17hp intek engine? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Small Engines and Repair

Midwest Mower Pro

Old 07-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
flash5153
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 62748
Default 17hp intek engine?

I just got this on a Scotts mower. 17/42
I can't read the numbers on engine,,but it is single,17 hp briggs intek engine with OHV.
The oil chamber was full of gas when I looked at it. Drained it out ,,figured the carb has problems. I put a shut off on it for now.

Fresh oil,,fired it up and there is allot of blowback from the breather hose going to bottom of carb,,and it smokes from exhaust too.

I figured it might clean out after a bit of running ,,but no such luck.

I'm not sure what the head looks like as far as the problem being a head gasket. Since I can't look up parts or a diagram. Does the head gasket separate the valves from cylinder??

Anyone know the numbers on this engine?? looks like 31777 but i get no info for a engine with that number.
flash5153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
RED-85-Z51
Certified Technician

MTF Member # 2950
Default Re: 17hp intek engine?

Your model # is a digit short.

But it does sound alot like a blown head gasket.

1962 WH702

1995 K3500 Silverado
TBI 454

1995 K2500 Silverado
6.5 Detroit Turbo Diesel

1994 GMC Sierra Z71
350 TBI

RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
flash5153

MTF Member # 62748

If I take some pictures,,,wondering if someone could ID the engine??

There is a tag on the engine but it is worn to the point I cannot read it.

Maybe if I put this on the john deere(Scotts) forum someone else has a 1742 with this engine in it.

The guy at the parts store don't like it when you tell him,,,,ah,,,,,"I have this engine and I need parts for it""" And then you don't have any numbers!!! lol
Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
flash5153

MTF Member # 62748

I figured it out. It's 311777. And I found out a head gasket is about $8 and does separate the valves from cylinder. That is good news for me ,,I think!

The carburetor is similar (or the same)as one I have worked on before,,and it seems once they leak,,,they can't be fixed. Or maybe just my luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	103_0780.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	220338  
Old 07-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
flash5153

MTF Member # 62748

I'm going to get a head gasket soon,,they have it in stock.

The very nice older man that sold me this tractor,,told me it started smoking and just got worse over time. And he said he took it to a repair shop and they told him it needed to be rebuilt!!!Or a new engine. He also said,,they did not even look at it,,or start it. Yep,,,He had it with him,,and they did not even look at it.

The engine was completely full when I received it,,mostly gas!! I have never seen a engine with this much fluid in it.I'm guessing 4 quarts.(all the way up the dipstick)

It makes sense to me that the carb started leaking first,,filling the oil chamber,,(causing some smoke)then it was so full,,and running,,, it blew the head gasket! (causing more smoke)

PO was lucky this thing didn't blow up like a bomb!!
He told me when I went to buy it,,that he could start it up if I wanted. This is a reason I always insist that we do not start engines with problems.

They want $55 for a carb kit,,,wow!! I will wait til I change head gasket and clean the carb first,,to try solving this issue.
I'm hoping no other serious damage has been done,,But I don't think so,,because it sounds OK running it now.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
flash5153

MTF Member # 62748

One thing that I don't understand right now is how that much gas is getting into the oil chamber.

And without causing problems on start up in the combustion chamber. Usually if gas is flowing through carb into chamber ,,it fills it and will blow out muffler on start up.
I have none of that.

All I can figure is the bad head gasket is letting it by,,out of combustion chamber.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
flash5153

MTF Member # 62748

I put a head gasket on,,and it runs like new!!! It was definitely blown.

Unbelievable!!!
Old 07-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
Walt 2002
Senior MTF Poster

MTF Member # 1229

You installed a gas line shut off valve and I would make it a practice to use it to save possible future problems.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
flash5153

MTF Member # 62748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt 2002 View Post
You installed a gas line shut off valve and I would make it a practice to use it to save possible future problems.

Walt Conner
Yes I agree,,,I did clean the carb while it was off,,,but I didn't see anything wrong. The solenoid was working as it should.

I am using the shut off. Although I don't know if the gas leak is fixed,,,there is only one way to find out,,and I don't like that way. lol
Old 07-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
38racing
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 25899

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash5153 View Post
Yes I agree,,,I did clean the carb while it was off,,,but I didn't see anything wrong. The solenoid was working as it should.

I am using the shut off. Although I don't know if the gas leak is fixed,,,there is only one way to find out,,and I don't like that way. lol
I assume you checked the needle and seat and carb bowl to be free of crap. I test mine when off the engine by mounting it to a bracket clamped to a bench with a fuel tank hanging above it. Mark the fuel line and see if it goes down or you see fuel run out of front of carb
38racing is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
flash5153

MTF Member # 62748

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38racing View Post
I assume you checked the needle and seat and carb bowl to be free of crap. I test mine when off the engine by mounting it to a bracket clamped to a bench with a fuel tank hanging above it. Mark the fuel line and see if it goes down or you see fuel run out of front of carb
Yes I did,,it all looked very clean. I run some carb cleaner and air through it anyhow.

I never thought of doing a bench test like that. It would be very easy to do,,I have a extra tank there just for this type thing. Usually I eliminate the tank on a tractor ,I buy, with my own tank. (fresh gas to test a engine.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.