King pin bushings - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Power King & Economy Tractors Power King, Power Queen, Jim Dandy Tractor Brands

Old 07-21-2012, 08:32 AM   post #1 of 3
willy1094
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 59595
Default King pin bushings

Quick question. Are the king pin bushings for a power king the same size as Jim Dandy? 1 1/2 i.d. x 1 3/8 o.d.? Would replacing with bearings give any added benefit?
Thanks
willy1094 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 11:54 PM   post #2 of 3
G. L. Grumpy
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21069
Default Re: King pin bushings

Just bushings in there. McMaster Carr or othe places should have them. Bore in axle has a step on some so have to drive them out each way to remove. IF you have worn thru the bushing and actually worn into axle, new bushing might just push out in space there. Bearings?? Not sure what you would use. Needle bearings? There is a thrust bearing on bottom outside of the axle. Would replace all of them. Would think new bushings and thrust bearings would take care of any tight steering. These don't steer hard at all. AND, center swivel bearing on axle beam is same bushings too, might replace them and get rid of more slop if that is the problem.
Speedex
Wheelhorse
MTD 990
G. L. Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 12:15 AM   post #3 of 3
willy1094
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 59595
Default Re: King pin bushings

Thanks for the reply. I actually did some damage removing the bushings. I could reuse them but figured I should just replace them while I have it apart. I had needle bearing in the front arm so I thought I could just use them for the king pins. They are bearing number B-1618 if I remember correctly ( I will confirm that in the morning). They are $10 each. If there would be no real benefit of using the bearings I'll just save the money and use it elsewhere. I found brass bushings and the bearings on eBay so all I need to do is order them.

Could you or anyone else give me info on the thrust bearings? They still run smooth enough but I can hear grit in them. Are these sold as one piece or do you open them up and replace rollers inside? Any idea of a bearing number?

Thanks for the help! I'm just trying to get past this point so I can get the rolling frame pics for my restore thread.
willy1094 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.