Honda 4514 38 Deck Restoration - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 07-12-2012, 12:12 PM   post #1 of 4
dlandsv
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 53121
Default Honda 4514 38 Deck Restoration

I finally got around to restoring the 38 inch deck for my 4514.

I removed the rust and then prepped it with POR 15 Metal Prep followed by two coats of black POR 15. I then applied two coats of TSC graphite EZ Slide.

I replaced all bearings in the spindles as well as bearings in the drive pulley and belt tensioner. The belt tensioner pulley is a two piece. I removed the rivets and bolted it back together same as what we do when replacing the bearing in the PTO clutch.

The deck belt tensioner and drive pulley were both rusted and locked in a fixed place. The shafts were rusted so bad I had to use a pulley remover to get both of them off of the mounting shafts.

So even though there is a polyurethane or perhaps Delrin bushing it still rusted in a fixed position.

I drilled and tapped a hole and added a grease zerk to the belt tensioner and the drive pulley mounting shafts. The grease should keep both rust free now.

I used the original color paint number (Honda silver cloud).

Although it was getting warm when I sprayed it, I didn't get a lot of orange peel. I sprayed with a Harbor Freight #46719 touch up gun. It gets excellent reviews and costs about $14 when on sale.

The coating on the drive pulley was OK but I sprayed the each spindle blade pulley with a gold paint as the plating was beginning to rust topside and underside.

I used a rattle can with Valspar black paint on the spindle housings.

I got lifting on a test panel when testing the Valspar paint. Let me tell you, it was hard to remove even with a sanding disk. So I think it will be awhile before the spindle housings start to rust again.

The green belt is a Gates - time will tell if it wears well with usage.

As you can see there was a lot of surface rust on the underside of the deck even after wire brushing. As a result the surface isn't smooth like it would be if new. IMO a new deck prepped with POR 15 and EZ Slide would reduce grass buildup a lot less.

We will see if there is any grass buildup after a mowing or two. I'll keep you posted how well the EZ slide and POR 15 coatings work.

It's a shame after it looks so nice and clean, to take it for its first mowing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1835930...43396190/show/

Note: I grew up on a farm and recall that the best frictionless surface on metal on cultivator blades and plow shares was the actual metal itself after it would scour and be as smooth as shiney chrome.

So maybe the best method for longevity for the deck underside surface is too simply let the grass scour the underside of the deck. After each mowing, knock any buildup off with a water hose, and then spray a rust preventor on the surface to prevent rust until the next mowing when it will scour off again down to the smooth surface of the metal.

We used used motor oil when I was a kid as a rust preventor - but suppose the EPA would lock us up nowdays if used for that purpose.

Last edited by dlandsv; 07-12-2012 at 12:30 PM.
dlandsv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 03:42 PM   post #2 of 4
carl935
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 73213
Default Re: Honda 4514 38 Deck Restoration

Nice job!!

wish I had time to do that

and where did you get the paint?
carl935 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 05:06 PM   post #3 of 4
dlandsv
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 53121

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl935 View Post
Nice job!!

wish I had time to do that

and where did you get the paint?
Any automotive paint supply house will mix the paint as long as the paint number is known or supplied. The paint is PPG Acrlyic enamel. I did not use a hardner or spray a coat of clear.

I had to get a quart - minimum size. I have another deck to recondition plus I need to repaint the wheels on my 3813 and 4213. I can do all of that and still have some left over.

It went on nice compared to the paint (red) that I bought at Tractor Supply to repaint the panels of my 4213. I plan to get a quart of red PPG paint and try it instead of using the TSC stuff.

The TSC paint is tough stuff and very hard to remove. It is special made for tractors that sit out in the elements their entire lifetime. As soon as I get it sanded and primed again - I shoot it with the red PPG paint.

I understand you can get Honda paint in spray cans if you don't want to buy a quart.
dlandsv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 06:44 PM   post #4 of 4
john c
MTF Member

MTF Member # 451

We used used motor oil when I was a kid as a rust preventor

I remember as a kid seeing it used as a weed preventer too, and if the dog got mange..... well there was an app for that too.

Your deck project turned out real nice, you should be proud
john c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.