Linear Actuator for Plow - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 06-23-2006, 09:36 PM   #1
firefighter5143
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 2550
Thumbs up Linear Actuator for Plow

Hello, I am new to this forum so I would like to start off by saying what I have read through has allowed me to kill a lot of time and relax. I really enjoy reading through all the forums. I have an idea and was wondering if it is a good one or not. I have a newer Simplicity Broadmoor 16 Vanguard V-twin. I have an older Simplicity Plow and hitch that fits my tractor. However the lift lever doesn't so I got a winch and mounted that to the tractor to lift the plow but then got to thinking how cool would it be to be able to rotate the plow from the seat of the tractor. So I began looking at linear actuators. Has anyone tried using one of these for this sort of application? How did it work? Do they work ok in cold weather? Or is this a stupid idea and I should just get off the tractor and manually angle the blade?

Thanks
firefighter5143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
bontai Joe
Citizen of Earth

MTF Member # 51
Default Re: Linear Actuator for Plow

Glad to have you here and happy that you enjoy the forum. I don't know about linear actuators working in cold weather, but someone here I am sure has an answer. I also don't know what Simplicity offered back in the day, but Deere offered a linkage that allowed manually angling the front blade from the seat, Maybe someone here knows of such a set up from Simplicity. The Deere version works faily well unless it freezes up which happens in the wet sloppy snows we tend to get in the northeast.

ALWAYS remember to remove the spark plug wire from the plug before sticking your hand in the machine!!!! The fingers you save could be your own.
bontai Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
RoGT5k
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 47

If you go to this page: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showth...0&page=2&pp=15
and look at post #17 there is a picture of a linear actuator used for power angle. I recall reading that when he angled it it was strong enough to move the tractor if it was against a snowbank. Some of these units are made to stand up to harsh conditions and would be ok in the winter.
RoGT5k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2006, 12:39 AM   #4
tooldad
Shop Teacher & Proud Dad

MTF Member # 1226
Garage

kind of pricey, but I grinned and took one in the a--, and am in the process of doing the same as you are. I ended up spending $300 for 2 actuators with switches. I will post pics when I get it done later this summer. I tried to cheat and use an idea from another member using old car power window motors. lasted one snow. the switch went and so did one of the motors. Good thing it only snowed once this year in KC. Now I live in ST. Louis, we will see what I get for snow here. I plan to be prepared this year. Plus I have to get it done this summer since I have borrowed my grandpa's welder for a few weeks until the next trip home. The only challenge I have now is finding a U bracket to attach each end of the actuator to. Will try a local tractor dealer or tractor supply company, something like that.
tooldad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2006, 12:42 AM   #5
tooldad
Shop Teacher & Proud Dad

MTF Member # 1226
Garage

let me add to it, the actuators I purchased are 1000 lbs rated, and will hold up to 2500 pounds. My big concern and the seller reassured me it would work, is would the acutator hold it's position while pushing, especially the angle one.

This all started for me when I attempted to make a cab for my craftsman and realized all the manual moving arms would get in the way, so the first obstacle was to power the blade.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:42 AM   #6
tooldad
Shop Teacher & Proud Dad

MTF Member # 1226
Garage

I actually have a ?. I forgot how to post a new thread, can anybody help me on that one?
Old 06-24-2006, 01:21 AM   #7
pigsitter
the "AWOL member"

MTF Member # 1020

tooldad,one of the site sponsors Johnny Products sells end brackets for the actuators.http://www.johnnyproducts.com/ They have several different styles available.

My favorite song

proud to be a member since 2005 and aggravating Ken in NJ since sometime shortly thereafter

Uh Oh! someone left the gate open, pig's gone walkabout again!!

Where is everybody?
pigsitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2006, 01:23 AM   #8
firefighter5143
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 2550

Thanks for the good ideas. I am concerned about using a actuator for the lift portion. How will I solve the problem of allowing the plow to float and it goes down the driveway. Ex. my driveway slopes downward once the plow passes the side walk but the tractor hasn't the plow will lift off of the ground. Any idea's? Maybe use a winch for the lift?
firefighter5143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2006, 01:31 AM   #9
tooldad
Shop Teacher & Proud Dad

MTF Member # 1226
Garage

on my old setup, I used the lift with a chain hooked to it similar to a pickup plow operation, once I get my actuators, I will tackle that dilema again
Old 06-24-2006, 05:40 AM   #10
Ingersoll444
ex spelling bee champ

MTF Member # 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldad
I actually have a ?. I forgot how to post a new thread, can anybody help me on that one?
Just go back a step to you see the list of all the threds in a board, and you will see a button for starting a new one.

Visit The Case Ingersoll Colt Forum.

SUPER Of The Month 10/2011
Ingersoll444 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2006, 09:24 AM   #11
RoGT5k
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter5143
Thanks for the good ideas. I am concerned about using a actuator for the lift portion. How will I solve the problem of allowing the plow to float and it goes down the driveway. Ex. my driveway slopes downward once the plow passes the side walk but the tractor hasn't the plow will lift off of the ground. Any idea's? Maybe use a winch for the lift?

If you have a pivot pin in the bottom hole, a removable pin in the middle hole, and your linear actuator connected with a clevis pin to the top hole, you can achieve float by removing the middle pin and you get down force (future uses) by using it with the middle pin in. The U shaped bracket would be welded to the part being lifted.
RoGT5k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2006, 12:09 AM   #12
tooldad
Shop Teacher & Proud Dad

MTF Member # 1226
Garage

am I missing the button for posting a new thread. Sorry, but I am just a tractor driving, snow plow pushing, shop teacher.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:43 AM   #13
MaineDad
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 547

Tooldad,

Click on the MTF logo at the top of this page. Scroll down to the section you'd like to post a message too. Like "Off Topic" - Click on the section and the "New Thread" button will be right there.

MaineDad

MaineDad
1963 Wheel Horse 753
1977 Wheel Horse B-100
1977 Wheel Horse C-120

http://www.gardentractorgardening.com/
MaineDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2006, 02:09 PM   #14
DeereMan
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 1362

I have been using linear acturators for several years to lift my sleeve hitches and to angle my snow blade. I use Bear Linear actuators that are rated at 1200# lifting and 3000# static load. The actuators have not been the problem but I did have to go back in and reinforce the mounting bracket after it bent. A decent actuator heavy enough to survive the rough use will cost you about $200 each. You can buy cheaper ones but they will not last long.
1987 JD 318 w/3 point hitch
1980 JD 212H w/factory sleeve hitch
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
DeereMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2006, 02:18 PM   #15
DeereMan
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 1362

BTW, this is how I use my actuators.

1987 JD 318 w/3 point hitch
1980 JD 212H w/factory sleeve hitch
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
DeereMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.