L111 problem - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 05-28-2006, 08:53 PM   post #1 of 29
NapalmDeath
MTF Member

MTF Member # 2264
Default L111 problem

Hi, first time poster here. I have a L111 automatic that's less than a year old that has developed a noise problem. What happens is that when the left pedal is held down everything is normal. However, when I lift off of the pedal a loud rattling/grinding type of noise occurs when the blades are either engaged or not. I suspect maybe it is the upper belt banging around? I really don't know. I fiddled with it for a while but cannot determine what is wrong. I would like to avoid having to either pay to have it picked up and serviced or having to buy ramps and bring it to the dealer if possible.
NapalmDeath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2006, 05:52 PM   post #2 of 29
Mower_Man42
A semi-retired senior cit

MTF Member # 114
Default Re: L111 problem

Sounds like the drive belt has come off the idler pulley, or spring on the idler pulley may have let go. Time to get the manual out and do a little reading try the trouble shooting section...

Good luck

Last edited by Mower_Man42; 05-29-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Mower_Man42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2006, 08:19 PM   post #3 of 29
NapalmDeath
MTF Member

MTF Member # 2264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mower_Man42
Sounds like the drive belt has come off the idler pulley, or spring on the idler pulley may have let go. Time to get the manual out and do a little reading try the trouble shooting section...

Good luck
It will operate in forward/reverse but it's real noisy. Also, I looked through the manual but the only thing mentioned about belts is the mower belt.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:39 AM   post #4 of 29
pefer
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 70

With the seat switch activated, someone on it.
Blades off - off course!
Parking brake off, lay on ground have a look at the drive belt, specially at the tensioner assembly, you'll likely see that thing rattling away. Watch your hands/fingers, don't poke anything while it's running!!!
Also make sure the person on the tractor does not press the drive pedals!

I adjusted my L118 TRACTOR by placing a few nylon washers between the rods and the assembly, greased up the link points >>> good results, eliminated moist of the racket that was going on down there.
pefer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2006, 10:58 AM   post #5 of 29
Argee
Anything With Wheels

MTF Member # 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmDeath
Hi, first time poster here. I have a L111 automatic that's less than a year old that has developed a noise problem. What happens is that when the left pedal is held down everything is normal. However, when I lift off of the pedal a loud rattling/grinding type of noise occurs when the blades are either engaged or not. I suspect maybe it is the upper belt banging around? I really don't know. I fiddled with it for a while but cannot determine what is wrong. I would like to avoid having to either pay to have it picked up and serviced or having to buy ramps and bring it to the dealer if possible.
This is interesting...there's a fella posting over in the Craftsman forum with similar problems. Hmmmmm..wonder if the hydro's are made at the same manufacturer.

Hydro rattle noise
Old 05-30-2006, 01:48 PM   post #6 of 29
NapalmDeath
MTF Member

MTF Member # 2264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee
This is interesting...there's a fella posting over in the Craftsman forum with similar problems. Hmmmmm..wonder if the hydro's are made at the same manufacturer.

Hydro rattle noise
??? No offense intended, but the problem isn't similar at all. Mine makes a noise as soon as the pedal is released with the tractor moving or not. The noise is the same weather it's stationary, moving across flat ground, or traveling uphill. It' somehow related to the drive belt, but it sounds like it's coming from the front of the tractor. I'm guessing maybe a bad pulley up front???
Old 05-30-2006, 01:51 PM   post #7 of 29
NapalmDeath
MTF Member

MTF Member # 2264

Quote:
Originally Posted by pefer
With the seat switch activated, someone on it.
Blades off - off course!
Parking brake off, lay on ground have a look at the drive belt, specially at the tensioner assembly, you'll likely see that thing rattling away. Watch your hands/fingers, don't poke anything while it's running!!!
Also make sure the person on the tractor does not press the drive pedals!

I adjusted my L118 TRACTOR by placing a few nylon washers between the rods and the assembly, greased up the link points >>> good results, eliminated moist of the racket that was going on down there.
Did the problem with yours develop all of a sudden or did it get progressively worse over time?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:49 AM   post #8 of 29
pefer
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 70
Wink Re: L111 problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmDeath
Did the problem with yours develop all of a sudden or did it get progressively worse over time?
Since new it did make some noise, but it in fact it did get worse over time. I suppose things seating themselves and creating some slack. Or by the fact that I was aware of what was going on... I noticed it even more!

fyi: neighbors L120 also does the same noise, same spot.

I guess it can be considered normal, when the deck blades are engaged, that drowns out all other noises, perhaps that corrects the issue. :lb5:
pefer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2006, 10:58 AM   post #9 of 29
darimont
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 2025

I also have a L111 that was making a rattle noise that was coming from one of the idler pulley's on the drive belt. The bearing in idler was bad causing the whole drive tension plate to rattle. Mine was less then a year old also. I just took it off and went to my dealer and they gave me a new one under warrenty. So you may want to check them.

Last edited by darimont; 05-31-2006 at 11:01 AM.
darimont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2006, 11:58 AM   post #10 of 29
NapalmDeath
MTF Member

MTF Member # 2264

After looking over a copy of the John Deere Technical Service Manual that Michael sent me I believe that my L111 also has a bad Idler Pulley. This weekend I hope to tackle the problem again.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:21 PM   post #11 of 29
darimont
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 2025

NapalmDeath,

I responded to your message.

There are two pulley's on the tension plate, one has a V groove and one is flat. The V groove one is the one that went bad on mine. I took the bearing seal cover off of mine and it was full on rust and chewed up.

Dan

Last edited by darimont; 05-31-2006 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:49 AM   post #12 of 29
NapalmDeath
MTF Member

MTF Member # 2264

Quote:
Originally Posted by darimont
NapalmDeath,

I responded to your message.

There are two pulley's on the tension plate, one has a V groove and one is flat. The V groove one is the one that went bad on mine. I took the bearing seal cover off of mine and it was full on rust and chewed up.

Dan
Thanks Darimont, that helps me alot. I'm going to try and look at it tomorrow or over the weekend. One more question though. Does the Dealer stock Idler Pulley's or was it a special order item?
Old 06-01-2006, 08:36 AM   post #13 of 29
darimont
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 2025

My dealer had them in stock. You can go to the J.D. web site and look up the part number, then see if its in stock at your dealer. The site will list dealers close to you and show you the ones that have it.

Dan
Old 06-01-2006, 01:47 PM   post #14 of 29
NapalmDeath
MTF Member

MTF Member # 2264

Well I just finished working on the Tractor and it's as good as new! I couldn't be happier that I didn't have to bring it to the dealer and wait amonth to get it back. I started this morning working on on by driving it onto my ramps and went right to the two Idler pulleys that are mounted to the Idler plate. First I removed the V Idler inspected it and put it back on as it appeared to be in good condition. Then I got to the Flat Idler Pulley. After removing it I immediatly noticed that the drive belt had somehow burned/melted a hole partialy through the pulley. I imagine that because the Pulley was in such bad shape that it was causing the Idler plate and drive belt to vibrate excessively? I don't know what caused this to happen except maybe a foreign object had been stuck in there briefly?
I called the closest JD dealer and he said he had one in stock so off I went for a new Pulley. 5 minutes after returning home I had installed the new Pulley and finally she's good as new and running quiet. Thanks people for all your help, Darimont especially.

Last edited by NapalmDeath; 06-01-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2006, 02:14 PM   post #15 of 29
darimont
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 2025

NapalmDeath,
I'm glad I could help.

Mine would stop spinning once and awhile and the belt melted a good chuck of plastic off of it.

I bet if you where to pry the seal cover off of the bearing that it would be rusted inside. I did notice that if water gets on top of these pulley's that it will sit there. There is no way for it to drain off execpt to run it and let the water fling off. If you wash or hose down your tractor try not to spray in these areas.

Dan

Last edited by darimont; 06-01-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.