B&S 12.5 Hp Engine Problem - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 09-23-2012, 12:42 AM   post #1 of 14
JimmyStuart
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 75927
Default B&S 12.5 Hp Engine Problem

First post here on the Snapper site. Have a Snapper RE 3312513BE, Ser # 35497086 with B&S Mod 286707 Type 013601 Code 9302154A. The crankshaft extension shaft (bolt) has come loose and worked its way up, ruining both of the threads on the ext shaft, and the inside threads in the crankshaft and the hand pull clutch bottom case. Is it possible to rethread the inside of the crankshaft to accept a new ext shaft? I know the clutch and the ext shaft can be purchased. If I eliminate the pull starter and use only the electric starter, is it safe to run the engine without either the extension shaft and clutch or a bolt to hold the fan and flywheel on the end of the crankshaft? All help greatly appreciated.
JimmyStuart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 01:18 AM   post #2 of 14
NOVAZ27
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 53850
Default Re: B&S 12.5 Hp Engine Problem

First off.

Welcome to MTF'S Snapper forum. Iam sure that there are some on this Forum that can help with the B&S engine problem you stated in the opening post. However you might have better responses in the Small Engine Repair section on MTF. Repairing the threads depends upon how bad the the threads are stripped out. You might be able to rethread the crank if there is enough meat left to do so. Or rethread with a slightly larger metric thread. You should at least bolt the flywheel down. Helicoil is another option.

HOPE THIS HELPS
NOVAZ27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 08:12 AM   post #3 of 14
Walt 2002
Senior MTF Poster

MTF Member # 1229

Welcome,

" is it safe to run the engine without either the extension shaft and clutch or a bolt to hold the fan and flywheel on the end of the crankshaft?"

It would be safe BUT the flywheel key will eventually shear as the flywheel will come loose.

As said, repair depends on how badly the internal threads of the crankshaft are damaged. I would carefully chase the threads with a threading tap same as original and try a new extension. IF there is doubt that this will hold, I would spread a thin layer of JB Weld in the inside bottom half of the crankshaft threads and on the top half of a new extension, thread in and allow to set for time in directions. Reason for doing this way is to keep from peeling the JF Weld out of the threads as the extension is threaded in. This should make a permanent bond. Do not leave any JF Weld on threads above the end of the crankshaft. This must be able to hold 65 ft. lbs of torque either with a new recoil clutch or a nut. Note that for many years these two parts were machined as one pc.

I would not try rethreading with an oversize tap as this is only asking for more trouble.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 10:04 AM   post #4 of 14
Walt 2002
Senior MTF Poster

MTF Member # 1229

As a follow up, IF the new extension threads into the crankshaft with little resistance, you can skip the thread chasing part.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 01:35 AM   post #5 of 14
JimmyStuart
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 75927

Thanks to all for the advice. From what I can see in the inside of the crankshaft, only the top 1/4 to 3/8 inch or so of the threads are flattened/damaged. I am concerned about using a tap, as I am not sure that it would line up with the existing threads past the damaged area, thereby leaving me with no metal left to hold a new bolt or extension. I am considering using a Dremel tool to remove those damaged top threads and then see if I can get a new bolt to thread into the remaining threads. I then will consider the use of JF Weld when reinstalling the extension. I also plan on leaving the pull starter clutch off, using a nut to hold the fan and flywheel onto the crankshaft, and depend only on the electric starter. Hope to get some of this work done Friday, will post results later. Being relatively new to MTF, I had missed the section about engines, and in the future will post accordingly. Again, thanks.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:57 AM   post #6 of 14
dc 3mech
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 35535

It looks like Snapper/Briggs,is going to "electric start only" on the "Black" Craftsman,and series 24,maybe they save money,by leaving out the provision for "dual" starting or ,"Manual only"
dc 3mech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 11:21 PM   post #7 of 14
JimmyStuart
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 75927

Had to make an unplanned trip to town today. Picked up a 9/16" National Fine thread tap, and a 9/16" bolt.

Ran the threads in the crankshaft, no problem. I believe if I had tried the new bolt with the new threads, I would not have needed to use the tap. The threads start about 3/8" below top of crankshaft, and did not appear to be damaged.

I purchased new bolt based on length of threads on the extension, but bolt is too short for what I plan to do. I need to use the clutch casing without the steel balls and pull start shaft to hold the rotating leaf screen. The longer bolt will hold it to the crankshaft.

Will have to get a longer bolt tomorrow and I should be back in business, now with electric start only.

Again, thanks NovaZ27 and Walt 2002 for your assistance. And dc 3mech, I will have the same setup as you said Snapper/B&S is going to use in the future.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:48 AM   post #8 of 14
dc 3mech

MTF Member # 35535

Just to satisfy my curiosity,I looked up the Craftsman "black" RER,Sears lists a Briggs,219977-0130-B1,12&1/h HP OHV engine,electric start only. I then looked up the Briggs parts book,for that engine,and discovered that that engine had a one-piece crank,with electric start only.but the document,listed manual starter parts too,maybe Briggs went back to the one piece crank.Who knows?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:22 AM   post #9 of 14
JimmyStuart
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 75927

Purchased longer bolt, reinstalled the bottom of the pull start clutch without the ball bearings inside with the bolt and washer. Reinstalled the top of the Pull Start clutch to hold the leaf screen, and engine runs again. Just do not have a pull starter now. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:42 AM   post #10 of 14
calrec
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 26180

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc 3mech View Post
Just to satisfy my curiosity,I looked up the Craftsman "black" RER,Sears lists a Briggs,219977-0130-B1,12&1/h HP OHV engine,electric start only. I then looked up the Briggs parts book,for that engine,and discovered that that engine had a one-piece crank,with electric start only.but the document,listed manual starter parts too,maybe Briggs went back to the one piece crank.Who knows?
When the battery goes flat, I've still been able to pull start my 12.5Hp!
Makes sense to leave that option.
calrec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 11:18 AM   post #11 of 14
dc 3mech

MTF Member # 35535

One of the "features" of the old Snapper,was "dual starting",but I suppose that the "low cost at any cost" has won out. The Honda engine I installed, on my MW280921B also had both starters,but to eliminate the battery problems,I usually hand crank it,it starts on the first pull,about 90% of the time(if I have done everything right),turned on fuel,key to run, choke on,etc.).
Old 10-06-2012, 12:32 AM   post #12 of 14
JimmyStuart
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 75927

When I can afford the new extension shaft stud and a new pull start clutch (about $43), I will put the pull starter back in operation. I too like to have both options. Also, when I am having solenoid problems, I use my claw hammer to jump across the solenoid terminals, much more metal to conduct the 12 volt than the screwdriver blade.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:07 AM   post #13 of 14
dc 3mech

MTF Member # 35535

Everyone,should remember that a direct short from a battery(even as small as a mower battery),carries a lot of amps.be careful,any time you"jump" any component,I have seen some serious accidents in my time from people doing this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 11:14 AM   post #14 of 14
rscurtis
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 25367

Removal of the recoil starter also makes the interlock system simpler.
rscurtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.