Things you wish the new neighbors wouldn't do. - Page 5 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

My Place Pics and stories about your home and property

Old 01-05-2013, 08:58 AM   post #61 of 75
KWDAILYD
4K poster and climbing

Default Re: Things you wish the new neighbors wouldn't do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF283 View Post
Great thread here, we've lived on a dead end road for 30 plus years. At the beginning, there was one house across from us & one towards the dead end.
Fast forward a few years & there are 6 houses scattered along our 3/4 mile road. Thankfully, my land covers a lot of it & the farm behind me & one side is just that, FARM.
Most of the stories here remind me of some of the things i have seen, could add a few.
The one gripe i have more than anything, street light's, thank goodness they're on the other side of the road, whoever heard of street light's in the country

Ronnie
I would bet one of your new neighbors complained till they got the street light installed. If it was a developer that built the new houses sometimes the local gov. makes them add the street lights to their plans, that's how it usually worked around here anyway. I worked for an electrical contractor for 35 years and the last 15 yrs. I ran the dept. that installed and maintained traffic signals and roadway lighting.
2012 JD X729, 62C deck, 54" front blade, Quick Hitch, Cat 1 3PH, Buford FEL with forks and tooth bar and bucket extender for mulch, Heavy Hitch.Heavy Hitch Forks. Heavy Hitch Sub Soil Ripper. Heavy Hitch sleeve hitch. County Line Boom Pole. 6 JD suitcase weights. 2-50# cast rear wheel weights.

thread for 110 RF build http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=287161

Just call me Larry

1966 JD 110 RF
580 TracVac
Home built log splitter
Stihl MS260 Chain Saw
Stihl BG85 Leaf Blower
Echo GT2400 Weed Whacker
20KW Generac standby generator.
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 AM   post #62 of 75
hodge
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 52532

We live in the mountains, with no neighbors to speak of. About 2 years ago, though, a budding science fiction writer moved into the next house up from us (about 1/4 mile). We hadn't met him, or knew that he was living there; my wife came home one day, and found him wandering around on our property, drunk. He approached her, and told her that we had a sick donkey and HAD to do something about it. The donkey wasn't sick- my father and daughter had just left with two of our horses to go trail riding, and Ezra didn't like being left behind. He was braying, not sick. The wife asked him to leave, which he finally did, but not before ranting and raving for about 10 minutes. It really spooked and upset her (at one point, he had asked her if "she thought I am an ax murderer or rapist"- not something to say to build confidence in a stranger. I rushed home, but he was already gone. He did give her is name, address, and phone number, so that I could call and discuss the donkey.
One of the horse owners that boards at our place is a police officer (not our area), so that evening, I asked his opinion. He suggested that I send the guy a certified letter declaring the he would be restricted from entering our property, which I did. Two days later, the guy called, apologizing profusely. He admitted that he had a drinking problem (I used to be a drunk, but I now drink because I enjoy it, he said). He has since moved away.
He had a Murray rider, which he would drive to a local convenience store, about 5 miles away. You can probably guess that he was making a beer run. One day, on his way back, he noticed that the grass was being mowed at a local church. He stopped, put his beer on the parking lot, and helped them mow. He felt it was his good deed for the day.
Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
hodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 12:14 PM   post #63 of 75
KWDAILYD
4K poster and climbing

That's a funny story although I'm sure a bit scary for your wife. I'll bet you are glad he's gone. I have always tried to be a good neighbor when I would see a neighbor struggling otherwise I stay out of their business. I live in a rural area with farm land all around except for the 25 houses in our little area that were built in the late 70's. All are an acre or more properties and we all get along. My neighbors all know what I have and they know if they need help they can ask or if I see they need help I will volunteer and they do the same.
2012 JD X729, 62C deck, 54" front blade, Quick Hitch, Cat 1 3PH, Buford FEL with forks and tooth bar and bucket extender for mulch, Heavy Hitch.Heavy Hitch Forks. Heavy Hitch Sub Soil Ripper. Heavy Hitch sleeve hitch. County Line Boom Pole. 6 JD suitcase weights. 2-50# cast rear wheel weights.

Just call me Larry

1966 JD 110 RF
580 TracVac
Home built log splitter
Stihl MS260 Chain Saw
Stihl BG85 Leaf Blower
Echo GT2400 Weed Whacker
Old 01-05-2013, 12:25 PM   post #64 of 75
hodge

MTF Member # 52532

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWDAILYD View Post
That's a funny story although I'm sure a bit scary for your wife. I'll bet you are glad he's gone. I have always tried to be a good neighbor when I would see a neighbor struggling otherwise I stay out of their business. I live in a rural area with farm land all around except for the 25 houses in our little area that were built in the late 70's. All are an acre or more properties and we all get along. My neighbors all know what I have and they know if they need help they can ask or if I see they need help I will volunteer and they do the same.
Once we had it understood that we didn't want to be bad neighbors, we just wanted him to respect our property, all was fine. He would stop on his way to the store and chat for a long time. Then one day, we stopped hearing from him, and later on, they moved. Who knows. I suspect that he was troubled (based on the drinking and some statements that he made).
Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 PM   post #65 of 75
KWDAILYD
4K poster and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodge View Post
Once we had it understood that we didn't want to be bad neighbors, we just wanted him to respect our property, all was fine. He would stop on his way to the store and chat for a long time. Then one day, we stopped hearing from him, and later on, they moved. Who knows. I suspect that he was troubled (based on the drinking and some statements that he made).
That's too bad. Based on your qoute at the bottom of your posts it's too bad you didn't get a chance to have more time and maybe lead him in the right direction!

Just call me Larry

1966 JD 110 RF
580 TracVac
Home built log splitter
Stihl MS260 Chain Saw
Stihl BG85 Leaf Blower
Echo GT2400 Weed Whacker
Old 01-05-2013, 12:35 PM   post #66 of 75
hodge

MTF Member # 52532

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWDAILYD View Post
That's too bad. Based on your qoute at the bottom of your posts it's too bad you didn't get a chance to have more time and maybe lead him in the right direction!
We did have some good talks during the short time that I spent with him. He was very proud of being from California and was a student of progressive thinking and comparitive religions. I was open with how I believe, because he asked.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:40 PM   post #67 of 75
larrybl
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 37470
Garage

Well, as for my neighbors, I wish I knew what they were doing. http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=254860 My Wife has dubed them the "Field People". Constant heavy machinery running every day. They are now directly across the road from my place. I'll be updateing my thread above this weekend..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070609.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	242934   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070610.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	242935  
larrybl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 01:07 PM   post #68 of 75
bbuckler
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 67793

I bet there a lot of things my neighbor's wish I didn't do
bbuckler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 02:49 PM   post #69 of 75
JD Dude
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 55209

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeere View Post
The old Batts would find out real fast what they could do with there association.If I ever lost my marbles and decided I wanted to move to town and be a Yuppie.I would make it my Hobby to mess with them.

First thing I would do would be to plant a flower bed full of Dandelions and Wild Canadian thistles.

Second I would take off the garage door and toss it in the middle of the front yard.Then I would paint the gutters hot pink.

Then I would buy an old rusty Ford Pinto and park it in the driveway.Of course with legal tags and city sticker.So they could not do a thing about it.

Then I would string a close line at the entrance to the garage where the door use to be and invite my redneck friends over for a Chilli and green apple pie lunch and tell them to all to have on Tighty Whity under wear so they can hang them all on the clothes line at the end of the day where they would remain.Until the old batts moved to the nursing home.

You must live in my neighborhood
Old 01-05-2013, 03:17 PM   post #70 of 75
JD Dude
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 55209

I live across the road from a subdivision of trailer houses and stick built homes, and I probably make more noise than many of the neighbors fooling around with my tractors and grinding and welding. For the most part the neighbors are somewhat respectful. What torques my wife's canary the most is dogs.

We like to walk around the neighborhood and down the road a mile or so for exercise. People must think everybody else in the world loves their yapping mutts. For the most part they are in a house or tied up or in a big fenced in area but they are constantly yapping. I don't like it, but when the dog is loose and barks a lot, my wife won't walk past that particular house. She is scared to death of them. These are big ornery black labs and chows. Friendly dogs she doesn't mind but the ones where hair stands up and they growl, she is paranoid of. We have nice country roads with not much traffic, but the loose dogs keep us corralled to only part of our preferred walking area.

I don't like them either and if I was by myself I would just let them bark, as irritating as it is, and walk right on through. I would hesitate to shoot their dog, unless it had me or my wife by the leg, because I just feel it is my right to walk past their house, but it sure is a pain.

We snowbirded in Florida for a few years and it seemed as though every house in any park we were in had a yapping lap-dog just waiting to antagonize me.

Give me the country away from people so I can get my own yapping dog.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:22 PM   post #71 of 75
rockford

MTF Member # 26868
Angry Re: Things you wish the new neighbors wouldn't do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Dude View Post
What torques my wife's canary the most is dogs.

We like to walk around the neighborhood and down the road a mile or so for exercise. People must think everybody else in the world loves their yapping mutts. For the most part they are in a house or tied up or in a big fenced in area but they are constantly yapping. I don't like it, but when the dog is loose and barks a lot, my wife won't walk past that particular house. She is scared to death of them. These are big ornery black labs and chows. Friendly dogs she doesn't mind but the ones where hair stands up and they growl, she is paranoid of. We have nice country roads with not much traffic, but the loose dogs keep us corralled to only part of our preferred walking area.

I don't like them either and if I was by myself I would just let them bark, as irritating as it is, and walk right on through. I would hesitate to shoot their dog, unless it had me or my wife by the leg, because I just feel it is my right to walk past their house, but it sure is a pain.

We snowbirded in Florida for a few years and it seemed as though every house in any park we were in had a yapping lap-dog just waiting to antagonize me.

Give me the country away from people so I can get my own yapping dog.
I'm with your wife. My own wife was severely mauled by a neighbor's dog that was running loose. Jumped the fence and went for my nine year old granddaughter, and my wife covered the girl with her own body. My wife's breast was torn open, her arm was torn open, and she lost the feeling in one thumb. A neighbor saved her by beating the dog down with a fire extinquisher. The "owners " denied the dog was theirs and disappeared the next day, to who knows where. Nothing was ever done about it. I went there to pick-axe the dog the next day but they were long gone.
rockford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 02:14 PM   post #72 of 75
hwstem
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 81314

We own a mile long lane and there are 6 other houses scattered off of it. We are the last house on the lane and we got new neighbors about 6 years ago who like to play country. They got goats and pigs and don't take proper care of them. They complained about the gravel dust so we let's them take care of the stretch in front of their house. The put down millings which only made black dust and they never grade and crown correctly so slowley we are taking it over again.
hwstem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 10:32 PM   post #73 of 75
Vonrow

MTF Member # 36761

ugh, dogs. I can count on one hand the small number of dogs I actually bothered to "like" over the years. Just not a dog person, and for fair reason; dogs that did not belong to our family were always a sodding menace --to our livestock, to us kids, and to anyone who stopped at our place to visit.

standing rule at our place: if it's not ours, and it's at our place without it's owner -- or it gets mean even with the owner around, it was put in the ground. zero tolerance. Sheriffs never got called, the animal was just simply "dealt with" and that was that.
Vonrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 PM   post #74 of 75
burned300

MTF Member # 81339
Garage

Growing up I delivered the afternoon news paper in my neighborhood on my bicycle, I can't count the number of dogs I've kicked right in the nose while they are trying to bite me while riding my bike. that was 30+ years ago.
1983 420 60" mower, cat 0 three point (in box) ,#56 snow blade
1991 420 in pieces, cat O three point
Gannon graderbox
#40 EZ Rake Vac
#40 EZ Rake Vac for parts
1977 MTD 990 Parts Tractor
198? MTD 990 W/Haban sicklebar
Gravely yard cart

Deere I've owned, 110 140 160 210 212 214 216 300 316Onan
burned300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 05:13 AM   post #75 of 75
Michael
Retired Mod

MTF Member # 21

Having brats visit from the city and get mad that my dogs bark at them for standing around looking at my neighbors house and then coming over and spitting on my dog. I caught the kid and chewed him out in front of the country kids mother when she stopped and asked them what they were doing. My dogs were doing their job and never left my property. I have never seen the brat in question since.

Having a mutant neighbor that got mad at me for moving dirt from one side of my property to the other and getting mud on the road in front of my place. I had to remind said neighbor that the road was gravel and the fact that the road is on a easement on my property. If he any further problems to talk to the county deputy who lives behind my place.

Having another neighbor that told me my dogs crapped in the center of her driveway and sh drove on the crap and now her garage smelled of dog crap. I looked at her and said this is the country and all the dogs are loose and how do you know it was my dogs crap. The funny thing is it was some other dog as the food I feed my dogs makes my dogs crap a certain color and I had the center of my drive also done. The crap was the wrong color as this crap was a lot darker then my dogs crap.

Having another neighbor who **** near got killed trying to get a widow maker blow down tree caught on another tree and trying to cut the blow down without getting a long log chain and pulling the tree to the ground first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.