exists Husq is now its own company when it comes to tractor production. their models have nothing to do with mtd. Husq branded tractors imo compare similarly IMO in quality and use some of the same engines cub cadets use but the similarities pretty much end there. your bolens is a troy bilt twin not poulan pro altho poulan riders are built equally as cheap as the riding mower MTD makes under the Bolens name. I work for the blue box and while its true JD dealers do set up mowers they don't do much. the dealer we use rolls them off the crate, pulls all the protective plastic off, snaps the bumper onto the D130/170 models and asks us to pay up. back when i first started working there they took a little more pride in setting up the equipment. it has gone downhill unforunately. that said i see customers who buy john deere 100 series mowers have few problems if any at all over the first few years of ownership. i handle phone complaints seemingly daily over customers having issues with there 1,2 or 3 year old troy bilts or husqvarnas whereas I can count on one hand the amount of john deere tractor problems i've run into. quality wise for box store mowers the deeres beat everyone imo. you will pay. bit more and you're not going to get all the bells and whistles the others provide but you get better reliability for sure

Sent from the MTF Free App
- Brinly 42" Lawn Sweeper
- John Deere Single Bucket Holder
Chris223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.