445 oil consumption - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 PM   post #1 of 15
whytryduramax
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 71148
Default 445 oil consumption

Some off you may remember me asking questions about this before...this spring i rebuilt my 445s kawi new rings new bores new valve job ect ect....it uses oil but doesnt smoke? At first i was thinking it needed broke in.... So i didnt get real excited but now its got 30 hrs since the rebuild and still uses oil..it will go from the full mark to the add mark in about 12 hours i checked the compression it has195&200 psi the oil apeares to be sucking from the pvc system the intake is coated like in the aircleaner assembly...any thoughts

1025r
HDAPS
60d deck
54" front blade
47" blower
Model 52 broom
Rim guard in all 4
13 suitcase weights
Homemade heavy hitch
whytryduramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 04:29 AM   post #2 of 15
Cementhead
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 48243
Default Re: 445 oil consumption

I did a full rebuild on the 620 in my 425 2 years ago and still get some oily vapor out the pcv system but not enough to even drop the oil level.Mine has 225 on both cylinders and runs perfectly so I live with it.I covered all the bases on mine and kept second guessing myself if I missed something so I spoke to a Kawasaki engine dealer known for being real knowlegable about these.His answer was if I found a solution let him know as he has had the same experience on some after a rebuild and for reasons unknown to him some of these model engines just tend to do this.Others have suggested too restricted of an air filter can be a reason and I have heard other theories,air leak somewhere being one of them even though I replaced every seal on mine.How many oz from the add to the full mark 6-8 ? seems quite a bit for 12 hrs run time.If mine used that much I would probably have taken it back apart or replaced it.Hope someone on here has another idea as to what causes this,either way good luck.BILL
Cementhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 11:13 AM   post #3 of 15
Dunkelstar
Deere Guru

MTF Member # 52637

No oil burning in my 425, it stays at the same level. Same goes for the 455.

#40 Loader, 54 and 48" MMM Deck, 46" Snow-Thrower, 54" Front Blade, Agri-Fab 3PT Core Aerator, Agri-Fab Chip-n-Vac, and #80 Cart
Dunkelstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 PM   post #4 of 15
whytryduramax
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 71148

I don't understand must be sucking it up from the crankcase ...to be in the intake but heck with close to 200 psi of compression you wouldn't think that the rings would have anything to do with it?

1025r
HDAPS
60d deck
54" front blade
47" blower
Model 52 broom
Rim guard in all 4
13 suitcase weights
Homemade heavy hitch

Last edited by whytryduramax; 11-05-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-05-2012, 02:13 PM   post #5 of 15
Engine_Tech

MTF Member # 46741

Crankcase vacuum test results? A tester is cheap. Could be as simple as a cracked reed valve or piece of trash under it.
Engine_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 02:24 PM   post #6 of 15
Parkland
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 71484

I have the same problem. My mechanic says the crank case pressure is high but is not excessive. He claims high reving motors with a small crank case can generate high pressure. He cannot figure out what the reed valve does since the crank case is ventilated with no pc valve directly into the carb. My compression is 200+. I found out that there is a replacement oil filler cap cause the original either blew off or leaked oil. However the replacement cap (M147324) is threaded and does not fit. Any suggestions? Thanks DK
Parkland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 02:49 PM   post #7 of 15
Cementhead

MTF Member # 48243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkland View Post
I have the same problem. My mechanic says the crank case pressure is high but is not excessive. He claims high reving motors with a small crank case can generate high pressure. He cannot figure out what the reed valve does since the crank case is ventilated with no pc valve directly into the carb. My compression is 200+. I found out that there is a replacement oil filler cap cause the original either blew off or leaked oil. However the replacement cap (M147324) is threaded and does not fit. Any suggestions? Thanks DK
The replacement cap with the threads is for the replacement metal valve covers.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:12 PM   post #8 of 15
motomarky
MTF Member

MTF Member # 80152

When I first bought my 445 it used oil w/ no smoke. As time and hours built up it started to smoke. Replaced valve seals, reed style crank vent, etc.. All the while the amount of oil in the air cleaner got worse. To the point it would saturate the filter enough where it would hardly run after a 3 hour mow session. Folks 'round here told me not waste the time in a rebuild, so I bought a new carb'ed engine and converted all the injection stuff over and zero issues since.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:32 PM   post #9 of 15
whytryduramax
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 71148

I will check crankcase pressure...i guess it can be checked at the hose below the intake setup?

1025r
HDAPS
60d deck
54" front blade
47" blower
Model 52 broom
Rim guard in all 4
13 suitcase weights
Homemade heavy hitch
Old 11-05-2012, 09:16 PM   post #10 of 15
Parkland
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 71484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cementhead View Post
The replacement cap with the threads is for the replacement metal valve covers.
Thank you for your help. I will look in to a metal valve cover.

It seems high crankcase pressure, and the resulting oil in the air intake is a common problem. I hope someone can shed some light on the problem.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:40 PM   post #11 of 15
whytryduramax
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 71148

Yea gotta be some insight here there is thousands of fd 620s out there getting rebuilt...

1025r
HDAPS
60d deck
54" front blade
47" blower
Model 52 broom
Rim guard in all 4
13 suitcase weights
Homemade heavy hitch
Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 PM   post #12 of 15
Parkland
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 71484

I am curious about what the reed valve does. Since the valve is so hard to get at I ordered one just to see what it was and how it might work. Its just a flat little piece of steel the size of your little finger. I assume it lets air into the crankcase when a cylinder goes up but closes when a cylinder comes down. If that is the case the air must have to go somewhere namely out the vent tube into the air intake throat. Maybe some oil is normal? Any comments?
Old 11-06-2012, 03:14 AM   post #13 of 15
Cementhead

MTF Member # 48243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkland View Post
I am curious about what the reed valve does. Since the valve is so hard to get at I ordered one just to see what it was and how it might work. Its just a flat little piece of steel the size of your little finger. I assume it lets air into the crankcase when a cylinder goes up but closes when a cylinder comes down. If that is the case the air must have to go somewhere namely out the vent tube into the air intake throat. Maybe some oil is normal? Any comments?
The reed valve manages vaccum and crankcase pressure.The old engines just had a vent or a dump tube,now with the pollution laws the feds want any crankcase fumes vented through the air intake to be reburned.In most 4 stroke engines there is a valve cover breather vented through the carb.Walk behind snowblowers are the only engines still using a dump tube because there is no air filter.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:54 AM   post #14 of 15
Cementhead

MTF Member # 48243

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytryduramax View Post
Yea gotta be some insight here there is thousands of fd 620s out there getting rebuilt...
If there is I would like to hear it too.I have spoke to several people about it with no good answers.Im no rookie and have rebuilt a lot of engines in my life but this has me baffled.Couple things come to mind on this engine,one is the big end gap on the rings as per the manual which would be beyond worn out on other brand engines.Two most engines use some type of filter material in the breather chamber to slow down oily vapor,Kawasaki uses a rat maze with no filter material.Mine has big compression which makes me skeptical about it having blowby.If I was to do it again I would probably get the oversize rings and file the end gaps to bring it down to a more reasonable number.As said earlier mine uses no oil and runs great so I am not going to go through the $$$ and work to do it again.I have a 590v on my 345 for quite a few years that never had this problem,vertical crank vs. horizontal on the 620 but very similar engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 10:05 AM   post #15 of 15
Parkland
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 71484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cementhead View Post
If there is I would like to hear it too.I have spoke to several people about it with no good answers.Im no rookie and have rebuilt a lot of engines in my life but this has me baffled.Couple things come to mind on this engine,one is the big end gap on the rings as per the manual which would be beyond worn out on other brand engines.Two most engines use some type of filter material in the breather chamber to slow down oily vapor,Kawasaki uses a rat maze with no filter material.Mine has big compression which makes me skeptical about it having blowby.If I was to do it again I would probably get the oversize rings and file the end gaps to bring it down to a more reasonable number.As said earlier mine uses no oil and runs great so I am not going to go through the $$$ and work to do it again.I have a 590v on my 345 for quite a few years that never had this problem,vertical crank vs. horizontal on the 620 but very similar engine.
I got thinking why would there be a reed valve, that appears to be behind a sealed gasketed plate and a vent tube that appears to go straight from the crank case to the air intake? You mention 'rat maze'. Could there be an internal path from the reed valve to the crank case hose outlet to the air intake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.