Briggs 25 hp ELS backfiring / popping - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Small Engines and Repair

Midwest Mower Pro

Old 06-04-2005, 08:33 PM   #1
markfnc
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 184
Default Briggs 25 hp ELS backfiring / popping

I have a Briggs ELS that has 60 hours. It just started popping / backfiring today. Not just when i turned it off, but all the time while it was running. What do I need to do? I am not much of a mechanic, but I changed the oil at 5 hrs, 25 hrs, adn 50 hrs. The manual says ELS do not need to change the oil filter or spark plugs for 100 hours. It had never backfired at all, not even when I turned it off, until today.

Any ideas???
markfnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2005, 03:16 AM   #2
Michael
Retired Mod

MTF Member # 21
Default Re: Briggs 25 hp ELS backfiring / popping

Mark, are you saying the engine is firing out thru the carb or the exhaust? I am assuming that you are hearing it fire thru the exhaust and I am going to ask "When was the fuel filter last changed. and the 2nd item might be the choke cable might be sticking. Another item might be the spark plug wires might not be firmly seated on the spark plugs. Lets keep it simple and then go to the harder stuff.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:28 AM   #3
dyt4000
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfnc
The manual says ELS do not need to change the oil filter or spark plugs for 100 hours.
Any ideas???

In a perfect world...but this isn't a perfect world. There are always exceptions to the rule!
dyt4000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2005, 08:20 AM   #4
old_nodaker
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 257

I've had a lot of that problem with my 13 and 17.5 horse Briggs. It's backfiring out the exhaust. I've been able to solve it so far adding a little "sea foam" to the gas tank, but there are other brands that probably do the same thing. You also can get instant results adding it directly into the carburetor, follow the directions. (It works for me, your results may vary.) Side note, these engines will also do this if I don't let them fully warm up before applying a load. Side side note - I have no idea what is happening to cause the backfiring. My best guess is that the jets are so small they clog up easily and the sea foam helps keep them open, except normally a lean condition should cause it to backfire through the carburetor

I have about 150 hours on the 13 horse, 20 hours on the 17.5.
old_nodaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2005, 08:41 AM   #5
ducati996
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 39

Make sure the gas is fresh as well....and use gas stabilizer when its need (sitting for long periods) products like Stabil work great
ducati996 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2005, 09:11 AM   #6
draddogs

MTF Member # 4

If it backfires thru the carb you are having a timing problem.. Thru the exhaust could be running lean or old gas as has been mentioned.. The time periods of manufacturers maintenance intervals are to get you to at least change oil and filters... They really would rather sell a new unit or motor. Check fuel filters, plug wires and coil wires.. A coil starting to go bad can give this same condition.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

Pee on it and walk away.
draddogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2005, 07:36 AM   #7
markfnc
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 184

I put WD 40 on the chock cable, and took off and reconnected the spark plug wires, and it seems to be fixed. I mowed for 1 1/2 hours andnit never did it.

Thanks for the ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
markfnc
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 184

I bought my DLT 3000 in August 2003. It has the Briggs ELS V twin. I just did my 100 hour service. Changed the plugs, air & oil filters, and the oil. Last fall changed the blades. had done the service at 25 hours, 50 hours and 75 hours. Just oil changes and air filter at those times. No problems to speak of. I think it mulches good and cuts grass good. I also use it to pull the 125# speader to put out lime, fertilizer and grass seed. I would like a higher back seat, and tighter steering. I have taken the sterring apart twice hoping to improve this, but not much luck.

I like the pedal controls, and woudl not want that to be different.

I like the "looks' of the new DLt (4500?) series.

Overall 7.5 - 8 /10 or B+ rating. Which is best you could hope for with a Sears IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.