Simplicity 17 GTH-L keeps shutting off - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 08-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
flavo cadillac
MTF Member

MTF Member # 45794
Default Simplicity 17 GTH-L keeps shutting off

My simplicity has been running great and out of no where is shutting off.
What is happening is I can get it to start like normal and then it will shut off in an electrical manner after 5 seconds or so. Meaning it doesn't sputter or anything, just dies. It won't start right back up. I need to wait 15-30 seconds, then I hear a click behind the dash and it will start and die all over again. And the cycle continues.

I assume this is an easy fix I just need to know what to replace.
Thanks for the help,
Mike.
flavo cadillac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
mowman1
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 59877
Default Re: Simplicity 17 GTH-L keeps shutting off

You must have a wire shorting out the circut breaker. Check all the wiring around the battery area and under the dash for something that is pinched.
mowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
flavo cadillac
MTF Member

MTF Member # 45794

Is that my only option? I pulled the gas tank and battery and I checked as much of the wiring as I could. I changed the 4 prong relay just because. I haven't found anything.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
flavo cadillac
MTF Member

MTF Member # 45794

sounds like it's still a break or something that I have not found. Just figured I would update in case someone has a different idea.

I have checked the wiring visually pretty thoroughly. The clicking is coming from the circuit breaker that is between the amp meter and the solenoid. Also the amp meter is pegged to the side while running. The tractor will do the same sequence of events even if not running and the key turned to the on position.

Is a visual inspection the only way to check for a bad wire in this scenario? Also do you still think that is a bad ground or broken wire? Should I disconnect all the grounds and clean them up?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
AC716H
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 37862

Get a wiring diagram and trace every wire with a multimeter. As you go, check them off on your diagram so you know you've done them. Take nothing for granted.

Also, if your ignition switch has a removable connector, remove it and clean the contacts well with some contact cleaner. Remove the negative battery terminal first though.

My last wiring issue was a 2" piece of wire, which was broken in the middle. Would never have thought it could be bad, until I tested it with a meter.
AC716H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Justy37
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 55322

Check ignition coil.
1965 Snow-chick (snowbird) model 203 snowblower.
1985 Snowflite 8/24 repowered with 6.5 hp lifan.

Member of the two cylinder club. Have over 30 johnny poppers of all sizes.
Justy37 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
old.iron
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 76842

I have had an ignition switch on one tractor do this and a coil module on the flywheel on another tractor do this. I agree with checking each wire with multi meter. Put the meter on one end of the wire being tested and the meters other lead onto the other end of same wire. Check the resistance of the wire. It should be low. If you find one that is higher it could have a few strands broken internally or at the wire connector. If all checks out good then you most likely have a problem with one of the components that the wires connect to. Good luck
old.iron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Fcubman
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 18953

The breaker is tripping because of an overload. You need to find the short or bad component. I would disconnect the battery, then put an ohmmeter on the breaker terminal and measure resistance to ground. If it's low, you have a short to ground, and need to isolate the bad circuit.

You don't say which way the meter is pegged - it makes a difference. If it's to the discharge side, that makes sense for a short to ground.

It's possible, as mentioned already, that the ignition switch is shorted internally to ground. Use your meter, after removing the connector on the switch, to test it for shorts to ground when in the "on" position.

Living in The Land Of The Free - because of The Brave!
Fcubman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
flavo cadillac
MTF Member

MTF Member # 45794

For some reason I am really not into doing electrical work. It drives me crazy. I finally pulled the tractor up from the bottom of the hill and started to try and test wires. Although I don't really know how to use my multimeter. I just put it on the sound setting and checked a few wires that way.
I did find that the connector that attaches the ignition to the 5 wires in the wiring harness had melted. When I put power to the key I could feel warmth at the connector and back of the switch.
Would this indicate a faulty ignition switch? Is there a way to test the switch w/ my multimeter? Or could it still be a bad ground somewhere that is manifesting at the ignition switch.

Thanks for the help again.

By the way, to answer a previous question. When I put the key to the on position the volt meter pegs all the way to the left or the - position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.