Flashing LED landscape lights - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 PM   post #1 of 11
BUDSVTX
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 23079
Default Flashing LED landscape lights

My LED landscape light started flashing. I changed the transformer to one that does not have dusk to dawn function to insure that was not the problem.
It still does it with the new transformer, any ideas?

BUD
BUDSVTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 07:46 PM   post #2 of 11
PA318Guy
Ole man winter is gone!!!

MTF Member # 31960
Garage
Default Re: Flashing LED landscape lights

Possibly condensation, dirt or a partial obstruction on the sensor?

Current Machine JD 322

Former Machines: JD 318, JD 216, JD 212, 1965 JD 110

My videos: www.youtube.com/user/tkelley16341
PA318Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 08:01 PM   post #3 of 11
buffy12590
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 31683

What is flashing the lights or led on the transformer? Does the transformer have a digital display? Are the flashes steady or in a sequence like three flashes on and a pause. Could be an error code? Did you check the output voltage and input voltage at the outlet. Do the lights in the yard still work?
buffy12590 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 07:42 AM   post #4 of 11
BUDSVTX
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 23079

More info. The lights flash on/off, the transformer does not have any digital displays. No sequence, but it steady ON pause OFF, ON pause OFF. Doesn't have a display for codes. Input voltage AC house power 110-125 Volts AC, transformer output is 12 Volts DC. The light do work, but they flash on, off, on??? thanks for the help. Any other checks I can do to fix this problem.

BUD
Old 04-04-2013, 08:27 AM   post #5 of 11
buffy12590
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 31683

Is the flashing a steady flash or they are on for a period flash off, then on again for a period then off again with a same type of sequence or are they on for a while then flash off then on for a different length of time then flash off again? In other words is there a common sequence or just random. Where is the light sensor in relation to the yard lights. Did you do any changes to this system or was this a new install. Reason is that the light sensor used to determine ambient brightness will react to the yard lights turning on and there fore think it is light enough to turn the lights off, then it determines the brightness is low and turn the lights on again. A vicious circle of confusion for the sensor. Try putting black tape over the sensor and see if the flashing stops.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM   post #6 of 11
BUDSVTX
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 23079

The LED lights are on for a few seconds, then off for a few seconds, then back on for a few seconds, then off for few seconds, then I unplug the power cord. Appears the sequence is regular with about the same amount of on time as off time. The transformer does not have a light sensor and is in the dark all the time under the house, wrapped in 3M black electrical tape and is in a plastic Tubberware container to keep it as dry as possible. Input voltage 125VAC, output voltage 12 VDC.

BUD
Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 PM   post #7 of 11
buffy12590
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 31683

What about install? new or old setup that has run for years and just started acting this way. Did you replace any leds recently? How are the leds mounted to a bayonet mount bulb or some other configuration?
Old 04-04-2013, 03:37 PM   post #8 of 11
Steamguy
Make Smoke, Boil Water!

Location: In the windy Columbia Gorge area of Washington, the state
MTF Member # 6690

Almost sounds like one of them is shorted or something, but not shorted hard enough to kill the string entirely. Some transformers have a little thermal circuit breaker, it works like the flasher in a car: enough current and the breaker opens, then after it cools off for a few seconds, it closes again.

Are ALL of them on? Any of them not working? Any of them have water inside? That's where I'd go next for a suspect...

Always do the right thing; not because it's easy, but because it's harder.

It's always a pleasure to work with good tools and the BX2370 is amazing!

My blog. I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 PM   post #9 of 11
BUDSVTX
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 23079

I installed them about 2 years, ago operated without any issues for 2 years. I have not replaced any of the bulbs. The bulbs are small round (11/2" diameter) printed circut boards with 1 small LED light in the middle of the board with the 2 12 VDC wires soldered to the board.

Thanks for the help

BUD
Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 PM   post #10 of 11
buffy12590
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 31683

Well since we have a baseline now to work from, remove the bulb from the first light in the string and see if it changes the flashing or stops it all together. If no change, leave the bulb out and move to the next. Do the same remove the bulb and move to the next. Follow this all the way to the end where there will be no bulbs in the string. Then go back to the first bulb and reinsert it. Does it work right or start flashing. If it works move to the next and reinsert the bulb. If it works continue down the string. If however somewhere along the line you find that when inserted the lights flash, replace that bulb with a new one. You may have one or more bulbs that are your problem. Perhaps a voltage spike, never know but by doing this procedure you are isolating both the socket and bulb/circuit at each point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 11:52 AM   post #11 of 11
BUDSVTX
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 23079

THANK YOU ALL for all the help in repairing my lights. I did what everyone suggested and it was more than 1 problem. Disconnected the lights, one a time, last one still flashing. Next I went to the splice where I had to add more wire. Found the wires were wet and had green material growing on the exposed copper. I made a new connection, soldered the connection, and covered it with heat shrink. Hooked up the lights and still flashing. Disconnected and reconnected each light until the flashing stopped and the rest of the stayed on. I had 1 bad light that I could not get to light, every time I connected it, all of then would flash. Replaced that light and everything works. On last light, the wire broke off from the connector, so I cut the connector off and soldered that light and everything works.

Thank You for all the help

BUD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.