Troy-Bilt Won't start??? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 07-23-2006, 04:46 PM   post #1 of 20
NoTractor Knowhow
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 2996
Default Troy-Bilt Won't start???

Hi I have a Troy-Bilt Lawn tractor with a Vanguard 15.5 Hydro B&S Engine. Had a couple of issues starting last year kind of off and on but would start. This year I charged the battery and bought a new battery charger to make sure it wasn't that. I hear it click when I turn the key to the on position. Then I hear a click near the solenoid (only guessing it's the solenoid) as I turn the key and that's it. Starter doesn't even make an attempt at starting. Could it be the starter? And how can I check that? Brake kill is fine (tried starting with it not engaged and I get a light. Not sure about the seat kill but I did try starting it with a wire jumped from one socket to the other. Have tightened the starter nut. I'm not sure what else I can do??? Any help would be great!
NoTractor Knowhow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2006, 02:03 AM   post #2 of 20
bontai Joe
Citizen of Earth

MTF Member # 51
Default Re: Troy-Bilt Won't start???

I don't have any real good suggestions, other than to double check all the wiring for loose connections, especially the ground wire from the battery to the frame. And at least I bumped it up for others to see again.

ALWAYS remember to remove the spark plug wire from the plug before sticking your hand in the machine!!!! The fingers you save could be your own.
bontai Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 02:40 AM   post #3 of 20
RED-85-Z51
Certified Technician

MTF Member # 2950

Check your battery connections, at both posts.

Then check the connections at the solenoid. The solenoid on a Troybilt is under the seat, at least it has been on most Ive worked on. Wiggle and clean both posts on the solenoid. Then try it again.

If it still persists in not starting, id run a small gauge wire from the hot post of the battery, down to the starter itself, and just touch it to the starter post. if it tries to start, you have a break in the wire bewteen the solenoid and the starter, or a bad solenoid. If it doesnt try to start, you either have a bad ground to the frame fro mthe negative battery post, or a bad starter.

The first little click you hear is likely the fuel solenoid o nthe carb releasing, the 2nd louder slick should be the starter solenoid. If the mower hasd electric PTO, make sure it is off.

tommy-
RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 01:36 PM   post #4 of 20
NoTractor Knowhow
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 2996

Ok here's where I am. Thanks alot for the help Tommy!!!! I've cleaned the Neg. post and wire terminal at the battery and at the point it grounds to the engine. I cleaned all positive connections also. When I touch the Pos post of the battery to the starter post and it starts to turn the engine(didn't leave it on long sparks welding and all that good stuff). So I'm guessing the starter is ok. So I guess that leaves the ignition and solenoid. I've pulled what I think is the solenoid(2 posts one connects to the Neg. battery post the other to the starter post)? I'm going to see if I can find one of these to buy and replace. If you have any other ideas please let me know! And again thank you so much for the Help!!
*EDIT*
Found more info on the part I pulled and it is a Solenoid. It's a CAMDEC CORP Torque Max 12V/50% 94265 SM 15 IN - LBS LG 36 IN - LBS 03/12/1998
I found these online and was wondering if it is the same? If not where would I go to get a part like this? http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...SOLENOID_.html
Don

Last edited by NoTractor Knowhow; 07-24-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:14 PM   post #5 of 20
lt230s
I'll never get to 10,000

MTF Member # 1012

Don,
Try any Auto parts dealer as they may be able to match it up for you or local small engine/tractor dealer may have them in stock. Good luck & let us know how youmade out.
'72 JD 110 w/ 39 mower, 43 blade, 37A blower
'69 JD 112H waiting patiently to come back to life
lt230s is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 03:19 PM   post #6 of 20
RED-85-Z51
Certified Technician

MTF Member # 2950

I used to use Solenoids off of Fords...they take alot more punishment...

This is basically how the starting system works.

You have a starter, grounded to the engine, and therefore the Frame, thusly the Negative battery post.

You turn the key switch, and it sends a low amperage 12v current to the Solenoid. The solenoid then completes an internal circuit.
The circuit starts at the battery, runs to 1 side of the solenoid Then from the solenoid to the starter.

If you hear a CLICK, the internal switch is working, and either there is a failure internally, or there is a problem between the solenoid and the starter.

One way to check is to touch the 2 wires that go o nthe solenoid together. If the engine cranks, it is the solenoid.

If there was no click, it could be any of the safety switches, key switch, or solenoid itself.

If there was no click, you would have to go pickup a circuit light tester, makes trouble shooting a startingt system easy. Just start at the battery, and make your way to the starter, see where the power stops.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:26 PM   post #7 of 20
dyt4000
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 109

The Wells part number for that soleniod is F496 and it looks like this...

dyt4000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2006, 04:36 PM   post #8 of 20
NoTractor Knowhow
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 2996

Ok here's where I'm at now. Replaced the solenoid (I ended up getting a John Deer solenoid for the price of the generic) but still not the problem. So I went to take the starter off to have a look at it and while removing the nut from the starter bolt the whole piece came out. Bolt, nut and the plastic that was holding it in??? Now I'm not sure if this has been my problem all along or if this is new. So I'm heading back to the tractor parts store today and am buying a new starter. If they have the aftermarket one it's 80 bucks if not they have the OEM and it's gonna be 200! Oh well I'll be looking for a used one if that is the case hehe (it's only 110 from briggs website). Anyhoot that's where I stand and I'll keep you guys posted! Again thanks for all your help!!!! Man I love forums!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 05:35 PM   post #9 of 20
RED-85-Z51
Certified Technician

MTF Member # 2950

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTractor Knowhow
Ok here's where I'm at now. Replaced the solenoid (I ended up getting a John Deer solenoid for the price of the generic) but still not the problem. So I went to take the starter off to have a look at it and while removing the nut from the starter bolt the whole piece came out. Bolt, nut and the plastic that was holding it in??? Now I'm not sure if this has been my problem all along or if this is new. So I'm heading back to the tractor parts store today and am buying a new starter. If they have the aftermarket one it's 80 bucks if not they have the OEM and it's gonna be 200! Oh well I'll be looking for a used one if that is the case hehe (it's only 110 from briggs website). Anyhoot that's where I stand and I'll keep you guys posted! Again thanks for all your help!!!! Man I love forums!!!

Why not just replace the plastic end cap? I do it all the time. Your nut backs off a little and the bolt gets hot and the plastic gets brittle, and you go to take the nut off and it pops the whole stud out.

Ive just replaced the end cap on most of em.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:37 PM   post #10 of 20
RED-85-Z51
Certified Technician

MTF Member # 2950

Also, you said that you got the starter to turn over when you aplied power to it. I doubt that was the problem.

It's either going to work, or not work.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:43 PM   post #11 of 20
NoTractor Knowhow
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 2996

Yes true when I tried jumping the solenoid pos. terminal to starter terminal it did try to turn over. But today while trying out the new solenoid I was checking the starter to see how easy it would be to take off and noticed that the starter was very hot??? This lead me to think that mabey the starter was bad? Would the starter heat up if no power was going to it? I also noticed while attempting to start the mower the new solenoid made a whinning noise??? and the wire running from the pos. terminal to the solenoid was heating up. Not sure if that means anything?
Old 07-27-2006, 12:54 PM   post #12 of 20
NoTractor Knowhow
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 2996

Ok I installed the new starter today. Good point with the bottom cap I should have tried to find one those are only 14 bucks at the briggs site. So either the solenoid was bad and while I was tightning everything up pre new solenoid I damaged the starter. Or the starter bolt was cracked already and while pushing on it with the wire and trying to jump it I could get it to make connection??? But the tractor started today without any flaws after installing the new starter. So I want to thank everyone for there help I'm glad knowledgable people are out on the internet like you folks. Makes life just a little easier!! Thanks again and I"m sure I'll be back LOL!
Old 07-27-2006, 01:38 PM   post #13 of 20
bontai Joe
Citizen of Earth

MTF Member # 51

Glad to hear that you got it running. I love a happy ending!

ALWAYS remember to remove the spark plug wire from the plug before sticking your hand in the machine!!!! The fingers you save could be your own.
bontai Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2006, 01:50 PM   post #14 of 20
RED-85-Z51
Certified Technician

MTF Member # 2950

Keep the old starter, as it still has a good case and magnets, as well as a good gear and bendix.

Glad you got it going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 08:13 PM   post #15 of 20
Scott.t
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 77079

I am having a similar problem. I just bought a troy bilt model number 188392. I just put a new battery with 350 cranking amps. When I turn the key the hour meter turn on and I hear the click in the carb solenoid. When I go to start nothing happens. THe starter solenoid looks new. I dont hear it click over though. It is a 3 post solenoid, 1 from the batter, 1 to the starter, and a small wire off of the ignition I am assuming. If I jump the battery to starter on the solenoid it tries to turn over but stops when it hits the compression stroke. If I pull the spark plug out it turns over pretty good. So I am assuming I have a couple problems here, I may need a new starter solenoid, and either the starter is too weak or the compression is too much? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Scott.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.