Troy Bilt Pony with only 4.7 hours of use - can't roll tractor in Neutral! - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 08-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
jimwalt
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 77967
Default Troy Bilt Pony with only 4.7 hours of use - can't roll tractor in Neutral!

On 7/11/12 I purchased a Troy Bilt Pony from Lowe's. It has worked perfectly until today. I have it in a storage shed and have to roll it up/down a small ramp I made (only 9 inches off the ground). Today I rolled it out fine, but after mowing the grass I tried to roll it up and the back tires are locked.

I decided to see if it was a fluke so I drove it around in both forward and reverse and those two gears work fine, but when I turn it off, get off the seat and try to push it, it no longer will move. I also check to make sure the parking break wasn't on, and it wasn't. I leave it in about 3rd gear (of the 7 speeds).

Called Lowes and they said to bring it in, but that will be a huge pain in the rear if this is something I could easily fix.

Any suggestions? Also, if I have to bring it in to Lowe's, how in the heck am I going to roll it up to my trailer (that I pull behind my car)? I definately can't drive it when it's running - I only have 2 thin boards to get it up there!
jimwalt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
edboyles
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 58693
Default Re: Troy Bilt Pony with only 4.7 hours of use - can't roll tractor in Neutral!

Jim
It sounds like it is still in gear. Are you sure that you have it in neutral?
edboyles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
jimwalt
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 77967
Default Re: Troy Bilt Pony with only 4.7 hours of use - can't roll tractor in Neutral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edboyles View Post
Jim
It sounds like it is still in gear. Are you sure that you have it in neutral?
Positive. It's the middle position between Forward & Reverse. There are only 3 spots the lever can go.... Forward, Neutral, or Reverse.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
edboyles
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 58693

Try rocking the mower back and forth a little and you shift into neutral........
edboyles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
jimwalt
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 77967

Quote:
Originally Posted by edboyles View Post
Try rocking the mower back and forth a little and you shift into neutral........
Just went outside and tried it... No luck.

I lifted the back end down the ramp and turned it on. Went in forward and reverse just fine, but no neutral. Even when it was running I tried jerking it forward with my body weight while in neutral and I could feel the wheels hold it in place (yet I did have my foot all the way down on the pedal which I guess acts like a brake).

Do I need to turn the mower off when it's in Neutral to allow it to roll? I tried that too and it didn't work this time. I have a feeling there's a transmission problem.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
jimwalt
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 77967

It's Model 13WN77KS011 if that helps?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
bootheclown
fun with fuel

MTF Member # 76839

theres a trnsmission brake on the right side infront of the rear wheel that likes to get stuck occasionally
bootheclown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
jimwalt
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 77967

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootheclown View Post
theres a trnsmission brake on the right side infront of the rear wheel that likes to get stuck occasionally
On the right side as your are sitting on the mower? How do I get to it, and what does it look like?

How is it repaired?

Thank you.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
bootheclown
fun with fuel

MTF Member # 76839

right hand side as u sit on mower. its a cam lever that engages a pad on a rotor. nock the lever loose(towards the front), hit it with some white lithium and loose the nut that the lever pivots on. when i say loosen i mean a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. usally works itself out after this.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
jimwalt
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 77967

Quote:
right hand side as u sit on mower. its a cam lever that engages a pad on a rotor. nock the lever loose(towards the front), hit it with some white lithium and loose the nut that the lever pivots on. when i say loosen i mean a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. usally works itself out after this.
Great. Thanks! I'll try to locate those parts you menitioned tonight when I get home and see if I can figure it out with your description.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
tomw0
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 34922

While driving slowly in forward or reverse, try shifting to neutral. If the brake disk was stuck, you would not be rolling. It will keep the tires from rotating in the same direction as it is geared directly to the differential gearset.
If your linkage were out of adjustment, trying to shift to neutral while rolling would either result in 'finding' neutral, or gear grind as you pass it and go into reverse. Neutral is just a midway position of a dog clutch in most cases, where the dogs are not touching either F or R gears.
Sometimes you can barely push on the brake/clutch, and get some clutch relief so the gears can be shifted easier. I find that doing that when down or up shifting makes the lever move easier.
If you look on the right side of the transaxle, you should see a small disk about 2.5 inches in diameter. It will have a plate across the upper or lower face, and the plate will have a lever attached that is connected to the brake clutch pedal. When you step on the brake, you move the lever, and that moves the 'ramps' to push the disk brake pad against the disk. The nut in the center of the ramp lever can pre-load the brakes or if loosened, can allow more play in the linkage before the brakes start to apply. The disk should look polished. When it gets all rusted up, it can make it impossible to turn the wheels.
tom
tomw0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
jimwalt
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 77967

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomw0 View Post
While driving slowly in forward or reverse, try shifting to neutral. If the brake disk was stuck, you would not be rolling. It will keep the tires from rotating in the same direction as it is geared directly to the differential gearset.
If your linkage were out of adjustment, trying to shift to neutral while rolling would either result in 'finding' neutral, or gear grind as you pass it and go into reverse. Neutral is just a midway position of a dog clutch in most cases, where the dogs are not touching either F or R gears.
Sometimes you can barely push on the brake/clutch, and get some clutch relief so the gears can be shifted easier. I find that doing that when down or up shifting makes the lever move easier.
If you look on the right side of the transaxle, you should see a small disk about 2.5 inches in diameter. It will have a plate across the upper or lower face, and the plate will have a lever attached that is connected to the brake clutch pedal. When you step on the brake, you move the lever, and that moves the 'ramps' to push the disk brake pad against the disk. The nut in the center of the ramp lever can pre-load the brakes or if loosened, can allow more play in the linkage before the brakes start to apply. The disk should look polished. When it gets all rusted up, it can make it impossible to turn the wheels.
tom
Thanks Tom, but what is your thought on the tractor is BRAND NEW with only 4.7 hours on the engine. I've used it only about 7 times since I purchased it and I baby this thing like a $50,000 car. I even use my electric leaf blower to get all the grass off it every time I'm done and it's stored inside (never outside). I just don't think anything has had the time to rust.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
bootheclown
fun with fuel

MTF Member # 76839

im still going with a stuck brake. its a good starting point and being a mtd warranty repair center ive seen this issue a number of times. and yes in many cases the transmission when engaged can stii power past and engaged brake. if thats not it i highly recomend letting a repair center take care of it
Old 08-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
jimwalt
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 77967

Quote:
im still going with a stuck brake. its a good starting point and being a mtd warranty repair center ive seen this issue a number of times. and yes in many cases the transmission when engaged can stii power past and engaged brake. if thats not it i highly recomend letting a repair center take care of it
You work for a MTD repair center?

Ok, I'm leaving work shortly. I'll go home and try to figure out what you described in your posts above. If I determine it's a stuck break and then I knock the lever loose, put lithium grease on it and loosen the nut 1/4 to 1/2 turn you think that will solve my problem permanetly? Or should I get it down to the authorized repair center tonight so they can get working on it?

I called the repair center this morning and they said to bring it in with my Lowe's receipt and there would be no charge to me. The only downside is that they are backed up with repairs and probably wouldn't have it done till the end of next week assuming it's something simple.

But if it's really simple and I can just fix it myself I would rather do that. Also I want to know what caused this so that if it was my fault I can prevent doing it again in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
jimwalt
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 77967

I got home from work and tried to check what you talked about, but I didn't have any clue what I was looking for so it didn't go too well.

I started up the tractor and drove it around the yard. Put it in neutral as it was running and it found neutral fine. I turned it off while it was in neutral and it stayed so that I could roll it. I pushed the clutch/brake and then it locked up again. No matter where I moved the lever F, N, R it wouldn't roll. I turned it back on drove it, and put it in neutral and it rolled fine. I turned it off and rolled it up onto my trailer and took it to the authorized repair center (about 3 miles from home).

I told the tech what was going on and he believe's it's like you said.... the brake needs adjustment or the pin that operates the brake isn't working right. Thinks it will be an easy fix and might even have it done by Friday (that would be great because I'd like to install the bagger over the long holiday weekend).

It's under warranty so it will be free. Not sure how long the warranty lasts though????

They did say that it's a really good tractor. They don't get many in except for people that never change the oil or other dumb stuff like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.