New GTH2454T Limited slip? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 08-19-2006, 11:26 AM   post #1 of 16
ductune
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 3344
Question New GTH2454T Limited slip?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have a question about my new tractor.
I just bought a GTH2454T. Two different dealers told me it had a limited slip differential. First time I used it, one wheel fell in a small hole and I was stuck. It didn't transfer torque to the other wheel. I thought the price of 2199 was a little low for a tractor with this option but both dealers called their "reps" to verify as it doesn't mention it in the brochure. Does anyone know for sure if this tractor has limited slip?

Thanks, JV
ductune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2006, 11:38 AM   post #2 of 16
USN_ED
Old Fart

MTF Member # 49
Default Re: New GTH2454T Limited slip?

What does your Owner's Manual say? Go to the Husqvarna site and look up the specs for the tractor. I'd say it does not have a limited slip diff.

NEVER FORGET "The Battling Bastards of Bataan" !!! We owe them much.

MTD Yard Machines "GOLD"
Craftsman GT5000

**** MTF 5 Year Sponsor ****

Sears "Chevron Tires" SKU # 71-24167 (Two AG tires mounted on steel rims with valve stems).
USN_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2006, 12:01 PM   post #3 of 16
ductune
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by USN_ED
What does your Owner's Manual say? Go to the Husqvarna site and look up the specs for the tractor. I'd say it does not have a limited slip diff.
I checked the website before I bought. It was not very informative. The owners manual didn't mention it as well. For the price I guess I can't be too upset but I explained to the dealer before I bought it, I was only interested in "limited slip" equiped models.
Thanks for the quick reply Ed. I think you're right. It must not have it. Not likely it broke with only 1 hour on it.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:59 PM   post #4 of 16
pigsitter
the "AWOL member"

MTF Member # 1020

Doesn't limited slip still require both wheels to be in contact with the ground to function properly?I'm only mentioning this because you stated one wheel fell in a hole and I'm assuming one wheel was not contacting the ground!

My favorite song

proud to be a member since 2005 and aggravating Ken in NJ since sometime shortly thereafter

Uh Oh! someone left the gate open, pig's gone walkabout again!!

Where is everybody?
pigsitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2006, 01:01 PM   post #5 of 16
USN_ED
Old Fart

MTF Member # 49

I don't want to say that it flat-out doesn't have it as I'm not thorougly familiar with that tractor but -- "it doesn't have it". If the Owner's Manual makes no mention of it, it doesn't have it. If you have it in writing from the dealer on your sales contract that it does have it, you can take the tractor back for a refund. Normally, I'm not an advocate of just taking stuff back but if the salesman lied to ya or mislead ya, I'd go back and complain big time to him.

NEVER FORGET "The Battling Bastards of Bataan" !!! We owe them much.

MTD Yard Machines "GOLD"
Craftsman GT5000

**** MTF 5 Year Sponsor ****

Sears "Chevron Tires" SKU # 71-24167 (Two AG tires mounted on steel rims with valve stems).
USN_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2006, 11:13 AM   post #6 of 16
Olds455
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 387

The Hydro-gear website makes no mention of a limited slip diff for that model either. It sounds like the dealers were blowing smoke.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:13 PM   post #7 of 16
ductune
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 3344

Thanks Olds455, I didn't think to check the hydro-gear site. I sent them an email.

Pigsitter, I should have been more clear about my description of getting stuck.
The wheel was in more of a low spot, not an actual hole. I think you are right about both wheels needing to be in contact with the ground. They were.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:57 PM   post #8 of 16
ductune
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 3344

Just heard back from Hydro-Gear. They verified my transaxle does not have a limited slip, nor can I adapt a diff lock. Guess I'll be talking to the dealer.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:01 PM   post #9 of 16
nh_husky_driver
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 2212

Greeting all,
This is my first post, but I've been around a while reading and learning as much as I can. This place is great.

I bought a 05 Husqvarna Garden Tractor (GT2254) in the manual shift (on the saddle) in Feb of this year. And, I had to jump in on this subject.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase I made and the only reason I've had to curse at this machine is when it gets bogged down like your talking about. And it happens often!!!

All the talk about weights/traction/ag tires/chains doesn't do a thing when one wheel spins freely and the other is planted firmly on the ground.

The only solution I've come up with (if you can call it that) is to grasp the tractor by the sleeve hitch and in one motion ... Lift up and step to the right or left.... and quickly drop it before both my knees and back buckle. And let me tell you about the fun you have when the rear grader blade gets buried or hung up on a clump of dirt. I've started to run with less then half a tank of gas to save my back somewhat from the above solution.

I was thinking there must be a way to lock the axle permanently. Again, I'm new to this and learning as I go, but can't understand why the unit would designed like this. What benefit is there to an "unlocked" differential, especially in a tractor?

Does anyone have a workaround for this?
nh_husky_driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2006, 10:42 PM   post #10 of 16
Mrwiggles2
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 495

They are more concerned with turf tearing up than people actually using their GT's for GT like ground engagement.

That is one thing that is slowing me down from buying a JBjr or front plow. I'd put all the weight on and watch one wheel spin. Without cracking the case and welding the watchmacallit bevel gear or spider gears, I'm not sure how you'd do it.

You Tube Channel Link Below. Videos on my tractors, how-to and just good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrwiggles2?feature=mhee

1989 Wheel Horse 416-8 16hp Onan

1989 Wheel Horse 520-H 20hp Onan
Mrwiggles2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2006, 02:25 PM   post #11 of 16
JerryO
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 2775

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh_husky_driver
Does anyone have a workaround for this?
When I was growing up, We had individual rear wheel brakes. These were used when one wheel would spin (apply that brake).

Also the wheel brake was applyed on the inside when turning sharp. I remember seeing cables from the steering to the brakes to put the brake on every time the tractor was turned sharp.

JD 318's have individual brakes!

My bolens (1666) had individual brakes, but only 1 pedal. I thought about adding pedals so I could use the brakes for turning. It needed something as it has a listed 59 inch turning radius (that about 10 foot diameter).

I also bought goKart brakes for another mower, but never installed them.

Anyway, installing goKart brakes on each rear wheel would be a possible work around.

JerryO
JerryO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2006, 09:14 AM   post #12 of 16
Olds455
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 387

I have a racer LT. I bought a Peerless gear drive with a 1" splined axle to replace the stock 3/4" keyed axle. I got a hold of a pair of old AYP (Craftsman, Husqvarna, etc...) GT hubs and welded a motorcycle disc brake to the hubs to have actual hydraulic brakes.

The brakes are activated using the motorcycle handle with an integrated master cylinder mounted to the steering wheel. I didn't have room for a pedal on either side of the tractor, so I had to stick with the hand lever concept from the motorcycle. I don't see why you couldn't do the same but have two separate handles mounted to the dash to lock one wheel down when it starts to spin. My digital camera is busted (wife dropped it) or I would try to post a picture.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:50 AM   post #13 of 16
Dan Lovell
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 1486

I have the GT2548 and it doesn't have a limited slip on it. I wish it had. I didn't even think about when I bought it. Shame on me

Dan
Dan Lovell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2006, 03:35 AM   post #14 of 16
mbkerk
I'd rather be threshing!

MTF Member # 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh_husky_driver

I was thinking there must be a way to lock the axle permanently. Again, I'm new to this and learning as I go, but can't understand why the unit would designed like this. What benefit is there to an "unlocked" differential, especially in a tractor?
First off nh_husky_driver!

Now... You don't want to do what you are suggesting above, unless you never want to turn a corner again! If the back wheels can't spin at different speeds, you go straight!

Diff locks are nice, but add expense to the tractor. Under normal conditions, i.e. mowing, you should be able to get by without it.

Limited slip would be nice, but also a big expense.

I think the best bet is to add weight, and ag tires if traction continues to be a problem for you. If this does not do the trick, it is probably time to trade up to a CUT where you would have a diff lock, and individual wheel brakes.

Good luck!

Fargo, ND

Where are you from? VOTE HERE! To represent your state!

2004 Craftsman GT 5000 1962 Cub Cadet 1944 John Deere B 1954 John Deere R Diesel
1945 VAI Case 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 / Cummins 24V
mbkerk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2006, 11:19 AM   post #15 of 16
nh_husky_driver
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 2212

Duh! I guess that makes sense, that part about
Quote:
"If the back wheels can't spin at different speeds, you go straight!"
I'm not sure traction is the issue in my case. I went with the garden tractor to help clear and level my land (as I just moved out to the sticks). Lots of rocks, construction junk, and stumps (from saplings to the huge & fug-ly monster pines). I'm slowly working my way through it by hand, pulling the stumps and moving rocks.

I then rig up the rear grader blade, hop on the tractor and do my best to level the land around the craters left from that stuff. At low speeds the tractor often gets stuck whenever either wheel hits a low spot.

If I crank up the speed I don't get stuck as often, but the trade off is that when the grader blade gets hung up, it's a jolt like you wouldn't belive (I need an air bag!).

As said, i'm learning as I go and I'm gaining a technique. Biting off smaller chunks and slowly circiling low spots. I've lost 3 clevis bolts from the sleeve hitch in the dirt : (
So, I got some solid 3/4 in nuts and bolts and replaced the Clevis bolt/cotter pin setup. Those bolts ended up vibrating loose!!!
So I tightened them down (only so they were sort of snug) and sealed up the end with some liquid steel from wal-mart. Haven't had a problem since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tractor_cart.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	13433  
nh_husky_driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.