Craftsman Snowblower Surging/Hunting & Running Rough - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Snow Removal Equipment Winter snow throwing, plowing, and removal forum. From snow blowers to snow shovels, you'll find them here.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 PM   post #1 of 13
Shoey
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 77635
Default Craftsman Snowblower Surging/Hunting & Running Rough

I am working Craftsman 536.887990 Snowblower. It has a Sears (Tecumseh) engine 143.029003. It starts easily with one push of the primer and one good pull on the starter rope but quickly begins to surge. Turning the choke back to partially on makes the surging less extreme but still very noticeable. It won't idle very slow without dying. I cleaned the carburetor and it still didn't work so I bought the rebuild kit and replaced even the welch plugs to no avail. I even tried a known good carburetor and it still surges like it did before. It has fresh gas with Stabil in it and I have tried several different sparkplugs. I have tried to hold the governor rod while it was running and it didn't surge as much but instead sputtered and died. Took the muffler off, it is not clogged. This snowblower is only a few years old so I wouldn't suspect any valve problems or the engine to be filled with carbon deposits. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 PM   post #2 of 13
greenbud21
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 77940
Default Re: Craftsman Snowblower Surging/Hunting & Running Rough

If the fly wheel is easy to met to its always a good idea to check the rust has not built up in the ignition coil. See this alot in the spring on lawn tractor up north here
greenbud21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 PM   post #3 of 13
mla2ofus
Old Stonebreaker

MTF Member # 138

Sounds like an intake valve sticking enough so it's not quite seating completely.
Mike
mla2ofus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 PM   post #4 of 13
THH2079
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 73222

Some of that is normal, I have a 6 year old Techumseh 8HP that does that till you put it under load. Then it runs great and throws snow to the neighbors house 50 feet away. I've seen posts on here and other places that have said that that is just normal operation of that particular year of machine.
THH2079 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 PM   post #5 of 13
Shoey
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 77635

Thanks for all of the advice. I am starting to think that the problem is with the valves also. I thought maybe the surging was just a part of normal operation and poor design too, but the surging just started recently and I think it is too severe to be normal because I can't idle the engine much less than full throttle without it dying. I guess I will be taking a look at the valves and while I'm at it, the flywheel for rust. Any other thoughts?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:03 PM   post #6 of 13
mikeinri
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 62115

Are you getting good fuel flow to the carb? Is the tank clean inside, is there a screen (and is it plugged)? Is there a fuel cutoff valve, and it is opening properly and unobstructed from debris? Is there a fuel filter, and is it clean? Are the fuel lines clean and not shedding inside?

Just thinking of simple things before you rip it open.

Mike
mikeinri is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 PM   post #7 of 13
THH2079
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 73222

I also had a snowblower I worked on last year that would idle fine, but when you tried to put it under load, any load, it would die. I pulled my hair out over that one and did internet research like crazy. Finally opened up the head, cleaned all the crap off the valves, relaped and adjusted the valve clearances and it worked splendid. Take the time to clean up the head and put on a new gasket while your at it.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:51 PM   post #8 of 13
Shoey
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 77635

Sounds like a plan. I will check out all of those things. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:39 PM   post #9 of 13
Shoey
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 77635

I opened up the engine and found that the valves had no clearance. I ground the valves shorter so that there was a proper clearance. I also cleaned them and the cylinder head and replaced the cylinder head gasket. It still surges and I think it may run even worse than before. I think I will just have to put it back together and give it back to the guy.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:17 PM   post #10 of 13
THH2079
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 73222

Did you lap the valves? Tighten head bolts to spec? Fine tune carb now that you played with the innards?

Just some additional suggestions. When I did mine I cleaned all the gunk off the valves, lapped them, ground them and adjusted for proper clearance then put it all back together with new gaskets and torqued the head for proper tightness and did a final carb adjustment.

Good Luck!

Todd
Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 PM   post #11 of 13
rscurtis
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 25367

Most likely, the idle circuit in the carb. is clogged. The fact that it responds to partial choking vindicates the valves or ignition system. This is a very common snowblower ailment.
rscurtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 04:39 PM   post #12 of 13
Shoey
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 77635

I did not lap the valves but I did thoroughly clean the valves and seats. I tightened the head bolts to spec. I did find a replacement motor for the guy's snow blower but I am keeping the old engine and would like to get it working. One thing I didn't look at was to see if the flywheel key was sheared. I wouldn't think to check that on a snow blower since sheared keys seem more like a lawnmower thing, but I will look at that anyways. I am a little suspicious of the exhaust valve as it looks like it is not seating on the correct part of the valve. It is seating more on the non angled part so that may be the problem too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 02:53 PM   post #13 of 13
Shoey
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 77635

Woo! It is finally running! Culprit: not enough gas in the tank. For testing purposes, I only filled the tank just so the bottom was covered, I decided to fill up the tank about 1/3 of the way and started it, adjusted the carb and now it runs like a dream. It must have good compression and a heavy flywheel because I was able to get it to idle at like 600 rpm. Amazing! Thanks for all your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.