Brush Grubber with a Deere - Page 4 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 PM   post #46 of 126
KWDAILYD
4K poster and climbing

Default Re: Brush Grubber with a Deere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostaman View Post
You're right, I may give the pallet forks a try. If I clamp them on real tight and keep the chain right close to the bucket, maybe even in the clamp it might work.
Clamp it close to the side of the bucket for more strength.
2012 JD X729, 62C deck, 45 loader, 54" front blade, Quick Hitch, Cat 1 3PH, Heavy Hitch. Heavy Hitch Forks. Heavy Hitch Sub Soil Ripper. Heavy Hitch sleeve hitch. 6 JD suitcase weights. 2-50# cast rear wheel weights.

Thread for 110 RF build http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=287161

1966 JD 110 RF, 580 TracVac, Home built log splitter, Stihl MS260 Chain Saw,
Stihl BG85 Leaf Blower, Echo GT2400 Weed Whacker, 20KW Generac standby generator.
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 PM   post #47 of 126
Hostaman
...and Buddy The Dog

MTF Member # 75709

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWDAILYD View Post
Clamp it close to the side of the bucket for more strength.
Good advice, thanks.

Floyd R. Turbo, American
JOHN DEERE X729 (2012)
54" Deck, 45 Loader, JD Cat 1 3PH, JD 18 CuFt Cart, JD 25 Gal Sprayer, JD 48" Core Aerator, Custom Heavy Hitch, *TOMBSTONE Ballast Slab, Six Suitcase Weights, Fluid Filled HDAPs on Stock Wheels, Cast Wheel Weights, Turfs on SE Wheels, SE Seat, Brush Guard
*named by PA318Guy
Hostaman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 01:13 AM   post #48 of 126
rockford
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 26868
Thumbs up Re: Brush Grubber with a Deere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa2002 View Post
If you are pulling up small stuff, get the small grubber chain! I have both, but the grubber chain is a beast.

Jon
Thanks, I've been waiting to see if anyone had used the chain. I'm gonna order me one for stuff too small for the grubber.
rockford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 07:39 AM   post #49 of 126
Tulkas
MTF Member

MTF Member # 76714

Quote:
I'm not too happy with the "Tombstone" tonight, had to pick it up to get some measurements and I'm hurting. I've got to find a better way to handle it.
I drop my ballast box down on a movers dolly, they will hold 1000 lbs. then I can just wheel the box around the garage to where I store it when I have the BH on.
Tulkas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 AM   post #50 of 126
Ransx77
MTF Member

MTF Member # 82701

I'm planning on using a grabber to pull the buried broken end of fence posts from the ground so I can get a new one in with minimal digging. I have a boom pole and also Ken's Bolt on Hook's on the FEL and a set on the JDQH Forks.
Tow Behind: Trac-Vac 880, 15 year old Ohio Steel Trailer (begging for a JD green paint job)
Stihl: MS180CB-E; MS391; HT101; FS110; HS81T; SR360
Bees, Chickens, Maremmas, and Corgis.
Ransx77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 AM   post #51 of 126
gman2304
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 29419

I've been using a heavy logging chain wrapped tightly around the base of shrubs and small trees. My 332 pulls them out with very little effort. If I had a lot to do I could see how the grubber would do a good job and be easier to work with.
gman2304 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 02:52 PM   post #52 of 126
Hostaman
...and Buddy The Dog

MTF Member # 75709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransx77 View Post
I'm planning on using a grabber to pull the buried broken end of fence posts from the ground so I can get a new one in with minimal digging. I have a boom pole and also Ken's Bolt on Hook's on the FEL and a set on the JDQH Forks.
Just ordered two bolt on hooks, thanks for the link>

Floyd R. Turbo, American
JOHN DEERE X729 (2012)
54" Deck, 45 Loader, JD Cat 1 3PH, JD 18 CuFt Cart, JD 25 Gal Sprayer, JD 48" Core Aerator, Custom Heavy Hitch, *TOMBSTONE Ballast Slab, Six Suitcase Weights, Fluid Filled HDAPs on Stock Wheels, Cast Wheel Weights, Turfs on SE Wheels, SE Seat, Brush Guard
*named by PA318Guy
Old 02-20-2013, 03:00 PM   post #53 of 126
Hostaman
...and Buddy The Dog

MTF Member # 75709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post
I drop my ballast box down on a movers dolly, they will hold 1000 lbs. then I can just wheel the box around the garage to where I store it when I have the BH on.
Thanks for the suggestion. I too have a dolly however two pins protrude down from the bottom of the TOMBSTONE and extend through the flange that was welded onto my BB. This was a classic case of over-execution because I didn't want the TOMBSTONE to move around on the the back of the BB. Fact is, at 175 lbs it is not going to come off. I have now installed an overhead electric hoist to pick it up while I set the BB onto the dolly.

Floyd R. Turbo, American
JOHN DEERE X729 (2012)
*named by PA318Guy
Old 02-20-2013, 05:26 PM   post #54 of 126
Hostaman
...and Buddy The Dog

MTF Member # 75709

Quote:
Just received an email from Ken at Kens Bolt on Hook's. He will be shipping my hooks out tomorrow. This is something that I've been wanting on my FEL all along. I see the hooks being very useful for many things including using the Brush Grubber. Thanks again for the link.

Floyd R. Turbo, American
JOHN DEERE X729 (2012)
*named by PA318Guy
Old 02-20-2013, 05:37 PM   post #55 of 126
Ransx77
MTF Member

MTF Member # 82701

My pleasure. I have to tell you, working with Ken is amazing. He will do anything he can to help you out. I just finished painting mine green, will be mounting them this weekend.
Randy
Tow Behind: Trac-Vac 880, 15 year old Ohio Steel Trailer (begging for a JD green paint job)
Stihl: MS180CB-E; MS391; HT101; FS110; HS81T; SR360
Bees, Chickens, Maremmas, and Corgis.
Ransx77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 06:15 PM   post #56 of 126
SilverGhost
"The Shadow Knows"

Location: Northern Virginia 20 miles from Scenic Skyline Drive
MTF Member # 69214

You folks have me all excited about the Brush Grubber. In the Norther Virginia Piedmont, we are being attacked by an extremely invasive bush call the Autumn Olive. They will take over your entire property if not addressed. They grow up to 20 feet tall, and 4" in diameter. If you cut them down, or burn them, they come back with a vengeance. Once they leaf, they grow 4" thorns along the branches, so you can't get near them.

I had hundreds before I tackled them one winter. I cut them down, small ones with a lopper, larger ones with a chain saw, then coated the stumps with the strongest stump killer I could find. They came right back. They grow a sweet berry in the spring which are eaten by birds, then spread from bird droppings. When they came back, I cut them again and this time sprayed the stumps with Roundup. It killed some, some came back. Every time I see new leaves on the stumps, I spray Roundup. This is slowly killing them off.

I have too many mature trees to get to them with a Bobcat, as one neighbor did. As soon as I saw this thread, and read the posts, I went to Amazon and ordered one. I think the roots are fairly shallow, so am expecting the X500 to pop them out of the ground. The ground is soaked from steady rains all winter, so that will help.

The Brush Grabber arrives Friday. The first day of no rain, I'm starting. At this point I have dozens to pull up, not hundreds. Wish me luck................

Oh, and once again - Thank You all for providing another way I can get some seat time on my John Deere!
Tilt Trailer
25 gal. spot Sprayer
Agri-Fab plug aerator and tine aerator
Precision Products 130 lb tow broadcast spreader
Stihl Ms250 chain saw
Echo PB25 leaf blower & SRM225 string trimmer
Generac 7500w backup generator

100 lb. German Shepherd "Shadow"
2000 Harley Davidson Road King
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 PM   post #57 of 126
kennyd
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 50540

Quote:
Thanks for the referral!

Quote:
Just ordered two bolt on hooks, thanks for the link>
Thanks for the order!
FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks,I-Match, Ballast Box, #380 plow (modified to fit), Markham LD-48 Grapple, Trac-Vac 854 and lots of other STUFF.

John Deere 4x2 Turf Gator

View some of my projects/adventures in my Picasa Album

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Also check out www.greentractortalk.com
kennyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 PM   post #58 of 126
Hostaman
...and Buddy The Dog

MTF Member # 75709

Well Ken, I'm even happier to learn that the fine product that I have purchased is provided by a fellow MTF Poster. I can't wait to get them painted and installed. If I can find the dog and get the camera back I will post some pics.

Floyd R. Turbo, American
JOHN DEERE X729 (2012)
*named by PA318Guy
Old 02-20-2013, 07:40 PM   post #59 of 126
Hostaman
...and Buddy The Dog

MTF Member # 75709

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
The Brush Grabber arrives Friday. The first day of no rain, I'm starting. At this point I have dozens to pull up, not hundreds. Wish me luck................
Think about using something to help with the upward tension on the bush. Some have spoken of a wheel, empty propane tank, something like that. The section of pipe that I used worked great. The Brush Grubber UTube video shows the tree being pulled from about 3 feet above the ground and seemed to work as well. Sounds like you've got plenty of practice ahead of you so be sure to let us know what nets the best results.

Floyd R. Turbo, American
JOHN DEERE X729 (2012)
*named by PA318Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 PM   post #60 of 126
KWDAILYD
4K poster and climbing

Quote:
Just received an email from Ken at Kens Bolt on Hook's. He will be shipping my hooks out tomorrow. This is something that I've been wanting on my FEL all along. I see the hooks being very useful for many things including using the Brush Grubber. Thanks again for the link.
Everytime you get on here you spen money!
2012 JD X729, 62C deck, 45 loader, 54" front blade, Quick Hitch, Cat 1 3PH, Heavy Hitch. Heavy Hitch Forks. Heavy Hitch Sub Soil Ripper. Heavy Hitch sleeve hitch. 6 JD suitcase weights. 2-50# cast rear wheel weights.

Thread for 110 RF build http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=287161

1966 JD 110 RF, 580 TracVac, Home built log splitter, Stihl MS260 Chain Saw,
Stihl BG85 Leaf Blower, Echo GT2400 Weed Whacker, 20KW Generac standby generator.
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.