Does anyone use a mulcher kit on their Zero turn ? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 07-09-2012, 11:05 AM   post #1 of 20
Chalkline77
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 73369
Default Does anyone use a mulcher kit on their Zero turn ?

A few months ago a purchased a Simplicity ZT 3500. I am considering adding a mulching kit to keep the clippings out of the flower beds and the pool.

The machine is used for just taking care of my property not commercially.

Do any of the other users of this forum have a mulching kit on their ZTR and if so, what are the pros and cons if any ? Thanks in advance for the advice.

i have looked at a few online and saw that there is a block off plate, If i wish to go back to side discharge is the plate easily removable?
Chalkline77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 PM   post #2 of 20
dodge trucker
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 63518
Default Re: Does anyone use a mulcher kit on their Zero turn ?

nope. never. always mow and blow, except during leaf season then I dig out the Trac vac
dodge trucker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 07:57 AM   post #3 of 20
Bill S
MTF Member

MTF Member # 34715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkline77 View Post
A few months ago a purchased a Simplicity ZT 3500. I am considering adding a mulching kit to keep the clippings out of the flower beds and the pool.

The machine is used for just taking care of my property not commercially.

Do any of the other users of this forum have a mulching kit on their ZTR and if so, what are the pros and cons if any ? Thanks in advance for the advice.

i have looked at a few online and saw that there is a block off plate, If i wish to go back to side discharge is the plate easily removable?
No. I've never liked mulching kits. I lay out my mowing pattern to mow with the side discharge away from the flower beds, sidewalks, driveways, etc. I mow more often when the grass is growing rapidly to limit the amount of clippings.

Bill
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 10:16 AM   post #4 of 20
War Eagle
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 111

I mow with a Snapper ZTR I bought new in 2004. It uses the 44" Simplicity deck. I use the mulching kit year round...works great!

War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 11:11 PM   post #5 of 20
Chalkline77
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 73369

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:08 PM   post #6 of 20
Chalkline77
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 73369

Have you ever removed the discharge block off plate ?

If so was it a pain to do ?

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:14 PM   post #7 of 20
Chalkline77
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 73369

I tried Bill S's plan to mow in such a pattern that the grass clippings and such stay out of the flower beds and things. i had minimal success in a few parts of the yard due to the trees being too close together.

Would a bagging system be better than a mulching kit ?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 AM   post #8 of 20
War Eagle
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 111

There are 2 carriage bolts that hold the block off plate on so it's probably not a pain to remove it, but I've never had the need to remove it. Bagging is a slow, messy job, that's why I mulch. I have some leaves and pine straw to deal with certain times of the year and the mulch kit does a good job, but your situation could be different if you are overwhelmed with leaves. Not sure what deck you have, but my comments apply to the Simplicity 44" deck and mulch kit.

Last edited by War Eagle; 07-19-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:28 AM   post #9 of 20
War Eagle
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 111

Something else to consider....the mulch kit for my deck consisted of a block off plate, different blades and an "anti-blow-out" baffle across the leading edge of the deck. I have a buddy with a Hustler zero turn (fabricated deck) and his mulch kit was just a block off plate. It doesn't mulch as well....lots of blow out, particularly when mulching leaves.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:32 AM   post #10 of 20
Chalkline77
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 73369

My deck is a Simplicity 48" fabricated deck.

Thanks War Eagle for answering one of my questions before I even posted it, there are a number of trees on our property that will drop their leaves come fall.

Looks like I will be ordering a mulch kit for my machine.

Thanks Guys!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:50 PM   post #11 of 20
farmercharlie
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 15479

I use a mulching plate on my Gizmo 61" ZTR. It works well, so long as I mow about once a week. I mow clockwise and overlap about half the width. That way the clippings that remain after the first pass usually disappear on the next pass. My mower has a blocking plate for mulching. It's pretty easy to install. I was pretty surprised that mulching worked so well on such a large deck. If I wait too long between mowings, then I hook up the DR Leaf Vacuum, which does a very good job.
farmercharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 10:13 AM   post #12 of 20
PopRivit
MTF Member

MTF Member # 16696

My John Deere 757 has the mulch on demand feature. I can flip the lever and it mulches, then flip it back and it opens the chute.

I like being able to mulch when I'm around the driveway or other areas where I don't want to blow clippings. I also like being able to mulch on demand when the wind picks up and decides to blow the clippings right back at me.

It does an outstanding job when both in standard and mulching mode, but with the 757 and the 7 Iron deck I'd expect nothing less.
PopRivit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 04:13 PM   post #13 of 20
Chalkline77
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 73369

I have a mulch kit on order from a Simplicity dealer. I was told it is back ordered. They suggested i call another dealer to see if they have one in stock.

The second dealer told me

"A mulching kit is designed to cut the top 1/4" of grass. You will end up having to cut your grass at least twice a week if we put it on your machine." and "We remove a lot of them after a short time after they are installed".

Is there any truth to this ?

I am thinking about canceling my order or getting the kit for the blowout baffles, leaving the standard blades on the machine and making my own operator controlled discharge chute.

Thank you for any advice or thoughts on this.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:26 PM   post #14 of 20
KWDAILYD
4K poster and climbing

I bought one for my Scag and I would say he is telling you the truth. The grass must be dry and kept cut often. The mulch kit works great for what it was designed for but for an acre of ground it will slow you down alot. If it wasn't such a pain to take on and off I would use it for my front lawn. but it's not worth the effort. I think it would work great for a lawn service where they can leave one machine set up for manicuring a lawn or portion that is visible from the street. I used mine 3 times and it's been sitting in my garage 4 years untouched. $300.00 I didn't need to spend. I wish ny salesman would have tried to talk me out of it.
2012 JD X729, 62C deck, 45 loader, 54" front blade, Quick Hitch, Cat 1 3PH, Heavy Hitch. Heavy Hitch Forks. Heavy Hitch Sub Soil Ripper. Heavy Hitch sleeve hitch. 6 JD suitcase weights. 2-50# cast rear wheel weights.

Thread for 110 RF build http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=287161

1966 JD 110 RF, 580 TracVac, Home built log splitter, Stihl MS260 Chain Saw,
Stihl BG85 Leaf Blower, Echo GT2400 Weed Whacker, 20KW Generac standby generator.
KWDAILYD is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 05:33 PM   post #15 of 20
KWDAILYD
4K poster and climbing

I should add that for the deck on my Scag the kit consisted of 4 pieces to bolt under the deck supossedly to keep everything moving from chamber to chamber for better mulching, plus different blades and a side discharge block off plate.
2012 JD X729, 62C deck, 45 loader, 54" front blade, Quick Hitch, Cat 1 3PH, Heavy Hitch. Heavy Hitch Forks. Heavy Hitch Sub Soil Ripper. Heavy Hitch sleeve hitch. 6 JD suitcase weights. 2-50# cast rear wheel weights.

Thread for 110 RF build http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=287161

1966 JD 110 RF, 580 TracVac, Home built log splitter, Stihl MS260 Chain Saw,
Stihl BG85 Leaf Blower, Echo GT2400 Weed Whacker, 20KW Generac standby generator.
KWDAILYD is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.